Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olive green vs. foliage green...

JasonB Guest

Default Re: Olive green vs. foliage green...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XOGA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    In the past, there was good evidence that olive drab (in some hue) was the best all around solid color for camouflage. Experience is that it is a good choice for most non-desert (read: temperate or tropical) environments. It may still be the best overall solid color. But it's gone from the US military for the present. </div></div>

I had a pair of Spec Ops X-6 Pouches in OD strapped on a Camelbak HAWG(dyed sage green that was once 3 color desert) out this spring in KY. The sage green hawg would disappear, the 2 OD X6 pouches really, really stood out despite there being a lot of green at the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XOGA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Foliage green is a gray-green from the modern UCP. It's not a perfect match for anywhere, but it's also not a bad match either. My experience is that it reflects a lot of the color around it, and appears more gray in photographs than it does in person. Someone in this thread has already mentioned that because it is US army spec, there is ample cordura, webbing, and furniture that color matches perfectly.

Ranger Green is darker than olive drab or foliage, and is likely superior to either in any dark woodland environment.
    </div></div>
    My CB Talon was grey in pics and grey in person, absolutely no green what so ever. Still blended in well, much better than OD green. The newer HAWG in FG I have is green, but not like OD. Seems like I saw someone asking if there had been a shade change on foliage from another forum as well? British OD has a different shade to it that does seem to blend in well, but probably no better than the foliage. May have to try some RG soon too.

Black, long popular in camouflage patterns, has the effect of creating the illusion of depth to the naked human eye. Interestingly, there's not a lot of black out there naturally, and hence it may be a 'wrong' color everywhere outside a peat bog. It also is very identifiable in thermal imaging, which is why it has been disappearing from modern camouflage patterns (including from the original versions of the US army's UCP). Please note: black is in the woodland version of MARPAT.</div></div>

I go hiking a lot and usually a small black dog is along on the trip. My foliage pack blends in, my buddies woodland pack blends in(and the packs are the same size or larger than the dog,) but that little black dog stands out amazingly well, even in the dark last winter, ditto for any black gear along on the trip. There is black stuff on the ground around here, but black material(or animal fur) in black seems blacker than black, almost like there is a missing spot.

Brown is 'the new black'. Brown is nearly ubiquitous in our world, and is one of the few colors that occurs both in desert and temperate climes. It is almost never the 'wrong' color. This is why the USMC has gone with brown for all of their gear - it will work well in any environment. You'll note that there is a fair amount of brown in multicam.
    </div></div>

The new Arc'teryx packs are in woodland Marpat. I think brown works well wherever too. Usually if there is any green to justify OD there is more brown anyway and available year round.

Just remembered one slight caveat to fears about using coyote as a hunting color and maybe a strike against foliage. 2 weeks ago was the first time I ever saw a white tail doe taking on a fall/winter coat. In summer they are noticeably brown, but this one was about 50% brown/50% grey that looked alot like the Swedish rucks ever place used to have a couple years ago. Never really dawned on me while seeing them in the fall/winter before, but they are more grey than brown then.

Another thing, did anyone catch the show on The History Channel about camo a few years ago that had a lot of people from Natick? According to the show and the people interviewed, EVERY color/pattern put out by the US in the last century worked well when new, but not when it faded(which doesn't really seem to matter up to a point,) but Marpat didn't get the disclaimer on fading. Is there something about Marpat that resists fading or was it just a BS thing? I know the UCP stuff seems to blend in around here when new, but I have seen some lightly worn uniforms(ie. no holes or tears) that were almost white.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: towheadedmule</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How close is the Foliage green color to that of the WWII German Feld Grau? It seems to be fairly close.

Russell
    </div></div>

and coyote brown is very close to WW1 doughboys. hmmmmmmm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JasonB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there something about Marpat that resists fading or was it just a BS thing?</div></div>

Marpat fades pretty bad too, I have one woodland set that pretty much could pass for deserts, or ACU.

I noticed the older OD (WWII and earlier) was more greenish brown than the current more brownish green. (Note I am red-green deficient so not to be trusted on color descriptions - I calls 'em as I sees 'em.)

Virtually all of my gear is OD now, but if I was starting over I would probably go CB as a base color with either some camo pattern or OD for pockets.

I live and will probably spend the rest of my life in the northeastern forests so OD is not bad for the area.