Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle for hunting / fishing / playing

Default Motorcycle for hunting / fishing / playing

Not sure where else to post this...

I am considering a motorcycle for several reasons-looking at a dual sport that would be street legal around town and also capable of off road jaunts. I really like the Royal Enfield style but I am afraid they may not be very reliable-may just try to find a good used Honda or Yamaha. I proably would not go on highways much if at all.

Anyone here have a bike they use for such things? Looking for recommendations on size of motorcycle and what options/accessories would be beneficial.

Philos

Default Re: Motorcycle for hunting / fishing / playing

Hey Philos,
    I use mine to get me to the area I am going to hunt, fish, hike... fairly often.
    Mine is pretty big for much off road but that suits me fine because I would rather hoof it in the backcountry. There are several folks on this board that do the same and the choice of bikes seems to match their area, riding style, personal preference....

lots of good bikes to choose from that will haul a load and cuise the backroads.
    Yamaha TW, Vstrom, Ktm's. Where are you going to use it? Cross country or out to the back forty?

I am a BMW GSA fan.... but that's just me.

Bitt

The new beamer twins
    BMW F 650 GS
    BMW F 800 Gs

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

Get R Done ---All you need is the aluminum panniers
    Last edited by Ed C; 04-02-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlustr View Post
    Hey Philos,
    I use mine to get me to the area I am going to hunt, fish, hike... fairly often.
    Mine is pretty big for much off road but that suits me fine because I would rather hoof it in the backcountry. There are several folks on this board that do the same and the choice of bikes seems to match their area, riding style, personal preference....

lots of good bikes to choose from that will haul a load and cuise the backroads.
    Yamaha TW, Vstrom, Ktm's. Where are you going to use it? Cross country or out to the back forty?

I am a BMW GSA fan.... but that's just me.

Wonderlustr,
    how do you transport your rifle?
    M

I am touring around South Korea camping and so on. I just got a Hyosun Mirage 250; more than enough for the roads here which are mostly paved even up into the deep moutain villages. It will go over gravel but it is certainly not an off road machine; plus being Korean made parts are easy to find and cheap to get:

Though I was tempted to buy a BMW 650 Dakar :"No motorcycle can do everything, but the BMW F 650 GS and the F 650 GS Dakar come close. Based on the fundamentally flexible "enduro" concept, the F 650 line has been carefully developed to meet a broad range of requirements, to enable cross-country travel in comfort as well as jaunts across town with consummate ease."

See : http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-moto...mw-f650-gs.htm
    But that would have set me back around 9000 for a used one, of which there are several for sale in Seoul... one of these days maybe though I think I would rather have a tipi and stove first.

Good luck,

MT
    If A then B; ~B; Therefore ???

http://modustollens.org/

Here's a place to get your adrenlin pumping: http://www.advrider.com/

I have two dual sports, an '05 Yam XT 250 and an '03 Honda XR 400. My son rides a Yam WR 400. Both my XR and his WR have been "dual sported", which means they are street legal, which means no city cop, highway patrolemean, fish cop, park ranger or wilderness wacko can say anything to me as long as I stay on legal roads and trails. I use the 250 as a bike for wife and daughter to ride when I'm in a motorized camp and it gets used a LOT by me and my son for around town stuff. I can't imagine anyone wanting to own one of those stupid scooters when they could have a dual sport that will get them on the trails and out of town. I don't do any serious camping or hunting off my motorcycle, but I use my XR a ton for getting to trailheads for hiking and I just happen to be carrying a sidearm. I have been known to carry enough gear to do an over nighter but it is the exception, not the rule. I always wear MX boots when riding and just switch out footwear when I hit the ground. I think the big bikes like Wanderlustr owns, the big KTM's, Beemers, Kawis etc. are great for adventure traveling and I must admit I may have to give it a try someday. I've owned some big bikes, Beemers and Goldwings and like "credit card camping" on a bike, maybe again, time will tell. I love the old air cooled thumpers for getting into the backcountry. The new 4 stroke (wanna be 2 strokes, ala CRF's, et. al) are not for me. Designed for racing, they are way too high strung, and maintenance hungry. Keep the air filter clean and change your oil every thousand miles and an air cooled thumper will run forever. I can travel a hundred dirt miles in the same time it takes a truck to go 30 on rough backcountry roads, which means, if I have a day hike in mind, I can get to the trailhead in a quarter of the time it takes in a truck. If you are interested in packing a lot of gear, tipis, stoves, multiple day stuff, you better get a bike with lots of luggage. Day hunts, get a smaller dual sport dirt bike. The Yamaha XT 250 is absolutely bombproof, check out the dedicated thread on Adventure rider forums. They are used around the world to do amazing things. Or look for a 1998-2004 XR 400R with a Baja Designs dual sport kit on it and already licensed in your state. Open up the air box, aftermarket exhaust, billet aluminum fender rack and a top bag or even saddlebags. You can carry an amazing amount of gear if you are willing to do some modifications to the bike. Lots of good ones to be had on the used bike market. There are many other good bikes, I'm just partial to big red and XR's. Trailways are good if you want to putt more than go fast. The old Big wheels were awesome but they are hard to find, people never get rid of them. If you are new to off road, don't go too big, especially when you throw large gas tanks on, a big bike becomes very top heavy on rough roads and trails. Tires make a huge difference and the rubber used by most of the big bike dual sporters are a poor compromise on the rough stuff. When you start getting 60 miles from civilization on a dirt bike, you also need to consider the knowledge and tools required to get you home and getting a sat beacon should be considered; and of course, someone should always know your general location. Here are some luggage links. I'm partial to the Giantloop product if you are serious about camping off a dual sport, it can carry some GEAR!

http://www.dbzproducts.com/
    http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Saddle/index.html
    http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

Adevnture rider : Great site! Thanks. Lots of nice shots there...I will pass that on to my riding buddies here in the ROC.

Quote Originally Posted by elmbow View Post
    Here's a place to get your adrenlin pumping: http://www.advrider.com/

I have two dual sports, an '05 Yam XT 250 and an '03 Honda XR 400. My son rides a Yam WR 400. Both my XR and his WR have been "dual sported", which means they are street legal, which means no city cop, highway patrolemean, fish cop, park ranger or wilderness wacko can say anything to me as long as I stay on legal roads and trails. I use the 250 as a bike for wife and daughter to ride when I'm in a motorized camp and it gets used a LOT by me and my son for around town stuff. I can't imagine anyone wanting to own one of those stupid scooters when they could have a dual sport that will get them on the trails and out of town. I don't do any serious camping or hunting off my motorcycle, but I use my XR a ton for getting to trailheads for hiking and I just happen to be carrying a sidearm. I have been known to carry enough gear to do an over nighter but it is the exception, not the rule. I always wear MX boots when riding and just switch out footwear when I hit the ground. I think the big bikes like Wanderlustr owns, the big KTM's, Beemers, Kawis etc. are great for adventure traveling and I must admit I may have to give it a try someday. I've owned some big bikes, Beemers and Goldwings and like "credit card camping" on a bike, maybe again, time will tell. I love the old air cooled thumpers for getting into the backcountry. The new 4 stroke (wanna be 2 strokes, ala CRF's, et. al) are not for me. Designed for racing, they are way too high strung, and maintenance hungry. Keep the air filter clean and change your oil every thousand miles and an air cooled thumper will run forever. I can travel a hundred dirt miles in the same time it takes a truck to go 30 on rough backcountry roads, which means, if I have a day hike in mind, I can get to the trailhead in a quarter of the time it takes in a truck. If you are interested in packing a lot of gear, tipis, stoves, multiple day stuff, you better get a bike with lots of luggage. Day hunts, get a smaller dual sport dirt bike. The Yamaha XT 250 is absolutely bombproof, check out the dedicated thread on Adventure rider forums. They are used around the world to do amazing things. Or look for a 1998-2004 XR 400R with a Baja Designs dual sport kit on it and already licensed in your state. Open up the air box, aftermarket exhaust, billet aluminum fender rack and a top bag or even saddlebags. You can carry an amazing amount of gear if you are willing to do some modifications to the bike. Lots of good ones to be had on the used bike market. There are many other good bikes, I'm just partial to big red and XR's. Trailways are good if you want to putt more than go fast. The old Big wheels were awesome but they are hard to find, people never get rid of them. If you are new to off road, don't go too big, especially when you throw large gas tanks on, a big bike becomes very top heavy on rough roads and trails. Tires make a huge difference and the rubber used by most of the big bike dual sporters are a poor compromise on the rough stuff. When you start getting 60 miles from civilization on a dirt bike, you also need to consider the knowledge and tools required to get you home and getting a sat beacon should be considered; and of course, someone should always know your general location. Here are some luggage links. I'm partial to the Giantloop product if you are serious about camping off a dual sport, it can carry some GEAR!

http://www.dbzproducts.com/
    http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Saddle/index.html
    http://www.giantloopmoto.com/
    If A then B; ~B; Therefore ???

http://modustollens.org/

I rode a KLR650 for several years. It's not the greatest off road and not the greatest on road but it sure does a lot of things well. The new version appears to be much refined for roadwork and they are a bargain for a do it all motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaintrek View Post
    Wonderlustr,
    how do you transport your rifle?
    M
    I am a archery guy - that is a bow case strapped on the back in the bottom picture.
    When I lived in MT I had a Honda trail 90 with a gun scabbard on the front fork. That was pretty slick. I used it mostly for my canoe paddle as the 90 was my self contained shuttle service.

I ride with a lot of guys with KLR's and really that seems to be the most bang for your buck.

Last edited by Wanderlustr; 04-03-2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: it needed a picture :)
    Bitt

Talking Re: Motorcycle for hunting / fishing / playing

If money is no issue go 1200 GS or 990 ADV. I had a KLR and it is a Swiss army knife, but strong head winds and weighted down you will be aggrevated on the freeway. I had a Versys and a Veestrom as well. The V-Strom is a good bike, but not a dirt bike. I am getting ready to get another now and will go 800/1200GS or 990. See here for everything adventure motorcycling. I scouted for elk all on bike last year!
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/

Good shoot'n!