Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single bevel broadheads & extreme FOC

Default Single bevel broadheads & extreme FOC

Studies and reports primarily by Dr. Ed Ashby have clearly demonstrated the penetration advantages of single bevel broadheads and extreme FOC. I believe the findings will eventually change the archery industry's notions about ideal arrow and broadhead configuration for maximum penetration.

Currently several countries in Africa mandate minimum amounts of kinetic energy. Usually to get KE numbers as high as they mandate an archer is required to shoot a very heavy compound with relatively light arrows. That combination maximizes KE but may very well not maximize penetration of the arrow (which actually kills the animal being hunted).

Among the many studies documented by Ed, the one that I find most interesting is how he used heavy arrows with extreme FOC and properly-designed single-bevel broadheads and consistently achieved much greater penetration in his test animals than he achieved with a much heavier bow with "normal" arrows and broadheads. Fascinating stuff!

I've been shooting bows for over 4 decades now and that at least qualifies me to have an opinion. And I fully recognize and appreciate the very old (and true) saying about how "everybody's got an opinion.....". But if one reads Dr. Ashby's reports with an open mind and takes the time to study the results I believe their notion of an optimal arrow for maximizing penetration will be effected. I highly recommend his work which can be viewed on the TradGang website here:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...ubb=forum;f=24

Default Re: Single bevel broadheads & extreme FOC

I've read through Dr. Ashby's reports as well. While the studies don't employ 'scientific method' per se (which would be completely impractical), his records and descriptive reports are extremely extensive. His records are probably many times more extensive than any other studies of this topic to date, and the information they provide have tremendous value.

I know that alot of people think his conclusions are only relevant if hunting heavy dangerous game, such as elephants, Rhinos, or Cape & Water Buffalo, but I've seen poor penetration even on whitetail deer, even with proper shot placement, due to poor bow setup or (more commonly) failure of broadhead (including some supposedly high end broadheads).

Flatbow, that's precisely the key conclusion: if you can increase the penetration of your setup by simply changing the FOC and broadhead bevel (and perhaps increasing arrow mass weight) then why not?

Even on relatively small game like whitetail deer it's possible to hit a scapula. While doing so is anathema and to be avoided at all costs, one of the more recent tests performed by Dr. Ashby showed that with a modest stickbow and with proper arrows the scapula was consistently penetrated and the broadhead passed through the vitals.

Obviously none of us ever wants to make a poor shot. But for anyone hunting with a lighter bow then the conclusions reached by Dr. Ashby are as important as if you or I were hunting Cape Buffalo with an 80# bow. Too much penetration is never a problem.

I have read Dr. Ashby's work as well and bought into it.I set up my elk arrows for this year along those lines.I shoot a 65# tomahawk LB so I have put together arrows from 700 gn to 750 gn. Beman MFX 340 at 29.5(shaft length) 100 gn brass insert with a 100-125 steel adapter and 2 different broadheads the grizzly(160gn) and the eclipse(145gn).Both travel like darts. the difference is the grizzly is a single bevel and the eclipse is a dble bevel and teflon coated.I find that in my target shooting the eclipse penetrates better than the grizzly even if I shoot it with a lighter arrow.I wonder if that will translate to the real world.Now I am working with which trajectory I am more comfortable with between the 700 and 750 gn arrow because there is a noticeable difference

Hey Nake,

Good luck with those elk! With your longbow and either of those arrows you won't have any trouble with your elk, so I think your approach is perfect. Pick the one that you like the trajectory of better and go with that one.

My in-laws have a ranch and vineyard in Paso Robles. SLO is a mighty pretty place.

Whats the name of the vineyard /ranch I have some good friends that work in the wine/grape industry in SLO county that might know them.
    as for the elk. I leave 22sept for montana.I have done the work I hope I get blessed with an opportunity.

R&E Ranch is the name of their place. I know I'm biased, but I think it's one of the most scenic vineyards (great terroir) in SLO county.

I leave 9/11 for Alaska in hopes of rekindling my near-relationship with the biggie that got away last year! Good luck with the elk.

I too have been adjusting arrows for an extreme FOC. I have found that I can shoot a wide range of front weight with carbon arrows 35/55, big 3 feather fletch from centershot bows in the mid 50 lb range---all use 100 gr brass inserts, BH weight with adapter can be from about 165 gr to 315 gr. I do have to allow for the arc on the latter but very quickly adjust after a few shots. I like the way the higher weights thump my target.

Nake, remember that the Eclipse is telfon coated and this will glide through foam easier.

Will someone let me know what FOC is, I own a compound bow, shoot it pretty well and read this message board with some interest in the pursuit of learning more about what I don't know.
    Thought that reading the above posts would clue me in, but no luck yet.
    Thanks

Jon,

Here's a link that describes FOC very clearly:

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery9.html