Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reattaching rubber soles to hiking boots

Default Reattaching rubber soles to hiking boots

Anybody have to reattach their rubber soles to hiking boots. Used my boots to put out a slow moving grass/leaf fire. The heat seems to have broken the bond between the boot and sole. These are Asolos that should still have a couple of years of life left. So far I am considering a commercial product (shoe goo), contact sealer like that used to seal thermarests, an industrial sealer used to attach rubber roofs. Any ideas or experience? I know the correct answer is use a shovel or water to put out grass fires, not your feet!

Default Re: Reattaching rubber soles to hiking boots

Barge Cement was orignally developed to attach soles to shoes. If the soles have separated cleanly this is probably the best to use. Spread a thin, even layer on both sides, let dry to the touch and then carefully line up the sole and press home. Apply even pressure on the sole and let sit overnight to cure completely before wearing.

+1 for Barge Cement. I first started using it years ago to keep my Hippie Slippers (Birkenstocks) alive, but later discovered it works well on hiking boots too. There are or were at least three boot makers in my town in the last few years, and they all use a glue very similar to Barge Cement. It may actually be Barge also, but in much larger containers.

Go to www.mcnett.com they have a special cement for that as well as alot of other interesting products.Tim

Send them up to Dave Page Cobbler in Seattle and get it done by professionals.

http://www.davepagecobbler.com/

Over the years, I too have had good luck with Barge cement, though never on anything as ambitions as complete sole reattachment. For that, I'd take them to a pro.

This past winter, after many years, I again tried Shoe Goo to repair some light hikers. Not only was it ineffective due to poor adhesion (well cleaned surfaces), the chemical stink was so bad and persistent, I finally had to throw the boots away.

I'd go with a pro as well. The problem is finding a cobbler who knows what he is doing. I had a delam issue with my "new to me" pair of Asolo Yukons. I took them to a cobbler I'd had decent luck with before. He repaired them, and then the same thing happened a week later. I tried the other cobbler in town, who immediately said "oh, this is the harder italian vibram, you've gotta use a different glue than you use on american vibram". He used the diff glue, and then sewed on the sole for me as well. No issues since then. Guess who always gets my business now?

I did repair a pair of vasque norwegian welt boots that delaminated on me my first fire season. I didn't have money for whites to start, so I wore what I had. We were on the road and I was out of commission without boots. I repaired them with shoe goo and short drywall screws. The sole was still firmly attached when I retired them in favor of whites 3 weeks later.
    We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Quote Originally Posted by evanhill View Post
    The problem is finding a cobbler

Nah, the problem is buying junk that can't be resoled in the first place........

Nah, the problem is buying junk that can't be resoled in the first place........
    That's the start of it, but I've known of a couple of good pairs of boots that were ruined by bad cobblers. It just breaks my heart to think of my old (pre buyout) Olathes sitting neglected in the closet with a bad rebuild job.
    We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Hell yeah, I had a pair of whites and a pair of olathe customs ruined by bad cobblers. Both ruined on the resole neither junk. I am still a bit pissed and it has been years in both cases.
    Family Land Soul