Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PODs on the XRay

Default Re: PODs on the XRay

Quote Originally Posted by Futui View Post
    To each his own of course, but if your plan from the start is to expand the xray as much as possible, why not start with a bigger pack? Just because there are PALS on every side doesn't mean it will carry well covered in pouches.
    +1.

I've carried a 70lb X-Ray. Quite a few times. Biking home from the grocery store (with long pockets, canned goods). Being a tourist in HI (wife and 2 kids...). 5 days in WY (cause I'm an idiot, and 'needed' a .500 S&W to protect the food my goofy friend thought we couldn't live without). I now have a Duplex. Can ≠ should....

Now that we've interjected our versions of reason, my view of X-Ray utilization is multiple chamber pockets on the inside panel, a claymore on the outside. Bulk of the weight inside next to the stays toward the bottom. Mel mostly showed what it could do, lightweight bulky items won't break you. My feeling is 40# and less is where this size pack shines, daypack for hunting. Many say less and feel that discretion is the better part of valor. I tend to learn the hard way, and putting myself in painful situations makes women think I'm cute, quirky, attractive. (I tell myself anyway)
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

If i didnt move to a desert I would have stuck with a TG1 and EE but need to carry alot more water than when I lived in WA. Want to carry base camp items in pods/pockets so once camp is set I can scale the pack down to the size I consider appropriate for scouting.

Have larger packs but hate the size once food, shelter and sleep system are set up.

Ultimatly plan on a duplex with cargo panel set up with assortment of pods n pouches so anything purchased now I know can be used for that rig later.

Soooo about that front pocket...anybody ID it?

Rob, my plan is to do just as you said and carry lighter bulky items external in pockets/pods. Primarily thinking my sleeping bag and bivy in a pod on bottom. Tarp and other shelter items on the side pockets and food in the pocket on the back...so is that a claymore?

So again the idea being to set camp and scale down the bag vs hauling a half empty larger pack around.

Donno what the load weight will be here in CA but I will need less in the way of shelter and probably 2x the water if not more than I'm accustomed to. Previous pack weight for 3 day 2 night trips was 30-33 lbs. I figure the lighter sleep shelter needs will be made up for with water and pack weight should land about the same. At any rater I dont see ever exceeding 40 lbs so if thats the threshold then I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by AO6 View Post
    Soooo about that front pocket...anybody ID it?
    Yup, Claymore of some sort. They're going away, but the Rhino Den has them in 500D in MC and Coyote...

http://store.kifaru.net/500-light-claymore-p16.aspx
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

West Coast USA, staying close to home... for now.

I would sooner pull pockets off a Xing than add pockets to an X-Ray. I've done some "touristing" with a 75 lb Xing and it's surprisingly doable.

I love me some Wrap Tech and Duplex but for carry in areas where a "substantial" pack attracts attention, Xing wins. Rob's Pointman (my previous favorite Kifaru pack) is a ***y lil' thing, but it's still Xing by a nose. This is the opinion of someone who HAS been ogling Bikini frames and is intrigued by this "Wolf Grey" thing...
    __________________________________________________ _________
    No like, no buy. Because 'merica. And thanks for reducing our wait time.

Quote Originally Posted by straps View Post
    I would sooner pull pockets off a Xing than add pockets to an X-Ray. I've done some "touristing" with a 75 lb Xing and it's surprisingly doable.

I love me some Wrap Tech and Duplex but for carry in areas where a "substantial" pack attracts attention, Xing wins. Rob's Pointman (my previous favorite Kifaru pack) is a ***y lil' thing, but it's still Xing by a nose. This is the opinion of someone who HAS been ogling Bikini frames and is intrigued by this "Wolf Grey" thing...
    If you want to look less tactical, and spend less, find an old Mountainsmith Tyrol (Express predecessor) or Rock-It (Xing predecessor), if you're intrigued by the real 'G1' or are a dirtbag who thinks these new 'retro' bags are for posers...) :-) Finding a cheap MollEx with long pockets prevented me buying a Xing.... (and having a Duplex, and ongoing War Department (wife) scrutiny.....)

Following the bread crumbs of the trading post Im thinking my X-Ray was your previous X-Ray Rob! So far I have only loaded ballast weight in it around 30lbs and walked under a mile with it around the homestead. Must say Im very pleased with it so far, cant wait to take it out to BFE.

Just a curious question..
    Those awesome pouches..
    who are they made by??

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk