Thread: Squeaking Boots: Gotta Fix ?

Default Squeaking Boots: Gotta Fix ?

Hi guys. Well, I've always had problems with my boots cause of fallen arches and all that brings along with it. Got a new pair of leather hunting boots shortly before the season started, but theyre not broken in yet. - - I do have a pair of suede leather hiking boots that I've had for awhile and are broken in, but have never used them for hunting because they squeak. (Ive also got a pair of lighter weight leather/cloth constructed boots that are quiet and comfortable but don't offer the kind of ankle support and traction I would like for elk hunting.) Any ideas on how to quiet down leather ? (I've also got a leather shoulder holster for a 1911 and never use it cause of the same reason.) Thanks for any suggestions you can provide. I'm a bowhunter and need to be quiet walking through the woods. Regards, - - -

Default Re: Squeaking Boots: Gotta Fix ?

Apply a generous amount of Obenauf's and rub it in. It will also condition the leather and make it highly water resistant.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com
    http://fishrigs.com/

Sawtooth is right for a first step. It is good for the leather even if it doesn't stop the squeek.

If it is the tongue that is squeeking as it slides against the boot, you can put a little peel and stick velcro (loop side) on the one side to stop the leather-to-leather contact.

Talcum powder can also help to buff the finish down smooth after you apply the Obenauf's and let it set for awhile.
    Patrick "Super Badger" Lavalley (Formerly PDX_DVX)
    http://www.patricklavalley.com

Thanks guys - - I've got lots of Obenaufs for my new boots so will apply them to the noisy ones to see if it'll help. Regards, - -

In a pinch in the field(my Han Wags start this leather to leather on the tongue area at strange times) I just grab my tube of chapstick and hit the area and its gone for some amount of time.

Jeff
    Get as close as you can, but use your skills as needed.

I have the adhesive backed felt/moleskin used on Bow risers on the inside of my boot uppers to quiet the Squeek...

T&S Manufacturing Guest

Your squeak fix will be more effective if you first identify where on the boot the squeak is coming from. Sometimes the squeak comes from the footbed rubbing against the innersole (and vice versa). Or, the squeak is coming from other internal components that aren't securely fastened, and which rub against each other as the boot is flexed. If thats the case, there's not much you can do apart from disassembling the boot and ensuring the offending components are fastened securely to each other. Only a good boot repair place can help you there.

It's possible, but not that much in quality boots these days, that in boots with a sewn on sole, the squeak could be coming from the seam that fastens the boot proper to the sole. Use a quality leather conditioner (oil or wax...depending on whether the leather is chrome or vegetable tanned), or in a pinch - as excellently noted above - rub in generous amount of Chapstick.

Finding the squeak requires a real quiet room, hallway, etc; and a whole lot of patience to walk back and forth, hunched over to hear where the squeak is coming from....or....standing still and rocking one foot back and forth over and over again till you get a good idea where the squeak is coming from. At that point you might take the boot off and flex it in your hands to really pinpoint exactly the squeak source.

Find the squeak source first and you'll be more than halfway to eliminating the squeak.

I applied the Obenaufs and it made a huge difference. Think I'll apply another coat and will be good to go. - - The boots are suede and all I have ever used on them is a waterproofing spray from REI that was super effective in keeping out any moisture. But, unlike the Obenaufs, the spray did nothing to help with squeaking. - - Thanks again for your suggestions. I should be able to get a little closer now without spooking the game [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]