Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: dog pics

Default Re: dog pics

Quote Originally Posted by David in OR View Post
    Interesting. What does that look like? Who initiates the play, and how does that happen?

I thought that Ari looked like a serious dog. A Mal/GSD mix. Awesome.
    We have a few coyotes that live in our neighborhood. One guy on our street even feeds them, which is sad, because when they get too people friendly animal control or fish and game come out and shoot them. We had a beautiful female that got killed because she was too friendly.

When I walked Vixen up to the park at the end of our street, this female would come and stand within 10 or 15 feet of Vixen (who would be on leash), and then start hopping backwards, sideways, in a very playful manner. One day I decided, "Why not?" and let Vixen off lead. You've never seen two dogs run so fast in your life. The coyote took off with Vixen close at her heels and Vixen caught up with her several times. They ran for about 10 minutes straight, full out, through the neighborhood. When Vixen would catch her they'd disappear in a dust cloud and then emerge again sprinting. Finally when I called Vixen back the coyote followed and layed down just a few feet away from Vixen for about 5 minutes or so until I left. That was their first play session, we did it several more times after that. I was really bummed when she got put down.

Vixen is 60 lbs and aside from the black on her face and slightly shorter coat, could easily pass for a coyote. In fact one night a lady was driving by and saw them running together. When I called Vixen back to me the lady stopped and said, "I thought you had two pet coyotes". lol
    Last edited by BoulderTroll; 02-08-2012 at 01:04 PM.

No wonder Mals have become so popular for LE and military. If they can catch coyotes...

Quote Originally Posted by David in OR View Post
    No wonder Mals have become so popular for LE and military. If they can catch coyotes...
    Hahahaha (how do you make the laughing smilie?)

I think the truth is because of $$$. A Mal can work on avergae until they are about 11 y/o. GSD's average until about 9. Two more years of service life = fewer dogs purchased. Trust me, I'm firmly in the Mal camp, and I'd love to say it's because they make better working dogs, blah, blah, blah. But in honesty it's a money thing for most places.
    Last edited by BoulderTroll; 02-08-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Ah, yes, that does make sense. Slightly smaller dog makes for longer working life. Which is good for reasons other than economics, too. Saying goodbye to a dog really sucks. Better to have to do it less often.

My brother's dog, Moose, while he was still a puppy (about 50 lbs lighter than today).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mark s,
    gorgeous pup! What is he ? Did he enjoy posing as much as you...?
    Thnx you put a smile on my face.
    m
    Last edited by mountaintrek; 02-26-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Moose is an English Mastiff. He likes everybody, but you have to be careful because being hit with his tail can hurt (particularly because it is at waist level). He's about 200 lbs now. That is one of my brothers holding him (I don't know I'm man enough to lift him now).

Here are a couple pics of my Mals;

Baron

Sasha

They'll be 2yrs old April 2nd.

Setter....someone say Setters....

Alli-Gator

Rogue Assassin

Here's my boy Tor!

His favorite sleeping spot, much to everyone's annoyance... right in the way!

Out for a walk with me and the kids: note the X-ray product placement lol;