Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pyromid.

Default The Pyromid.

My uncle seems to pull out gear items I have never seen before. Anyone ever heard of a Pyromid? The thing cooks using very very little charcoal. Not ultra light but packs down flat. Looks like something from space.

Well that is the crazy Pyromid. Never seen one before but betting someone on this MB has.
    WARNING DO NOT TOUCH HOT STOVE
    -----SEVERE BURNS MAY RESULT------

Default Re: The Pyromid.

Wow.... [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    Don't just do something, sit there and think.

I got tired of losing Ebay auctions and gave up trying to buy one. They regularly go for over $100, depending upon size and accessories, condition, etc. They were the bomb in the day. If I remember correctly, the guy went out of business because years ago people simply would not pay top dollar for a high quality, stainless steel grill that cooked with very little charcoal. No market.

Time have changed. I think there would be a very good market today for canoeists, backpackers, eco greenie types as well as survivalists.

I hear rumors from time to time that he'll be back, but so far nothing. I bet the patent has expired....maybe a Kifaramid...
    In case of emergency, please hang up and dial America

I do have a "Hoppes Sportsmans Stove" that is a sheet steel stove that converts from a wind break with a grill to a square hobo type stove. Never seen another like it - no reference on the net, etc. I had to actually do a patent search to find a mention of it. Some guy got a patent on it in the 50's and sold the rights to Hoppes for mass marketing. Too heavy for backpacking, but I keep it tucked away as a collectors item.

TR.

The thing worked very well. The top can be closed to cook chicken etc with high heat. My Uncle said he tried to buy some stuff for the stove but his mail was returned. Top quality construction too. A bit heavy for back packing in my view however for the kayak or base/car camping I bet the thing would be just fine. It does cook with very little fuel. I too agree that the eco-people would like it. However can they justify cooking meat? Maybe for cooking a large squash using a minimal carbon footprint. [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]
    WARNING DO NOT TOUCH HOT STOVE
    -----SEVERE BURNS MAY RESULT------

Veggie burger? [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Tell your uncle to watch ebay. Put in a 'saved search' on "Pyromid". It'll email him anytime someone offers up anything relating to it. I've seen everything from new in the box complete systems all the way down to the foil liners for sale.

On second thought, tell him to put it in a box and ship to Alabama. [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] No return mail guaranteed.

One of the really neat features I thought was the grate that kept the individual charcoal briquettes in the vertical position, thus exposing a greater surface area on each briquette, with the resulting better burn rate and minimal suffocation rate. Neat touch.

I bet somebody that's good at fabricating stove gizmo's could fabricate an insert that would fit into a Kifaru stove that would hold briquettes upright...

WW

http://www.pyromid.net/
    Notice that all of the manuals are still on-line.
    I am sure that an engineer like yourself could create whatever your Dad is looking for from the manuels

Plodder

have had my Pyromid grill for 20 some years now and it still works fantastic. I used it last week on the coast to grill up some hamburgers. When I first got it for Christmas I cooked a 4# roast, potatos and carrots on the front porch in a snow storm. I was amazed that the meal was cooked using only 9 briquettes of charcoal. Mine gets used a lot and I look forward to using it on my motorcycle adventures.
    I too have been looking for additional units. I would like 3 more... 1 for the RV, 1 for the bike and 1 for the boat.
    Clean up is a breeze if you use foil under the grates. You do not need to use the foil pouches (which were cool). Just use regular foil, one sheet each direction and poke some vent holes in the bottom.
    I really wanted to get a smoker attachment for mine but waited too long. I keep hoping they will start manufacturing them again...

Oh yea, about that grate... The briquettes can be placed on edge for high heat or placed flat for longer duration lower heat. Lots of control using the hinged top and the fire grate for your chosen meal. Everything from low and slow, even smoking to high temp grilling. It is one of my favorite pieces of gear ever.

Looks like a good grill, something to think about once a fire ban is on.