Thread: Bushcraft, Some of my 'western' memories......

Default Bushcraft, Some of my 'western' memories......

Allen, I had one of them gray horses once.....

My kids went to a branding once.......

Here is Spanky. And the rest of 'our gang'.....

Then they got their own horse......

This one made the cover of the Cowboy Chapter of the fellowship of Christian athletes 25th anniversary magazine....

Can't leave out my loverly bride.....Yeah, I married the rodeo queen...Cowgirl pefection 1976 NLBRA Model.

And she hunts, too.....

And to think she fell for a failed ol' bull rider....

I DID stay on top ONE time, tho.

One more each of the kids and OL'GRAY....

I didn't want to add these to your thread, but wanted you to see 'em. Don

Default Re: Bushcraft, Some of my 'western' memories......

Great photos, Don. I sent them to Laura, so she could see who her son speaks so highly of.
    This message board is here to advance the art of back-country hunting, fishing, and soldiering in a spirit of good fellowship. Some of the best hunters and finest folks in the world post here. If you're new, welcome, learn, and contribute.

Nice collection of photos you've got there Don. My favorite is the second - there is no place that the little fellow behind you would rather be and it's painted all over his face.

Those pics with the kids playing on their ponies cracked me up! Are those kids riding POAs? I had a white one that was nearly identical to yours except mine had a little more pink around his eyes and nose. Called him Teddy after my childhood hero President Roosevelt. He was short, pudgy and had a personality like that of TR so the name was fitting. My grandfather picked him up second hand and he came with all sorts of interesting habits. Roughest riding, barrel withered horse I ever rode. Had a keen knack for stepping on toes and puffing up. Barn broke bad - I had to kick and crop the heck out of him to keep up with my grandfathers fast steppers, but there was nothing that could beat him home. I had a love hate relationship with that horse. Perfect kids horse really.

Those photos of your lovely bride remind me of Ian Tyson's song " Barrel Racing Angel". It'd be a heck of a show if you could make it to Pendleton on Sept. 14th.

Thanks for sharing.

Allen

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
    Failing to prepare is, generally speaking, preparing very well to do the wrong thing.
    Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide. - James Brunham
    Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
    Illegitimi non carborundum!

Kevin, You sure you did the right thing? She may never let him come back now.....

Bush, Thanks, glad you liked 'em. The white pony may have been POA, don't know, Her name was Sugar and she was a real sweety. One of the few great and honest ones. She was about 10 when we got her. Won grand champion pony at fair a few times. She had some health issues and died a couple years ago. Buried her in the pasture and the coyotes dug down to her. Killed 3 before I filled the hole back in. The little paint is a Navajo pony, hence the name Indian Arrow (kids named him) I really think he is just a small stunted horse. He has taught a whole passel of kids to ride. My wife is a trainer/riding instructor and gives him a lot of work, mostly vaulting lessons(kinda gymnastics on horseback) He is another rare find, none better, and a world-class packhorse, too. As for my kids, one is a junior in college at CSU and the other is a junior in HS. Niether ride much anymore. Too interested in baseball or girls......

I like the heck outta Ian Tyson's stuff. And Don Edwards and Chris Ledoux. Never made Pendleton before, and to tell the truth, I can't stand to WATCH rodeo anymore. It's just not the same bein' in the stands. It's the wrong side of the fence. I gotta be down in the dirt, either flanking or pulling gates or judging the roughstock........

Great photos Don treasures indeed. Does your wife still do barrels?
    Build a man a fire and he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

No, No barrels or goats. Breakaway ropes some. Mostly into Dressage now. Tough game......But way different than what we growed up doing. We have known each other since we were juniors in Little Britches Rodeos. Even dated a bit in school. Then I moved to Craig for a while, and we got back together when I came back to the front range for work. She was still single and I wasn't going to let her get away the second time....... Man, that was 22 years ago.......Don

Congrats time flys when you have a great life.
    Build a man a fire and he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Well said, Ed C!!

Don..great collection of photos and memories!

My sons are like yours in that they have other sports they prefer. (Westy and his brother each had the stall cleaning job for my partner and me. We usually had 5 or 6 timed event horses going at a time) I'm like you. It's been an adjustment to "watch" a rodeo. That may be cured as he is trying to lure me out of "retirement" once, again.

I'll be in Pendleton (as spectator, unless the comeback goes really well) on Sept 11th for slack and the PBR and the 12th for the First Perf. Let me know if you get a wild hair and decide to go.

Buck

I'll do that.......