Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New product ideas for Kifaru! - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New product ideas for Kifaru!

Default Re: New product ideas for Kifaru!

Here's another one for the New Idea folder, is it possible to adapt the Omni Yoke to the USGI issue MOLLE Ruck? From the looks of it a scaled up version of the platform and suspension with the ability to adapt the pack to it would be a whole new market.
    About a year a go after carrying both the Gen II and Gen III MOLLE rucks through Mountain Warfare (one for each phase) I tried every combination with the suspension to make it comfortable with no success. I then searched the internet for replacement frames with no success. This eventually led me to your company and the rest is history.
    I am definately a fan of Kifaru and when I run in to someone carrying a Kifaru a conversation is soon to be started. Initially the price scared me a way but later I conceded. It would be a great intro to Kifaru for those unfortunate enough to have the discretion (uniformity nazi's) to carry an other than issued pack. Drop me a line if you need some more input.

Johnboy_iii

I'd like to see someone make a medium weight jacket with a hydration sleeve in it. Can't believe nobody's done it before.

Just a thought, to lure in a wider customer base, and derived from my experiences trying to make the abysmal ALICE pack better...

How about an adapter component to allow an OmniBelt to rig on an ALICE frame? Would mount primarily wnere the tension buckle goes on the base of the frame, just not sure how you get the delta strap ladderlocs positioned - but that's mostly because I've junked all my old ALICE gear, so I can't fiddle with it to do some more preliminary design.
    "Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."

here would be my "perfect" ruck for my military aplication.
    an Express sized bag, maybe a little larger and use the suspension from navigator, etc... to take a great load amount IF neccessary.. but the narrow sizeness more or less from it, I would like to have a top lid like an Xray, with a radio access zipper. NO bottom lid, BUT use a panel. like a super sizd XRAY, all in PALS webbing so it can be configured. my need for this is radio ops, and the Exrpess is such a great pack, and the narrow design lends itself to better manueverability I think and feel, but I like and NEED the aditional organization from a panel loader yet the top alone is a good way too, and NEED and LOVE the radio access points from a marauder/pointman/ navigator pack line. ya get my drift? I'd do anything to get that dream pack... any help on procuring a prototype Mel? lol...

On that note, how about an "lightweight"-military pack series? Maybe use a packcloth similar to hunting packs or a new material, but in coyote, foilage, OD, and maybe AUC or MC. This stuff is still fairly bombproof. Maybe keep some PALS, but a reduced ammount. I'm thinkin a stream-lined design similar to some civvie packs (taller but narrower) to facillitate skiing, climbing, etc. As far as volume/size; a daypack in the 2,000 cube range, a weekend/3 day at about 3,500 cubes, and maybe a 5,000 cube pack for extended missions. Perhaps the packs would have an integrated XTL like lid and wrap-tech plus like suspensions. Another option is to make a hybrid of the popular hunting series packs, just add a little PALS in strategic areas (or not) and offer em in military colours. It seems like a lightweight pack system could compliment the Kifaru line of lightweight bags, clothing, and shelters. Speaking of shelters! There seems to be a glaring hole in the market for light-weight, subdued colour, complete shelters. Maybe a coyote brown lightweight tent, complete with netting, floor, and fly using sil-nylon and featherweight poles. A one, two, and four man models should fit the bill. I know Eureka and Catoma make military tents, but they are very heavy for the "fast and light" mode. Subdued, Bombproof AND Ultralight...impossible, maybe; expensive, probably! However, I think this is the future of top-end gear.

I think that if you are considering making a tent, it should be a two man, single wall, Coyote Brown, with good ventilation to compensate for the silnylon trapping moisture. The Eureka Zeus EXO2 would be a good starting point-it's bombproof and is lighter than most one man bivvies, yet comfortably sleeps two with room for gear under the vestibule. Love that tent, it's just not the right shade of green.

Further, I'm having a hell of a time finding a good motorcycling backpack. If Kifaru were to make one, I'm sure it would sell. Bike riders aren't up on the whole Hydration Bladder idea yet, so there would be a novelty sales point there, and the packs are well build with market credibility.

Come to think of it, soft saddlebags would also be a good thing to look into.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnboy_iii</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's another one for the New Idea folder, is it possible to adapt the Omni Yoke to the USGI issue MOLLE Ruck?...</div></div>

And while you are at it I would like to see one for the ALICE. Along the same lines, those guys who cant carry a KIFARU pack for the uniform nazi's would have a solution to the comfort issue while still utilizing the pack thats accepted.

Gotta get that belt thing figured out though...as we cant always use it.

I would be more than happy to T&E one Mel.

Crip
    Do or do not; there is no try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOtherDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come to think of it, soft saddlebags would also be a good thing to look into. </div></div>

I was thinking the same kinda thing for our pushbikes, but then it occurred to me that 'all' you need is some sort of pannier frame with attachment loops for slotted female buckles so you can dock & lock... My thinking has got as far as long pockets or back pouches/E&Es for this sort of use, but I guess you could also rig a piggyback mount for a larger pack (maybe an XRay, sideways)?

It's on our project list, albeit quite a way down. Interested to see if anyone else has done anything similar.
    "Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brotzie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOtherDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come to think of it, soft saddlebags would also be a good thing to look into. </div></div>

I was thinking the same kinda thing for our pushbikes, but then it occurred to me that 'all' you need is some sort of pannier frame with attachment loops for slotted female buckles so you can dock & lock... My thinking has got as far as long pockets or back pouches/E&Es for this sort of use, but I guess you could also rig a piggyback mount for a larger pack (maybe an XRay, sideways)?

It's on our project list, albeit quite a way down. Interested to see if anyone else has done anything similar. </div></div>

I did a D&L on my motorcycle. I simply added the female buckles and some web loops to the bike's luggage rack--the E&E or a pod are the perfect fit. My bike is the KLR650--the same bike the marines use [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

I think Kif should do pack liners/travel covers for the military line. Basically a quarter bag done in coyote silnylon with extra loop handles on the side, but a few sizes to fit the different bags (as few sizes as you can get away with). It would be big enough to go OVER the bag to keep all the straps from getting caught during baggage handling.