Thread: Bore sighting a lever action

Question Bore sighting a lever action

I have a Marlin 336 that I want to shoot for groups to consider hunting with this fall, I have a few loads, but all seem to group about the same with iron sights, my error being the common factor.
    I put a scope on it the other day and want to know if there is a "redneck" way to boresight it.
    I have only boresighted bolt action rifles, pull the bolt, make rifle stationary, line up cross hairs with view down bore. It works fairly well, have had great luck so far.

How do I do it with my lever action, just hope at 25 yds doesn't sound very safe? I will pull the scope once I find the best load, then I will be asking about good sights, it currently wears the factory sights.
    Thanks for any ideas or past experiences.
    Last edited by Jon S; 06-01-2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: further explanation

Default Re: Bore sighting a lever action

Well, here in West Virginia (pretty redneck!) I've heard of guys tapping a target to a wall and boresighting off of it. Never tried it though. I used a regular cheap Bushnell barrel on my Marlin GG and it worked.

I'm from GA originally, so I understand redneck!
    How do you look down the barrel from the breech end? That is my main question, I can set up a target at whatever distance, but don't have a way, that I know of yet, to look from breech to muzzle to see that target.
    Does that make sense?
    Thanks

Can't you see from breech to barrel with the bolt out? Is it still called a bolt on a levergun? I seem to rememeber that it is possible on a marlin, but not a winchester.

If you don't know how just unscrew the screw that the lever pivots on then start to work the action. The lever will slide out the bottom when it is unlocked and most of the way open and then the bolt slides the rest of the way out.

Alternatively, if you want to do it the redneck way, find a largish dirt or sand hill and aim at a can or something in the center from about 15 feet away and rough sight that way using the bullet marks as a guide then go to 25yds
    Family Land Soul

Thanks, got it bore sighted on the stop sign about 50 yds out, head to the range on Wednesday, should be fun, taking a few anti-gun teaching friends in an effort to change their minds while having a little fun myself. Something about a photo of the teacher union district rep shooting an AR will make me smile.
    Thanks again, bolt removal worked well, I will probalby begin using this method for cleaning.
    If the boresighting is off, I will try the can on the hill method, that might be fun if nothing else.
    Last edited by Jon S; 06-01-2009 at 09:33 PM.

I've been using one of those laser bore sights got it at wal mart about 40 bucks. I use a sighting in target that i set up in my basement. I use a level to get the target "true",helps align the scope, seems to work well with irons and optics.

On my 1895, I also drop the lever out to bore sight. Just remember to not lose the ejector! Nothing but the pressure of the bolt holds it in. Personal experience here!

Also, this is a good way to clear a FUBAR jam (ie, COAL titch to big).
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

-St. Paul