Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243 win vs 260 rem.

Default 243 win vs 260 rem.

I have been looking at getting a new kicking around gun. I want to use it for hunting predators,varmints at long range and deer sized game in the middle ranges. It doesnt need to be a very light rifle. Sporter weight with a 20 to 22 inch barrel. Accuracy and handling are paramount. This rifle will also be used for some friendly,informal long range shooting at ranges out to 600 or 700 yards . Not a paper puncher but needs to shoot sub MOA. So mostly a sporter weight rifle with varmint rifle accuracy and just enough weight to help hold it steady from prone or hasty field positions. The above calibers are what I am eyeing so if you have experience with either please give me your two cents worth. I am getting dizzy from reading and numbers lol.

Default Re: 243 win vs 260 rem.

600-700 yards spells 260 in my opinion, no doubter there!

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by Brent13 View Post
    600-700 yards spells 260 in my opinion, no doubter there!

Brent
    I may be wrong but I think there are many more 0.264 match quality bullets than 0.243 ones. The only down side would be a tad more recoil.

I have long been a huge .243 Winchester fan, that based on years of actual field experience with the venerable .243 used on antelope and deer, and even the occasional elk. My experience is that a good .243 Winchester loaded with decent 100-grain bullets kills all out of proportion to its size and paper ballistics. Typically drops deer and antelope on the spot with on-the-shoulder shots out to 250 yards and maybe a bit more. With its light recoil, it is also a cartridge that seems very easy to shoot well and often. A very pleasant cartridge to shoot, as well as a real deathray on coyotes and bobcats.

I have no field expereince with the .260 Remington and so can't/shouldn't comment on it. Do love the .243!
    Last edited by Timberline; 11-01-2009 at 12:46 AM.
    "Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."

A lot more rifles are available in .243 than .260
    A lot more factory ammunition is available in .243
    A handloader has better match bullets available in .260
    Bullets in general will be more available in .243

I would find a rifle that you really like, and see what they offer it in, and go from there.
    The 6's sorta get dogged on by the 6.5 guys, but they do have good match bullets, they have good deer bullets, and they have excellent varmint bullets: IIRC, 55 gr nosler ballistic tip at 3850fps is about as good as a prairie dog killer as you can get.
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

-St. Paul

I don't know about the 600 to 700 yard part but if it is going to be used for a lot of varmint shooting, I'd prefer the .243 because of recoil. Haven't used a .260 but every jump up means more recoil.

Both great cartridges but given your parameters, I give the .243 the nod.
    "A Patriot Must Always Be Ready To Defend His Freedom Against His Government"- Edward Abbey

Gotta disagree with the idea that there are better bullets available for the 6.5. The vast majority of benchrest guys use 6mm - think 6PPC. There are probably more extremely high quality match bullets available for the 6mm than any other caliber but they do tend not to be extremely high BC bullets like you will find in the 6.5.

If really long range is the plan than the .260 would probably get the nod. I say this not from my own experience but from that of my hunting partner who is a very successful competitive high power shooter. He uses the .260. In his opinion the 6.5x284 is a better long range cartridge but barrel life is much shorter than in the .260. Glen, it sounds like you are looking for a rifle which will not be fired many, many times in a day but rather carried a lot and shot a few times when opportunity presents itself.

This is a tough one. I've had great luck with the 243 and 85 grain sierras for everything you mention. We started using the 260 this year and the 140 accubond is definitely a serious big game bullet. Ours is a 1 in 8 twist and it really likes the 140s best. If you went with a 1 in 9 twist 260, I think you could shoot 100 to 120s pretty fast and I do think it provides a step up from the 243 on larger game. Can't go too far wrong with either though.

Based on the research I did for long range target shooting and instant death on just about anything I can see in CO, I chose the .260. I have one in a Remington xp-100, fun to shoot, but wanted a rifle, got the Kimber Montana, headed to the range today to see how it compares to H22's Miss Kimberly of the same variety.
    Don't think you can go wrong with either, but since I had some 260 reloading stuff already, it made the choice easier.
    Let us know what you get and have fun with the choosing.