Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does bear scat look like?

Default What does bear scat look like?

Stupid question, but I was curious. Saw several examples of what I guess could only be bear scat. Long, formed but of too large of diameter to be made by a person or dog/cyote. Both examples were in the middle of trails. I am familiar with all the other types of scat but not bear.

Default Re: What does bear scat look like?

Ha...how many pictures do you think this thread will end up having?

Here back East this time of year, a lot of vegetable matter in the scat--specifically blueberry/blackberry seeds--will be a pretty good clue. (Out West, look for the remains of pistoleros and the odd, undigested clip ...)

Old tale:
    In black bear country, bears eat grubs, berries, acorns, all sorts of stuff, piles will be full of such pieces in various stages of digestion. Human consumption by a black bear is rare, if challenged look big and walk away slowly. They usually aren't interested in us as food.

In Griz country, carry a bell that jingles to alert them of your presence and hopefully prevent surprises. If attacked, use that bear spray if you can. Griz are hunters, scavengers, and will eat lots of stuff. They say you can distinguish griz scat because it will contain bells and smell like bear spray.

Black bear will make various forms of scat, google black bear scat for a host of pics depending on local forage.

Mid summer AK Brown Bear. I knew there was a reason I took this pic
    Ah, nice marmot!

Quote Originally Posted by mark s View Post
    Stupid question, but I was curious. Saw several examples of what I guess could only be bear scat. Long, formed but of too large of diameter to be made by a person or dog/cyote. Both examples were in the middle of trails. I am familiar with all the other types of scat but not bear.

It will look like no other scat you will see. Out here black bear scat is usually.................... very black and of bear proportions in size.

Have seen griz scat the diameter of my wrist, pile the circumference of a dinner plate and colored red as the...........well red.

It can be hugely variable. White Palm's photo is often typical of what I find in the street in front of my house. My sweetie makes a chocolate berry concoction in the fall we call bear poop and it looks much like that. Imagine that sized for an Angus bull and it is what some large griz scat may look like on tundra in AK. Think a 5 pound pile. Here's a small sample. As I recall, this one was warm….

Sometimes bear poop can also look a lot like large dog poops having a turd shape, particularly when berries are not a big part of the diet. The distinction comes with the content of insect parts, berries and woody debris +/- hair and bones. Coastal brownies may leave a lot of stinky, black fish debris. And of course, sphincter size is indicative. If a turd is more than 3" in diameter it is a relatively big bear. Duh. It all varies with the bear, location, time of year, etc. If it's on a road, chances are it's bear poop. They only seem to sh_t in the woods if there is no road nearby. Just kidding. Sort of....
    Last edited by moho; 08-30-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Here's some from bear that had to make room after eating all our food. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've seen bear scat in the spring, right after they come out of hibernation, that had nothing but grass in it because that's what they eat then to get their digestive system working after being dormant. At first it looked like horse sh** until I realized no horses had been through there.
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

Thanks. Makes sense that it would vary according to what they're eating.

You know - - - I've been asked by relatives what bear scat looks like but never thought to take a pic. Will have to do so next time. - - -