PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Rendezvous Report - Part II

Timberline
05-20-2007, 05:52 PM
As if to point out how game-rich this area can be, shooting had to be halted on the range midmorning Thursday when a dandy antelope buck wandered out of the trees and stood teasingly right next to the 300 gong. Three of us sat on Huntsman22 to prevent any lapses in judgment.

Ozarkrambler drove to the Rendezvous all the way from some flat place, Ozarks I guess, with his young boys in tow. Those little rascals averaged about two bricks of .22 shells a day, and kept everyone in stitches. I’d hate to be a squirrel or rabbit in their country as those boys grow up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRendezvous044.jpg

Smokepole was shooting a several excellent rifles that weren’t exactly smokepoles, including this fine Kimber Montana in .308. Note the custom paintjob on the stock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRendezvous049.jpg

Some time back, Kifaru posters went into a frenzy painting the stocks on their Kimber Montana rifles, banishing the factory battleship gray stock finish to obscurity. Here are three “upgraded” Kimber Montanas that found their way to the Rendezvous. On the left is my own Montana with olive base and black web. Center is Huntsman22’s Montana with tan base and black web. Right is Smokepole’s Montana with camo base and black web.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRendezvous094.jpg

Here’s a broader view of the shooting line. Many a cap was popped. Note Huntman22’s wall tent dead center and the two shade shelters. We are a reasonably civilized lot at the Colorado Rendezvous.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRendezvous116.jpg

Gunsmith Ralph with the latest version of the Kifaru Rambling Rifle. Very light and very deadly. Ralph had three barrels made up for this one. Soon says Patrick

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRendezvous130.jpg

Here’s me shooting off a set of African shooting sticks with a new 7x57 Mauser. Sadly, no impala were spotted all weekend long.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRendezvous163.jpg

The biggest draw during the rainy spells was Patrick’s always-toasty 16-man tipi.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRendezvous102.jpg

Inside, great plans were hatched and thousands of elk died. Left to right are Herb, Smokepole and Sawtooth trying to figure out how many pack goats it would take to haul three bull elk over the continental divide.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRendezvous103.jpg

Others conversations were ammunition-based. Huntsman22, Ozarkrambler and two of Ozarkrambler’s boys discuss the camp’s dwindling stockpile of .22 shells.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRendezvous108.jpg

Bare ground where the tipis once stood. I’m the last one to leave. Twelve months until Colorado Rendezvous 2008.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRendezvous177.jpg

Huntsman22
05-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Timberline, Great report and pics, man......(thanks)

Well, I wanted to get up weds. night to get in on the promised steak dinner, and hopefully be able to help get camp set up, as I always seem to be just late enuff that the hard part is done when I roll in. Due to my lack of employedmentation, I was first on the scene. I set up a wall tent on the range(both to sleep in, and be a catch-all for the benches and cronies and miskal-anious gears that seem to be left down there), next was the requested shade tarp in case the sun made a skin-scortching appearance. Second to show was merhardt and company, Patrick was held up in the traffic jam, down at the sprawling metropolis that is the town of Jefferson. Soon after his arrival, the 16 man tipi sprouted and the 500 yd. gong was placed. Another tent was erected in the crossing above the rifle range to keep folks away.
For those who have not met Herb, he is a healthy hard-huntin' fella with some unique pack goats and a wonderful ability to change a chunk of raw beef into a mouth-watering dinner. Breakfast was served kinda late, as the tipi sessions lasted into the weee hours. His food and all the work that went into the fixin', was sure much appreciated by all whom partooked. ('specially me).(I just hope he comes back <grin>......
Thursday morning dawned too early for most folks there, but alas, it was I, that was awakened by the lightening sky. The urge to call coyotes, beckoned my butt outta the sack. The result of my effort to furnish a speciman for a skinning demo, magically appeared at a bad angle. I promtly shot a front leg offen her, just so I could slow 'er down for a spectacular following head shot. But,,,,, I missed..... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif it took a third attempt to put on the anchor. Since I consider Timberline a pard, I wanted to oblige his every request for a demo(and shade...) /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
When I returned to camp, to show off the results of my hunting prowess, all were still zonked out..... So the only thing to do was go back to bed or go shooting. They now know that I will be taking advantage of the lack of wind in the early hours, to wake up the cook, and get in some fine groups, to boot.
After breakfast, I next set up the rifle and rimfire ranges as Patrick and crew set up the rest of the tipis. More attendees filtered in during the day and next. On Friday evening, young Matt and his Grampa Dick rolled in. Being eager and all, Matt HAD to pop some caps before dark. A few of us wandered down to watch. Someone noticed a couple trucks and tents set up right behind our gong. Well, I knew they had to be kicked out, so's the weekend crew could use the range. I asked for volunteers to back up my little butt as I played bad-a$$. No takers.....They were quick to leave, after bein' told they set up camp on a Superfund toxic lead dump. Nice fellas, so I invited 'em over to shoot the next day. They never showed.....
Me and Smokepole tried for coyotes the next day. But as everyone who goes out with him knows, he's bad luck. But he is such a nice guy, the luck part don't matter...... It sure was good to see him clanging way too regular, with his two rifles.
Other highlights to me was, seein' those boys of Ozarks, run 4 bricks of .22's thru my ol' 62-A pump gun. I hope next year somebody can bring a singleshot to slow 'em down. When they burned thru 2 boxes of 17 hummer, I knew I couldn't afford their new-found habit. Had to switch to the cheap stuff....
Good visits with fine folk, and missed ol' elmbow, chris57 and the others that coudn't make it. Maybe more later.....Don

Huntsman22
05-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Another fun thing we did..... Minutes before ozark had to leave, 2 of his boys were on the range with me and Matt. Matt busted a watermelon with the .204. Me and the boys had a 75 yard dash (more of a mad scramble) to gather up the edible pieces. Them boys are probably still sticky-faced........They'll remember that for a while.<snicker>

Kevin
05-21-2007, 09:35 PM
While he didn't blow up his nose or anything like that, Huntsman22 brought a lot of fun to the weekend. Any kid that got to spend some time with him was very darn lucky.

Smokepole
05-22-2007, 04:57 AM
Well, now that Huntsman has accused me of being bad luck I've gotta clear the air here. As Mr. Harvey used to say "and now, for the rest of the story."

I had thought it fortuitous that on the first morning there, Huntsman, having promised a coyote skinning demo, connected with no problem. But I noted that he didn't take anyone along for that particular hunt. Well, on the second morning I was sound asleep in my tipi when he drug me out by the sleeping bag, tearing the bag and leaving the filling strewn across the prairie. It was lamilite, so that didn't bother me. Stuff's biodegradable.

Anyway, we attempted to call in some yotes, but no such luck. Then he proceeded to show me the place where he connected the day before, which was down in a swale. I could see the blood trail and it looked like the coyote had been hanging out in this spot for quite some time, with a couple of beds dug into the dirt, and piles of scat everywhere, just like you see at a kennel. Right then, I was thinking that Huntsman was such a good yote hunter, he'd found a den site!!

But then something shiny caught my eye, over in the grass. Empty alpo cans!!! I was thinking "what a coincidence" when I saw the rope marks on the aspen tree. Now, I'm no coyote lifestyle scientist, but I'll let you all draw your own conclusions.

William Clunie
05-22-2007, 05:04 AM
Excellent photos and stories. When I become rich, all I'm going to do is hunt, fish, and go to every Kifaru rendezvous available. I love watching folks shoot, especially the kids -- soothes a savage heart.

William Clunie

merhardt
05-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Smokepole-that would explain why huntsman had to "take care" of something Wed. night in the middle of a 16 man tipi beer huddle.
MIke

William Clunie
05-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Smoke,
I don't know if you are trying to tell us that Huntsman got lucky with the yotes because he used Alpo to bait 'em in, or that you were unlucky because the lamilite stuffing scared off the coyotes?

William Clunie

Ed C
05-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Alpo cans and ropes. Funny stuff Smoke. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Huntsman22
05-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Smoke, you dog.... Trade secrets are supposed to be just that. Secrets, my man. If you let any of sawtooth or singleshots out, you'll be all alone in the woods........Don

Sawtooth
05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
If he lets any of mine out, we're all in trouble. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

singleshot
05-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Here are a few more pictures.
Matt shooting the xp 100 at 400 yard gong.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/IMG_0342.jpg
Ozark and sons eating in the big tent.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/IMG_0333.jpg
Ozark checking out the sleeves.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/IMG_0327.jpg
Bryce boys shooting shotgun.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/IMG_0347.jpg
Aaron, Singleshot, Brian, and Roberto
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/IMG_0365.jpg
Herb shooting the xp 100 at 400 yard gong.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/IMG_0340.jpg

Cameron
05-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Fantastic pictures!

It was a great weekend! Extremely enjoyable meeting the Kifaru crew.

Does anyone remember the dimensions of the 500yard silhouette and gong?

Thanks,
Cameron

Huntsman22
05-22-2007, 05:19 PM
12x16

Timberline
05-22-2007, 05:26 PM
It's always interesting to total things up at the Colorado Rendezvous.

Crocs count: Sawtooth, Patrick, Singshot and various women and children. Definitely not Huntsman.

Titanium stuff: Damn near everyone.

Swiss Army Knives: More than in Switzerland.

Sporks: Sawtooth.

Pack Goats: Herb

Smokepoles: Smokepole

Handguns: Everyone with a puzzled look on their face (as in why did I buy this thing because I sure can't reliably hit anything with it beyond about ten yards, although it sure is a fun way to make noise)

Coyotes: Huntsman

Weird but tasty raw tuna in a bucket (to be pasted around the wood stove) - Kevin

Re-painted Kimber Montanas - Huntsman, Smokepole, Timberline

Scope Eyebrow - Smokepole (almost)

Fastest, Loudest, Baddest WSM - Smokepole (see above)

Most offspring - Ozarkrambler (Herb's goats don't count. Or maybe they should, as Herb did bottle feed each one)

Most hits on the 500-yard gong – Huntsman’s Ruger .204 (which also inexplicably took three shot to kill a coyote at 50 yards)

Shooting benches of all heights and shapes: Singleshot, Huntsman, Ralph, Timberline.

Watermelons: Huntsman, Huntsman, Huntsman

Viking Mead - Kevin Morlang (the late night raid on Jefferson was forestalled when we couldn't figure out how to make a pickup truck look like a Viking longship)

What else, guys?

Huntsman22
05-22-2007, 05:36 PM
SSShhh, Don't tell anybody, but Patrick actually spent a little time in a shelter not of his hand. We had a nice visit in the toasty wall tent when the tipi was a bit packed. I think he is still surprised that it didn't blow down........Don

Huntsman22
05-22-2007, 05:42 PM
And speaking of making noise.... I submit that next year, firearms with initials, be restricted to 5 rd. mags. That goes for A.K.'s, A.R.'s, M.P.'s, F.A.L.'s, or U.Z.I.'s. Just a thought...... Oh, and no music blastin' radios. Some of us don't hit the hills to listen to anything but guns and birds....... That's just my take, anyway. Don

Huntsman22
05-22-2007, 05:45 PM
And Timberline even accused me of bein' "a full-auto guy".......

Sawtooth
05-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Timberline,

You'd better add Kevin to the Croc Camp. He had the all-terrain model.

And also added:

Most Microtex on hand: Westy

Most funny stories: Rod Hayes

Most disintegrated carbon arrows: Sawtooth

Loudest snore: Herb

Had the most fun: Isaac and Henry (OK, all of us!)

Most 45 Long Colt shots fired: Timberline vs. Sawtooth (tied?)

Most smoke from a campfire: Singleshot and sons

Best host: Patrick and Kifaru staff

Coziest tipi: The four man with Herb's goats sleeping inside!!!

I could go on for quite a while with this! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

CCH
05-22-2007, 06:40 PM
The point that shouldn't be lost is that Crocs were worn by "many women and children".

Also, there was someone with more titanium than Sawtooth? I heard that even his cup -- not the drinking one -- is made of ventilated titanium.

Kevin
05-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Hey, I'm proud of my second childhood!

CCH
05-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Glad to hear you chose the childhood explanation... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Herb
05-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Biggest Smile -- Huntsman22, and it only got bigger when he got Ozark's boys grinning too.

Crooked, bent, ruined, lost arrows -- Sawtooth, Smokepole, Herb. Just as well been shooting at rocks, those stumps are hard, but much fun.

Must have List -- Really like the laser grip sight on Ozark's pistol.

Hot Loads -- Good to stand back when Smokepole starts shooting the Premium stuff, Smokin fast.

Great Planner -- Bodark brings his wife and family to pick out one tipi that pleases her and one for him.

Nice Find -- I left a partial box of Fat Tire, will the finder please not let it spoil.

Great Advice -- Please don't camp next to the 500 yard gong.

Cleve
05-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Sigh...
Wouldn't have missed Jessica's college graduation for anything, but I am sorry to have missed this Rendezvous. Looks like the usual fun (and then some) was had by all.
Would have really like to see Huntsman's demo on skinning that 'yote.

Timberline
05-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Guys we missed (and talked about) - Cleve, CCH and Elmbow (and surely others)

Patrick
05-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Most interesting "alternative" titanium user: Huntsman 22, whose titanium hammers (!!) are superb instruments indeed.

CCH
05-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah, my ears were burning. At least some of my gear made it up. Missed you all too. Was really looking forward to seeing some more photos from Timberline and Huntsman22 as well everyone in the flesh. However I got to see some serious BB gun shooting and tomahawk throwing at Magness Adventure Camp (Cub Scouts). No Crocs sighted there on women or children however.

Chris57
05-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks to all for the thorough stories and pic's. Almost feels like I had made it! Big mistake not to have...

Missed y'all, thanks again for the great report!

Smokepole
05-25-2007, 07:33 AM
Timberline, how about these:

Tall guys with multiple sons who make him look short--singleshot (see photo above, singleshot is no shorty)

Traditional bow shooters who could match westy's accuracy on the stumps with his Mathews Legacy.....(Jules, where were you, man?)

Person who had the most fun burning bricks of rimfire ammo....well, there's been some speculation on this point. Some say Henry, some say Isaac, but I say 'twas an older kid.

Most sirloin blocks served---Herb. Three and counting, I'm hoping we can add to the total next year.

Westy
05-25-2007, 09:25 AM
I don't know Smokepole...those stumps were in danger all around - team effort really.

ozarkrambler
05-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Well, we made it home from the great state of Colorado. As always we had a fantastic time, both at the Rondy and for the week following. There is not a lot more to say than has already been said. It is a great feeling to be among like minded back country voyagers. There doesn't seem to be very many of us, but the ones I have met are a definite cut above the rest.

Patrick, I would like to say thank you for a wonderful time. My boys had the time of their lives, and I always leave with a desire to spend more time in the high country. I could sit and talk guns, gear, and ideas with you till the cows come home. Hurry up and get Ralph to modify you a Mod 60 with a red dot sight and back-up irons. This will make such a fine rambling pistol that it will be almost beyond reproach. I will post all of the stats and figures I wrote down this evening or Monday.

Huntsman, I can't thank you enough for the time you spent and the patience you showed with my three 22 shooting, melon eating, brass picker uppers. They had a great time and they can't wait to come again next year. Oh, and all that watermelon you fed them right before I left, I got to see a bunch of that again about 20 miles down the road. It wouldn't have been near as funny if it had been in the back seat instead of on the side of the road.

Sawtooth, sorry we didn't make it by your place. We had every intention of stopping, but with the cold front that was coming through, the Mrs.’s didn't think camping up on a ridge on your back forty was as good of an idea as I thought it was. I'll make it someday, more than likely when I take the boys to Gunnison fishing. I too enjoyed the gear talks and I look forward to your trip along the Colorado trail next year. I'd love to discuss your preps for this as time approaches.

Everyone else, Smokepole, Singleshot, Kevin, Ralph, Timberline, and all the others, I sure enjoyed the time spent with all of you. You are a fine group of people. We'll see all of you next year.

Ozark

Pilgrim
05-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Pilgrim here,
The CO Rondy was great! I spent 4 hours round trip to have about 4 or 5 hours there and it was totally worth it! (I had originally planned much more time, but...)

I haven't been on the forum since then due to just a lot going on, but one little thing: Did anyone notice they have an extra green double folding chair?? I left in the well-used 16-man tent on Saturday night.

Back to the Rondy -- It was so rich in great people, fun stories, excellent shooting and a Colorado Mountain view that was almost heaven! I am smiling 10 days latter just thinking about it!

Have to run, but thanks to all for a great time!

PS,
I passed on my pics of Herbs goats posing in the tipi and other shots to Kifaru Staff on that following Tuesday. (I knew if I waited for me to get them up, it might be many moons.)

Pilgrim

Smokepole
05-30-2007, 05:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Timberline</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's always interesting to total things up at the Colorado Rendezvous.
What else, guys?</div></div>

Timberline, add this to your list:

--19oz. .357s that should NOT be fed Buffalo Bore 180 grain bullets (unless you're shooting it): smokepole