Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best way to carry .44 Mag. on bow hunt

Default best way to carry .44 Mag. on bow hunt

Guys,
    I am not getting any feed back on this post on the Hunting side.

Going to AK in a couple of weeks. Black bear on the beach in the Prince William Sound area. I will be carrying my Ruger Redhawk ( 5 1/2 in. ) and using my Pointman. I will be hunting with my longbow.

I have the Kifaru Holster adapter for my hip holster. During my walks in prep for the trip the gun/ammo/holster seems very heavy and pulls the pack belt down.

Does anyone have any experience with a shoulder holster and or a bandoleer type holster? Will it work with the Pointman? Any makes and models will help my in my search.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Default Re: best way to carry .44 Mag. on bow hunt

rnd3789,

I can't help much with the alternatives re holsters. But perhaps I can advise you to wear that Pointman waistbelt tighter. If it's really tight it shouldn't pull down to the point of bothering you. This, from my own experience as well as from many users with big wheelguns.

I pull the pack belt as tight as I can stand, above my hips, and let it settle down. Then, after a few minutes of hiking, I raise and tighten it again.

Good luck. I hope you have a memorable hunt.
    This message board is here to advance the art of back-country hunting, fishing, and soldiering in a spirit of good fellowship. Some of the best hunters and finest folks in the world post here. If you're new, welcome, learn, and contribute.

RND 3789

For what itís worth, Iíve a Spike Camp and an MMR that Iíve used with a Galco shoulder holster that I believe is called the Miami Classic. Iím not entirely satisfied with the rig as the exposed front sight tends to hang up as I shed the pack and Iím not smart enough to change the way I drop the ruck (muscle memory, once developed can be hard to change). Iíve also carried in the hand warmer pouch across the chest which I really like. The down side of carrying on the pack is that once you drop the pack you drop the gun. The beauty of a handgun is its presence. I have seen chest rigs that place the gun horizontally (or nearly so) across the chest. Iím not an archer, but suspect that may cause you problems, but itís an almost ideal place to locate the gun while wearing a ruck in my limited experience. I've also decided to try out the Packsafe. I've got a couple of trips upcomming that I think are best served with that type of carry. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

I use the Bianchi Military Model UM84R Ė Universal Military Holster (nylon) for my S&W 329PD. It fits perfectly on the PAL'S on the waist belt of my Kiffaru MMR and easily transfers to my belt when not wearing the pack. Comes in black, WC and OD

This is from the Bianchi web-site: The UM84 series represents the commercial offering of the M12 holster. Fits both revolvers and most semiauto pistols. Its unique, ambidextrous design, when worn with other Bianchi accessories, provides several of different carry modes.
    "Recoil is your friend"

Try the old tanker style holster. El Paso sadderly for one makes them. They are nice for carrying not quite on your chest but not under your arm either.
    Family Land Soul

poel Guest

I usually spend several months a year working in interior and coastal AK carrying a large handgun in a belt holster using various types of packs. I typically put the gun belt and holster on first and leave the belt a little loose, then put the pack belt under the holster so that the pack belt takes the weight. When you drop the pack the gun stays with you. As others recommend, I cinch the pack belt fairly high and tight and readjust occasionally.

I find bandoliers and shoulder holsters interfere with most pack straps and the gear I'm usually carrying in a field vest. Some of my cronies manage to carry short barrel .44s in nylon shoulder holsters but they admit there are sometimes issues when bending over and crouching a lot.

This year I mostly carried a 71/2" Redhawk with BB 340 grain hard cast, using an old Uncle Mikes lefty nylon flap holster. I carry that on the right, butt forward to reduce contact with the pack when sitting or climbing. Not quite as quick to draw but so far it has been quick enough. Having a shoulder holster under your rain gear can slow you up a lot. For wet areas in AK, nylon has significant advantages over leather and if you do much brush crawling, consider a flap holster if you can find one. Per Eagle6's post, the Bianchi UM84R may be the only option of that type these days.

You carry right side, butt forward and draw right handed? Interesting.

And you can get a safepacker made to fit a revolver if you want a flap. They get to be pretty big by that point, though.

poel Guest

"You carry right side, butt forward and draw right handed? Interesting." Yes.

But carrying that way is a compromise for that gun and a particular mix of activities.

Guys,
    Thanks to all of you for your quick replys and input. After some fast pace research I have found what I believe is a solution for me. I have ordered the Bianchi 4100. This holster can be worn as a traditional hip holster AND as an accross the torso holster. It is recommended for my Redhawk as well as many other guns in the 5 1/2 --6 1/2 inch range. This will allow me to experiment with both methods.

Patrick and Kevin---I tried your suggestions on my walk tonight and I found things much tighter and better. My problem is I have a 53 inch chest and NO A__! So things tend to go south on me like pants, belts and packs. Thanks for the advice.

Can't wait to get to AK
    Nick