Thread: Stretching Patrick's Casserole

Default Stretching Patrick's Casserole

Just spent three days bowhunting elk at one of my high camps. I went really light...25-pound pack for three days. I tried a new lightweight meal using Patrick's Wild Casserole, and it was great. I filled a Snowpeak Trek 700 pot about 3/4 full of water, dumped a handful of dehydrated casserole in the cold water, got it to a boil on my Pocket Rocket, and then put a package of 3 oz. ramen noodles and the beef flavor powder in the pot. I boiled it for about a minute and let it set for a couple of minutes. I was great, and will greatly stretch the meals you can get out of four dehydrator trays of casserole.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com
    http://fishrigs.com/

Default Re: Stretching Patrick's Casserole

A nice idea...I have a batch of PWC in the dehydrator right now, in addition to a tray of your machacha left over from our Labor Day lunch. You're right--it's wonderful with guacamole, cheese, etc., but when all was said and done, not quite as much as I thought made it over to be dried!

"Good idea."
    Ootek, Never Cry Wolf

I'll give that a try this weekend. I'm also thinking about something similar with potato flakes and some sour cream powder or brown gravy mix. Mmmmm.....gravy.
    I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.....

Exactly what I did with Randy weekend before last. Good, lightweight backcountry eats!

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
    Failing to prepare is, generally speaking, preparing very well to do the wrong thing.
    Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide. - James Brunham
    Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
    Illegitimi non carborundum!

I can also vouch that a handful of dehydrated casserole in 500 ml of boiling water, with a small envelope of miso soup is pretty darned good, too. That was my supper last night. It tasted pretty good after a few miles at 12K feet in the pouring rain and graupel.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala

www.tenkaratracks.com

How many dinners do you guys get out of the four trays of casserole? I made some this weekend and after drying I figured that would only make four dinners in the field. Of course with the ramen, I could stretch that to maybe six or even eight, but I think my body would soon realize that ramen is just filler and would soon beg for more.

I can't wait for next Friday. Wapiti here I come!

When you are oudoors you need fats, something most dry foods don't have. Try adding a dollop of olive oil or similar to any of the above - that may what your body is begging for.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutin' Wyo View Post
    How many dinners do you guys get out of the four trays of casserole? I made some this weekend and after drying I figured that would only make four dinners in the field. Of course with the ramen, I could stretch that to maybe six or even eight, but I think my body would soon realize that ramen is just filler and would soon beg for more.
    Bump for another guy who's curious.

The dehydrated casserole already has a good amount of olive oil in it. You add quite a bit when cooking it in the wok. I don't know how many meals you can stretch four trays of casserole out to. I'll probably know by the end of archery season!

--Dersu Uzala

www.tenkaratracks.com