Thread: moccasin style boots for stalking

Default moccasin style boots for stalking

Picked up these boots to use for archery stalking for next deer season.

http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/ls855.html

They just arrived. Ended up being what I had hoped. Light weight, very comfortable and very quiet with a soft crepe rubber sole. As I also expected are less supportive as typical boots. Seem to be as quiet as converse sneakers (much quieter than full grain hiking boots), more supportive than sneakers (much less than full grain hiking boots). More expensive than I initially wanted to spend (even at 33% off). Overall very pleased.

Big beef is Company (HS Trask) advertises as "spirit of Montana" Made of Bison leather. Company is based in Maine, ships from California, and when the boots arrived found out that they are made in China.

Default Re: moccasin style boots for stalking

They look extremely comfortable.

They look like they'd be great for close-in stalking or even upland game. But out west if you don't have a pronounced heal you may find yourself on your rear, or worse, at the bottom of the mountain!
    "If you can't pack it out, don't kill it."

Joe Back. Horses, Hitches and Rocky Trails

http://www.originalatv.com/

I had a similar, but different idea-- I'd like to find some REALLY BIG wool socks that I can slip on over the top of my hunting boots. I'd carry them in my pack, then when I was ready to start a sneak, I'd just slip them on over my boots. I'd want big, thick, soft wool socks that'd be really quiet. However, I can't find any that are big enough. Anyone know where I can find a huge pair of socks like this? I've searched online, but struck out so far. I'm looking for something like a size 20 foot or so, because I wear an 11.

While this might not be a nice as the boots in the original post, I think it would work pretty well.

“We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities.” -Nessmuk

How about sewing up some fleece "socks". Don't have to be pretty just functional.

Personally I like retaining the ankle support of my hiking boots. But I want to quiet them down for stalking in close. So, I've gone to buying some camo polar fleece material and just making some booties that fit over the hiking boots. Works great and is inexpensive. Just outline the boots on the material and then sew the tops on that piece. You can use velcro as a fastener for the wrap around top. Works for me during the archery season when it hot and dry.

I have some of these..maybe overkill..but are REALLY quiet.
    http://www.militarymorons.com/equipm...ear2.html#thor
    designed for military but maybe sneaking around..

I've used altama desert boots and love them if the temp is above 25. They have a thin sole that really let's you feel every twig. They give enough support for 30 mile humps with 100lbs+ or ten mile runs with 30.

Unfortunatly my last pair gave up the ghost and I need to start saving for a new pair. I got more than my moneys worth though.
    Fire without movement is a waste, movement without fire is suicide.

Please excuse all grammar and punctuation mistakes. I'm posting from my phone.