Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To grommet or not to grommet?

Default To grommet or not to grommet?

That is the question...

Default Re: To grommet or not to grommet?

If you're going to be in a very wet environment (jungle, rain forest), or on the water a lot, I would say "yes". Otherwise; "no".

I don't have grommets on any of my Kifaru packs, and I haven't missed them at all.

Take care,
    "Heal with steel"
    Buckaroomedic

"Noli nothis permittere te terere."

I have grommets on my ZXR and the Longs that are on it. I also have them on my Express. No grommets on my E&E.

Honestly I probably didn't need any of them.

Unless your plans include amphibious/riverine ops or wading throuh chest deep water with the pack, I'd say NO to the grommets. Grommets are used to allow draining of the copious water that gets in the pack when submerged. I would not get them 'just in case' the pack falls in the water (stream crossing/canoe trips/fishing), only if you plan to intentionaly submerge the pack (not just get wet).
    Last edited by steveb; 04-01-2010 at 06:28 AM.

I agree with Steve. The holes work both ways and can actually let more water in than out when you have to set the pack down in a moist environment. In the event of an accidental immersion you are better off unpacking and drying out the pack and contents unless you like lugging a lot of useless water weight around - not to mention the possibility of mold and mildew.

10-4 . thx guys

All it takes is one having your water bladder lid not properly seaed and without grommets....... It happened tp me and the grommets saved my butt.

dr.fred:

I have to ask - how in the world does one put a leaky bladder into a pack without noticing the leak???? I've had my lid get cross-threaded a time or two, but I always figure it out immediately when I'm bleeding the air out of the bladder. It's not a complicated process - just flip the bladder so the hose outlet is the highest point, then squeeze the bladder with the hose end open until all the air goes out the hose. With that done, I've checked for leaks, and my bladder is now reduced to minimum volume.

Scott

Sab--I admit it is not something to be proud of--but as an avid hardcore mountain biker-me and and number of my colleagues have experieinced the misaligned camelbak o ring on screw cap syndrome.. It doesn't show leaks while holding it up and putting it into the pack--but when compressed in the pack--and by the time it is noticed--it is too late. The o ring seal --as it ages-- sometimes becomes misseated iin the proper groove. Now as infrequently as it happens--my things stay relatively proceted. Just my opinion --proctection from sutpid operator error.

Quote Originally Posted by sab View Post
    dr.fred:

I have to ask - how in the world does one put a leaky bladder into a pack without noticing the leak????
    Scott
    I had this happen with my 1st generation CamelBak military HAWG...the leak was at the junction of the hose & bladder--undersized O-ring, later redesigned--and replaced by CamelBak. Didn't notice it because the few drops of water were mingled with the condensation on the bladder. But, under compression in the pack, it leaked, & the grommets allowed it to drain right onto the small of my back & butt.

Fun way to find out about a leak in late January!

So, it can happen. Since then, no...but I've learned more about my gear since then, too.

I have grommets in some of my gear, & not in others. No option with the HAWG, they came that way. Most of my Kifaru gear is used (OK, pre-owned might be better, 'cause it doesn't look "used"), so it came with grommets when I bought it. The stuff I've ordered new (primarily an E & E), I didn't add grommets.

David