Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .300 Ultra Mag vs. .338 Ultra Mag

Default .300 Ultra Mag vs. .338 Ultra Mag

Howdy,
    I'm in a little bit of a situation, I'm looking to purchase a new hunting rifle for myself and I do not know what I should get. I want a long range, flat shooting, high caliber rifle that will knock almost anything over but not ruin the meat. I have narrowed it down to my two favorite rifles, the .300 Ultra Mag and the .338 Ultra Mag. This year for deer hunting, I borrowed my fathers .300 Ultra Mag and killed myself a nice 3x4 whitetail buck. The shot was about 400 yards running away from me and I put the crosshairs on the back of its head and bam, end of story . So I must say that the .300 UMag has some serious range, but I still want bigger but will shoot about the same. Then, I took one of my buddies out shooting and he brought his .338 UMag. I tried shooting it and i noticed that, even with a muzzle break, it had some serious recoil. But I was shooting groups about the size of a 50 cent piece at 350-400yds. So, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Curly
    "One shot from a small caliber weapon in the hands of an expert is three times better than a magazine full of elephant killing rounds in the hands of an untrained fool."

Default Re: .300 Ultra Mag vs. .338 Ultra Mag

Curly, what do you plan to hunt? If nothing bigger than elk/moose, I think you'd do fine with any magnum in .300, especially since your experience with the .338 is "serious recoil."
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

OUCH! I just checked my recoil charts and that 338UM has about twice the recoil of my 300WSM.

I enjoy shooting too much to have one of them! [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img]

Killing is shot placement, more than cartridge. I'm presuming that you're a young fellow, since you're talking about your father's rifle.

But please consider this. 300 and 338 RUM ammunition is running near $90 per box. You may want to look at some less expensive ammo to buy. The 300 WSM, for example, is $52 per box (gasp!) with the 180 TSM, and it shoots pretty fast.

Meat destruction depends upon bullets, too.

If your two choices are restricted to those calibers, there's nothing in the lower 48 that you can't kill well with the 300 RUM, and it kicks less. That would be my choice.
    This message board is here to advance the art of back-country hunting, fishing, and soldiering in a spirit of good fellowship. Some of the best hunters and finest folks in the world post here. If you're new, welcome, learn, and contribute.

I've got a ton of time behind big 30 and 338 cal rifles. If you want to hit hard and hit very far the 338 cal is a big step up from the 30 cal. Big 338's are purly violent and lethal out to one mile when running the 300 gr. SMK or Richard Graves' Wildcat Bullets.

The 338 RUM, 338 Lapua, 338 EDGE, 338 Allen, 338 excalibur. All of these will hit hard and hit far way out yonder, especially the 338 Allen.

I personally use the EDGE and Lapua rounds, they are what I own. Remington currently offers an 338 Lapua in their "tactical" lineup. If I were you that is what I would purchase, and I'd reload my own.

Why.

Well from experiance I can tell you that it's less expensive to go the 338 Lapua route as you'll be using Lapua brass and the quality is far better than the Remington brass for the 338RUM. In other words it lasts longer and is more consistant in quality. That alone seals the deal for me, not only that, but the Lapua is a slightly faster as well.

The Remington 700 in 338 Lapua is an economical way to actually have a rifle capable of one mile capability.

I'd suggest another forum on this subject that I frequent like snipershide or Longrangehunting.com, you'll find a lot of info if you go there and just use the search function.

You'll find mountains of info there onthis subject

Idaho Lad, I went to the Remington site, could not locate a 338 Lapua in any models. Could they have discontinued it? Or did I just miss it. Would be very interested in a Remington in this caliber. Thanks RBird

That's right, it's not listed on the website. But remington does have an law enforcement/military site where one is listed and my guy who is an ffl/dealer can order Remmy 338 Lapuas.

It is an limited run so that may be why it isnt listed on the sporting site Remington has.

Another option/ albieit heavy, is to go with an Armilite AR-30.

Also Barrett has an M-98 in 338 Lapua due out in 2009.

One can also get an Sako, Surgeon, GAP, AI, PGW, Van Dyke, APS, and Defensive Edge just to name a few in this 338 Lapua.

The Remmy 338 Laps run around 1k.

Wyoming hunter,

in addition to Smokepole's question regarding intended game animals, what do you consider long range?

Also, how do you intend to field this rifle: stationary or mobile?

50 cent groups at 400?

Hitting running deer in the head at 400?

You must be quite the shot. I wouldn't sweat the meat loss hitting them in the head like that.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities.” -Nessmuk

Quote:
    The shot was about 400 yards running away from me and I put the crosshairs on the back of its head and bam, end of story

BULL****
    Build a man a fire and he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.