PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Northwest Rondezvous

Bushcraft
05-18-2007, 12:06 PM
The results have been tabulated ("statistically gerrymandered" for those of you following along /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif ) for the "Available" and "Preferred" dates of this year's Northwest Rondezvous with the last weekend in July being the clear winner by a very large margin.

So, mark you calendars for July 27 - 29th!

This backcountry get-together is a great way to put faces with names, catch up with old friends, make new friends, review some of the best gear available in real-world conditions, pick Patrick's and others' brains, obtain some ideas from others that might make your trips to the backcountry more enjoyable and your hunts more productive, etc.

In short, it's a truly outstanding way to enjoy a summertime weekend in the backcountry. All are welcome and encouraged to join the gathering.

A very informal committee is working on the destination and additional information will be forthcoming. The final destination will be announced via e-mail.

For all those interested in attending this year's rondy...If you haven't already, please send me your name, your Kifaru message board name, e-mail address and telephone number - all of which will of course be kept strictly confidential.

See you all there!

Allen

bushcraft@comcast.net

snakey2
05-18-2007, 01:59 PM
You left out solve the ills of the world and drink whiskey! I may opt for a day or two early. Still working on my wife, I may have to wait to see the destination and convince her it is heaven!

SuperBadger
05-18-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm really dissapointed that I can't go. I was really looking forward to this, but I've got a commitment to a friend to shoot his senior thesis film. It should be fun anyways. Hope everyone has some fun! Maybe we could organize a fall rendezvous?

Kevin B
05-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Bush, I haven't piped in to this point as I'm a game time decision, the usual. I've got a couple other outdoor endeavors that'll happen prior to that time frame leaving it in doubt right now.

Regardless, I'll commit a presence of sorts. Say, whitetail German sausages (new and improved)and some chops pre-marinated and ready to just roll on the grill. I'd prefer to serve them myself, but if i can't some of my fixins will make the trip anyhow.

Bushcraft
05-18-2007, 07:48 PM
New and <u>improved</u> whitetail German sausages you say?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/Other/bull****flag.gif...improving perfection is impossible!!!

Ed C
05-18-2007, 08:49 PM
You'll be there Kevin, don't try to impress us with the important commitment crap.

Bushcraft
05-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Bump to alert those that may have missed it...

Buck W
05-21-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm about 50% in for that weekend. I've re-scheduled one conflict, and have two other possible conflicts hanging. I'll work on them as they come up.

Buck W
05-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Up to 75% now that potential Alaska trip has fallen through.

idaho lad
05-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Bushcraft,

If Idaho Lad is able to go can he go?

What items do you suggest people to take along?

Ed C
05-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Bring your .280

Bushcraft
05-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Well........okay. (edit...but only if you bring your .280) /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Happy to have you, as well as anyone else who would like to put faces with names, catch up with old friends, make new friends, review some of the best gear available in real-world conditions, pick Patrick's and others' brains, obtain some ideas from others that might make your trips to the backcountry more enjoyable and your hunts more productive, etc.

Once a spot is nailed down, we'll let everyone that has signed up in on the secret locale and what to expect.

snakey2
05-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Those of us who went to the first one already know what to expect. Brush, darkness (while in the brush which I missed cause it was so dark I didn't want to go into the brush), mosquitos and whiskey (plus good company and all that other good stuff). And I left out the heat. Did you pick the hottest weekend of the year again? But don't be dissuaded, if my teenage, mall loving daughter can do it and enjoy herself so can all of you. Forgot Dolly Parton! My request for this year still stands, more time with the good company (and whiskey) and less brush.

Bushcraft
05-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Shhhhh...you'll scare off all but the masochists. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

snakey2
05-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Aren't we all?

idaho lad
05-24-2007, 09:09 PM
I could bring a 280 if I can find a vaccination for Kimberittus for her. I heard that once Remingtons get Kimberittus they lose weight become susceptable to vertical stringing disorder. Wouldn't want that.

Really, I am planning to do some minor surgery to it and if it is completed, sure I'll bring it. New rings, base, and perhaps more optical power. Also I am going to mod the stock a bit for more comfort in differing positions.

Patrick
05-24-2007, 09:46 PM
For what it's worth, if Bushcraft and the other web-footed organizers of the Northwest Rendezvous hold true to NW #1 newcomers will be advised to be physically fit. Note the lack of qualifiers in the preceeding. Fit. Bring serious stream crossing paraphernalia. Crocks are gtg. Headlights with plenty of batteries mandatory. Sense of humor and an up-to-date will an excellent idea. "Bushwhack This" is not an unearned motto.

snakey2
06-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Intrepid organizers, any word about where yet??

Bushcraft
06-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Intrepid Connoisseur of Fine Single Malt,

We are getting close. Ed and I (and Randy or anyone else) need to perform a couple more preemptive recon mule-packing adventures into a few interesting spots before we arrive at a final decision. Will keep the crew posted!

Don't let Patrick's dire warnings dissuade you! If a soft, pudgy, out of shape fellow like myself can make it, then anyone can. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

snakey2
06-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Recon to your hearts content it does a body good, I know. My wonderful wife is not nearly as patient or as flexible as I am in matters pertaining to adventure and is getting antsy about her lack of knowledge to date. You would think by now she would be used to the "it'll shine when it shines" attitude (shich she gets fro me all the time) but alas she still wants to know everything months in advance. I will forstall any rebellion on this end until the report of the advance team is complete. I know in the end she will thank me for it.

Bushcraft
06-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Our significant others share a very strong likeness in the "antsy about lack of knowledge" department.

At the moment she's troubled by the semi-quizical-rolly-eyed-blank-stare look I shot her when she asked for concrete specifics about an event that is due to take place over a year from now.

The two of them should get along splendidly at the Rondy! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

snakey2
06-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Yes it sounds like they will have some mutual complaints to air.

idaho lad
06-08-2007, 06:10 PM
You don't have to name the specific location, but generally speaking what is the location like.

Is it some tiny out of the way little place with little room?

Typical NW nasty brush clinging to mountain sides?

What do you need to bring (recommended items)?

Would it be feasable to bring my recurve with me to get some tuitoring? Good setups for archery?

snakey2
06-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Any decision on the site of this gathering yet? My wife is about to believe that we just meet at some rest stop along I5. I assure her that gun fire would be discouraged there but she isn't convinced. When you decide, those of us coming from afar will need directions to trailheads etc.. An obvious landmark will help me find the right maps quickly too. Looking forward to this and am hoping to stretch an extra day or 2.

Bushcraft
06-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Snakey,

More and more of the roads to the more remote trailheads are opening up. Some have washed out and will most likely not be opened for business this year. Many are still strewn with blow-downs and I don't particularly want to play Joe Logger if I don't absolutely have to since that's what I pay taxes for.

Ideally, we're trying to find a best-fit-weighted-average location where we could set up for some pistol/rifle/shotgun/bow shooting (for those that are interested) AND hiking, AND fishing, AND easy enough for KevinB. Our little informal committee has some places in mind that might work out. A last minute sturgeon fishing trip got in the way of things last weekend, but we're going out is weekend to check on a few more possible locations.

In the meantime, show your wife this slideshow (http://trevinski.smugmug.com/photos/sspopup.mg?AlbumID=1723146), get her trained up on setting rock-climbing protection and the proficient nocturnal use of compass and machete. (Just kidding Mrs. Snakey... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif)

Idaho Lad - we'll fill everyone in on the specifics directly/privately via e-mail.

Ed C
06-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Kevin B

Surely you are not going to let that last snide remark by the rude Bushwhack go without a retort of some kind?
We are heading over this weekend to find a suitable place for you. Do you need scooter access? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Kevin B
06-20-2007, 05:03 PM
No I won't need scooter access as I can't come this weekend due to my gender reassignment surgery.... DUH.

Ed C
06-20-2007, 05:35 PM
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Ed C
06-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Outstanding slide show!!!!

idaho lad
06-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Bigfoot coutry!

snakey2
06-21-2007, 09:23 AM
How was the sturgeon trip? That is worth a couple of weekends of lost mountain time. I will keep fending off the questions just let us know when the decision is made. I have been mowing so it isn't as it I don't have something else to do.

Bushcraft
06-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Sturgeon fishing was a hoot. http://forums.kifaru.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=112479&page=1#Post112479 I'd been skunked other times I've gone and was beginning to wonder if I was cursed or something. We landed something like 25 and kept the ones you see. The big guy on the right from Colorado tied into an oversize that stripped off 300ish yards of 85 lb line like it was nothing and then PING! was gone. Most impressive. Late in the day I hooked an oversize that we were able to get close to the boat, but the hook pulled out and the fight was lost.

BTW, I spoke with KevinB last night. Hard to imagine perfection being improved, but from what he told me about his updated sausage recipe, we'll be in for a real treat.

evanhill
06-22-2007, 05:19 PM
So... I don't really need to know where (I assume it will be 4+ hours of driving or more from central oregon), but some time based details would help with my planning --

How many miles in, elevation gain (ballpark on both of these); friday morning through sunday, etc.? I'm just looking for an idea of how much hiking time to add to my drive time and what the "regular" itinerary is so I can plan around it. At this point, I'm guessing that I've got a hot date with some UTM coordinates on friday night...

Randy
06-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Bushcraft, Ed C and I camped at Conrad Meadows Friday night to get a feel for that area. Lots of room, but a very popular spot for the horsmen to head to the Goat Rocks from. One option here is to go in to Surprise Lake (about 6.2 miles). Ed and Bushcraft headed over to Sheep Lake on Nannie Ridge in the Goat Rocks Saturday afternoon to do some recon. I'm sure they'll have a full report early this week.

I'm planning to go in to Surprise week of July 4 to take a quick look there and will report back as well.

At this point I'd plan on a 4-6 mile hike, moderate gains of say 1800-2200 feet. Hope that helps a little...

Bushcraft
06-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Ed took me into some of his old stomping grounds in the Goats above Walupt Lake. Quite a place. Beautiful vistas. Pretty easy access. Still quite a bit of snow at elevation. Typical fickle "wait five minutes" June weather...sunshine, clouds, rain, hail, fog, snow. The light was a bit flat for good pictures. I lashed the apparently troutless water of Sheep Lake to no avail. I'm not sold yet on the location for the Rondy due to lack of fish and firewood. I'll have to take a peek at the country and try the waters on the other side of the ridge in the second picture below.

Great trip into a new area all-in-all...Thanks Ed!

Mount Adams....
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/Rondy%20Scout/DSC01440.jpg

The view along Nannie Ridge toward Ives, Gilbert, etc...
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/Rondy%20Scout/DSC01446.jpg

There's got to be something over there...
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/Rondy%20Scout/DSC01463.jpg

Sure enough!
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/Rondy%20Scout/DSC01461.jpg

Final approach to Sheep Lake...
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/Rondy%20Scout/DSC01465.jpg

Sheep Lake...
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/Rondy%20Scout/DSC01470.jpg

Where are we?
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/Rondy%20Scout/DSC01472.jpg

EdC making dinner...
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/Rondy%20Scout/DSC01478.jpg

Ed C
06-26-2007, 06:19 PM
It was a great trip good company.

Randy and Bushwhack setting up tipi improperly

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/gunnerratlouski/Barnes207.jpg

Ed C demonstrating proper set up

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/gunnerratlouski/Barnes191.jpg

Bushwhack showing his best side /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Note the snow should have brought the 4 man. My bad.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/gunnerratlouski/Barnes198.jpg

I never get tired of looking at this!

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/gunnerratlouski/Barnes194.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/gunnerratlouski/Barnes192.jpg

scothill
06-26-2007, 07:54 PM
So I am a bit confused. Is the rondezvous going to be a pack trip or a car camping trip with a hike? Based on the description it sounds like a pack trip but then you show pictures of car camping. Personally I would love for it to be a car trip or close to the vehicles so more gear can be brought for show and tell ala the Colorado trip. Another thing is that my brother and I won't be able to leave Bend till after work on Friday probably so if it is a backpacking trip that would mean hiking in on saturday morning most likely and then leaving early on Sunday to give time for the hike out and the drive home. If it is car camping that means more hanging out time with folks. If it is a hike in, taking into account I ain't the fastest guy around, we are really just looking at an afternoon of hanging.

Ed C
06-26-2007, 08:19 PM
It will be a backpack rondy. The pics you see of car camping is where we stayed at a trailhead the night before hiking in. Had a mighty fine visit and camped in luxury.

disillusionedpatriot
06-27-2007, 04:11 PM
scotthill,

I hope it's more like 4 miles in with less than 1500' gain, not over 6 miles with 2000' gain. That makes a huge difference. If it's uphill substantially plan on 1/2 hour per mile, that's what hikers typically estimate. Not sure your work hours but if you can leave without delay, and drive without needing to purchase items for the trip, I suspect you could hike into the evening and make a 4 mile trip. If everything is ready to go, no trailhead packing, etc., I think it's do-able from Bend.

Bushcraft
06-27-2007, 05:25 PM
I spoke with Patrick yesterday and we're planing to drive to the trailhead (or some ideal location in the woods near the trailhead) Thursday evening after I pick him up from SeaTac. If at all possible, I recommend others do the same. This would allow for:<ul> Thursday Night - Travel and Visiting Friday Morning - Visiting, Show & Tell and Shooting Friday Afternoon or Evening - Pack into Backcountry Destination Saturday - Visiting, Show & Tell, Fishing, and Adventuring Sunday - Visiting and Departure[/list]

Ed C
06-27-2007, 06:16 PM
I think the ideal thing would be to pack in, in the middle of the night like we usually do. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

scothill
06-27-2007, 07:43 PM
My brother and I spent awhile researching this this morning. Based on the descriptions above I am pretty sure the trail being suggested is the Nannie Ridge Trail in the Goat Rocks Wilderness leaving out of Walput Lake. Based on what I was able to find out today. It is either a 6.5 hour drive if we stay on more major roads, or a 4.5-5 hour drive if we take back roads and work our way up country. So based on that we are hitting the trail head at around 930 or 10 or later, probably, if we can skip out early we will. The descriptions of the Nannie Trail I have been able to find say that the gain is in the first two to three miles to the tune of 2,000 plus feet. (Damn I am in decent shape but that is considered moderate?) Then you have three miles of ridge running. So using a 2mph pace which is accurate for us over that kind of terrain that is a three hour hike or a bit more if we take decent breather about halfway or rolling in at 1-2 in the moring or later. Our packs will be ready and all we will have to do is put them on, but to be realistic I won't know if I want to go in that night or the next morning until I figure out how tired I am then. I am guessing that given that trail description the next morning is more realistic or plan on doing part of it that night and the rest the next morning. So we are back to a Saturday afternoon visit. Due to the nature of my work as we get closer I will know better if I will be able to skip out early.

I also know that my brother was hoping to be able to bring one or both of his daughters but that is out with a hike in like that.

We will also be missing out on the majority of the show and tell, which was one of the main things I was looking forward to after hearing about all of the gear, as I am sure most folks aren't going to be carrying in stuff just so it can be looked at. I do hope that a long hunter and EMR as well as a scout make it in for viewing.

I know this is ED C's party and I really appreciate him doing it and doing all of the legwork to set it up. I know how much work that can be. It also appears that my brother and I are the only ones with timing issues so no point in making everyone fit our needs. Plus my brother may be in Seattle on business so then it would really be more my issue then anything else. We will just have to make things work as best we can. I just got all excited about the Colorado pics and reports that I wasn't really thinking about a backpacking trip as the focus.

Ed C
06-27-2007, 08:06 PM
scothill

This is not Ed C's party! It is everybody's party. Bushwhack is the brains behind this. He has the organizational skills. He also does the leg work. I just enjoy tagging along and giving him a bad time. Please don't take any thing I say too serious. I think Nannie Ridge is out. Beautiful country, but it is an alpine setting, not much firewood. Bush is researching a new area, I'm going to tag along and give him a bad time. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Unless he ditches me.

Looking forward to meeting you and your brother. You'll have a great time trust me /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif Should be a scout there if Amanda and Patrick can pull it off. Plenty of longhunters and tipis.
As far as a backpacking rondy that's what we do. Like Patrick said "Bushwhack This" isn't just a logo.

Randy
06-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Scothill,

Whenever you get there you'll have fun. Last year's group ran into a bunch of night-ops bushwacking to get Miss Dolly to camp. We all met up, shared breakfast and introductions and headed out for fishing, shooting, hiking or whatever. World problem solving, hunting adventures and various discussions lasted way into the night and next morning. I think you'll have plenty of time to meet the crew and enjoy the weekend. You'll see a variety of gear, Kifaru and other that the northwest folks are using. Lots of good tips, sharing and of course you can pick Patrick's brain on various gear and techniques.

I've had the chance to camp with some of these guys several times this year and no matter how long you spend, how casual or intense it gets, you'll be hard pressed to find a better bunch of folks to spend time around the fire with. Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

Bushcraft
06-27-2007, 11:01 PM
I think I need to chime in here and reiterate that, every effort is being made to determine an optimal location that will comfortably accomodate the majority of those wanting to attend.

Chairpersons Randy and Ed C have said it best...everyone is bound to have a great time regardless of when when they get there, and this is <u>everyone's</u> party!

scothill
06-28-2007, 08:17 AM
I guess I need to read with more attention. I was under the impression that Ed C was heading this effort up. My apologies to Bushcraft and Randy.

If you guys are open to suggestions I will mention my favorite hike in the area. It is the umtanum (sp) trail off the Yakima river between Yakima and Ellensburg. It is basically a desert canyon with a stream in the bottom. As a result the canyon bottom is beautiful with grassy meadows, aspen groves, and plenty of flowers. On the side hills you have the more tradiontial sage brush hills. It is located in a wildlife area so no hunting or fishing in the canyon itself although there is plenty of fishing on the Yakima River. On every trip I have made there so far I have seen deer and a large variety of birds. I think that it is an audobon recommended area for bird watching. I also can't remeber a trip where I didn't see desert big horn as well. However, they aren't as plentiful and you usually need some kind of optics to get a good look. The canyon is an easy hike even in the dark for the lower sections which is both good and bad. You can really mellow out and enjoy what you are seeing, but the ease of hiking, access, and abundance of wildlife does make it a favorite for day hikers and backpacker groups. Although I have find if you further up canyon the mileage and trail conditions tends to discourage most people. Supposedly the trail only goes 2 miles up canyon but if you aren't afraid of some scrambling or picking your own trail you can go further then that although you eventually will walk right out of the canyon and as I understand it there is a falls back there as well. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=46.87578&lon=-120.56856&s=200&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

timbertiger
06-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Bushcraft

I have gotten that friday off. We should be able to get to that area by 7 or 8 am Friday. Since we are bringing all of our packgoats 2 or 3 of them will not be loaded. So if anyone wants to bring extra gear for the show and tell depending on the items we can strap it on the goats and let them pack it in.

timbertiger

evanhill
06-28-2007, 09:15 AM
I appreciate the effort y'all are going to. My ability to take that friday off is also dependent on how my workload is looking when the date gets closer. Hopefully, Scot and I both can take that friday off and the logistics get a lot easier.

I was looking forward to getting into the goat rocks wilderness, as I've always meant to but haven't to date. Maybe there is another itinerary in that area. I'm not opposed to backpacking at all -- prefer it actually (unless you pick a mountain bikable location, in which case the ice is on us /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif). It was just the combination of long drive plus long hike that was looking difficult.

I'd like to reiterate greatest common good. I think we're the only two coming from this direction and distance, and maybe the only two who can't commit yet to taking friday off. Plan a trip that the majority will be happy with, and we'll make do.

Bushcraft
06-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Timbertiger,

The extra load hauling capacity will be mucho appreciated by the primary beast of burden (Ms. Dolly)! I for one am really looking forward to seeing your goats in action.

I imagine you'll be fine if you arrive at 9:00 or so (read, we'll likely still be making breakfast at 8:00AM...then again, that might be your angle! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif ...which is perfectly okay with me...just let me know so that I can throw more breakfast stuff in the cooler for everyone.)

snakey2
06-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Bush that sounds like an ideal schedule. I hope I will be able to adhere to it. Looking forward to seeing everyone. I, too, am eager to see the goats in action. Might have to add a touch extra drink to my list if the goats would be willing to pack it and not drink too much.

timbertiger
06-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Snakey,

I am pretty sure one of our goats, Nat, would headbutt ya for that extra drink. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif He has the proverbial goat cast iron stomach.

timbertiger

snakey2
06-28-2007, 02:37 PM
TT if I bring good whiskey you won't need a cast iron stomach at all!! If he carries he can have one.

Kevin B
06-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Since it's a negotiation snakey... "one" what? One shot, one cup, one fifth? I'm 100% sure I can find room in my pack at the right ratio of weight to comsumption. Alas, the goat may undercut me... I'm getting outsourced by a freaking goat.

Ed C
06-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Sounds like you're committed Kevin that's great. How bout
Cowboy Buck, Dale, and dp and everyone else?

Bushcraft
06-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Preliminary estimates indicate that we'll have at least 25 to 35 attendees! Good times! KevinB better get the sausage factory into high gear!

Buck W
06-29-2007, 05:05 AM
Hey Ed C, looks like I'm good to go. On the other hand if I get my rotator cuff healed up (..his wounds have almost healed...)**, and if I get tuned up I might be "..chasing this dream they call rodeo"**. I'm still working on one of my sons to attend also. I'm looking forward to seeing you, the folks from last year and new ones, too! Thanks to you, Allen and Randy for all of the recon and brain work.

** With apologies to, and excerpts from, Garth Brooks,"Rodeo".

Randy
06-29-2007, 08:29 AM
Bushcraft,

With attendance numbers as high as your estimates are you considering any 'non-wilderness' settings, ie: '12 beating hearts' restrictions? Or just a bunch of folks who ended up at the same general area for a weekend get-away?

I'm going to head to Richmond Lake, hopefully Monday, and check the snow level, fish supply and trail conditions. I'll also make a trip over to the hanging lake we have talked about and see how that looks as a fishing destination. Hopefully I can find some of the resident goats and get some good photos.

Have a good weekend. Randy

snakey2
06-29-2007, 09:06 AM
Kevin B you can have all you want as long as it lasts and the goat asks nice (and no head butting)! 25 to 35 sounds like a whoop-dee-doo. With that many the goats will definately have to carry extra refreshments.

evanhill
06-29-2007, 09:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With attendance numbers as high as your estimates are you considering any 'non-wilderness' settings, ie: '12 beating hearts' restrictions? Or just a bunch of folks who ended up at the same general area for a weekend get-away?</div></div>

I was wondering the same thing. More to the point, you've got to pick carefully regardless of the regs with a group of that size. Maybe the high rolling Ponderosa country north of Ellensburg? There are roads all across it, but there oughta be a pocket in there somewhere that doesn't have a road running right through it.

Bushcraft
06-29-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm not concerned about the 12 heartbeat thing since it is not as though there is going to be a cohesive freight train of humanity hiking up the trail. Also, attendees' camps/tents/tipis will be scattered about somewhat.

So, I'm going for the "just a bunch of folks who ended up at the same general area for a weekend get-away" angle. We were over last year, and the only evidence to note our visit was a cleaner site than it was before our visit.

Bushcraft
06-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Randy,

I was thinking of heading up there to sling some line this weekend.

Allen

evanhill
06-29-2007, 10:30 AM
How about Frying Pan lake above Bumping Lake? About 1200ft of elevation gain in 2 miles, and then another 2.5 miles at a slight descent into what looks like a pretty wide open basin for spreading out, or Blankenship meadows out of the same trailhead. Blankenship lake is then a half a mile away from the meadows. The meadow looks to be on a little bit of a bench which might be (relatively) bug free. I haven't been up in that country, but it looks good on topo (which is the best I can do from here).

Bushcraft
06-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Access road from the north (Bumping Lake) is washed out and will likely not be fixed this summer according to FS. Cayuse Pass (connects White Pass and Chinook Pass) was also wiped out, thereby throwing a monkey-wrench in ease of access to the highway 410 areas for people visiting from the SW WA and NW OR. We are investigating the Goats at the moment given the ease of access from Highway 12.

Anyway, Frying Pan is not a bad idea on paper. Twas considered. Popular spot that gets a lot of usage. But, the bugs on the entire boggy plateau would carry the small goats, the children and the sweet-blooded women like my fiancee away. Not an enjoyable place to be unless its a dry year or until the first couple freezes occur in early September.

evanhill
06-29-2007, 12:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cayuse Pass (connects White Pass and Chinook Pass) was also wiped out </div></div>

A light bulb just went on for me. I hadn't heard about Cayuse. I couldn't figure out why you were ignoring that whole 410 area, including the possibility of going N or S from Cayuse itself. When I lived in North Bend, the Cayuse Pass area was a frequent destination -- not eastern Oregon uncrowded, but way better than anything off of 90. Now the Goat Peaks make perfect sense. Like I said earlier, I've always wanted to get in there, so I'm looking forward to it.

Randy
06-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Allen,

I totally spaced the Cayuse Pass issue...maybe I'll head in to Surprise or Cirque instead and see how that works out. One last family reunion this weekend or I'd head up there with you. I have a few extra days next week, so I'll see what I can find out mid-week.

Randy

snakey2
06-29-2007, 02:46 PM
The less bugs the better as my wife is a magnet. It has its uses (keeps them off me) but not if I want her to want to go again.

Randy
07-03-2007, 07:45 PM
OK, back from Surprise Lake. I'd guess mileage at somewhere between 5 and 6 miles, with 14 long switchbacks thrown in for good measure right at the end. On the plus side the trail is clear for Miss Dolly all the way in, no wet feet all the way:) Surprise is a nice clear lake full of cutthroat, but bring spinning gear, as the swirling winds gave me fits with my beginning fly-casting skills. I made it in to camp in about 3 1/2 hours with a stop for lunch and to fish a likely looking hole on the creek. On the down side; no feed at all for Miss Dolly. Camping is extremely limited and with the numbers we have we'd be hard pressed to find enough level ground for everyone. The lake is steep-sided and brushy all the way around. However, an option may be to go in about 2 1/2 miles (+or-) and cross one of the big meadows to the timber with the S Fork of the Tieton on the other side. Lots of flat space, lots of wood for fuel and the creek is great for brookies. I fished my way down thru one section and literally pulled fish from every deep hole I floated a fly thru today. The small stream fisherman among us would have a ball. The only big downside is the skeeters at the lower elevations, absolutely fierce. I'll post some pics and GPS cords. later to see what you guys think.

Ed C
07-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the recon Randy

Buck W
07-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Another thanks for the recon, Randy,

Randy
07-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Hey guys, here's a GPS coordinate off TopoZone in an area of meadows and streams and the S. Fork Tieton that I mentioned. Take a look and see what you think. On this part of the trail you're in and out of private land, National Forest and Wilderness Area. Not far from the Surprise Lake Loop junction for those that want a good hike and go to the lake and views of the Goat Rocks.

NAD27
UTM Zone 10
627996E
5148706N

Randy
07-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Here's a few pics of the trip into Surprise Lake, thru Conrad Meadows.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0704Image0081.jpg
Looking Southwest across the meadows

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0704Image0084.jpg
South Fork of the Tieton

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0704Image0098.jpg
A good place to ambush some brookies!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0704Image0089.jpg
Goat Rocks

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0704Image0086.jpg
Beautiful Meadows and streams

snakey2
07-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Very pretty spot. It appears that the recon work (along with the weather and fishing) was really tough on you! Thanks for all your efforts on behalf of the Rondezvous.

Randy
07-05-2007, 12:31 PM
snakey,

When you have to make sacrifices it can be trying:) The area is really cool and since I was up there mid-week only saw one other person on the trail. I took my folks up the Middle Fork of the Ahtanum yesterday to chase some trout in the creeks up there and we caught a few and missed a bunch. But we had a blast. I may make a quick day trip up the Ten-Day Creek Trail before next week to check out the camping, meadows and fishing possibilities up that way. See ya soon!

snakey2
07-05-2007, 01:51 PM
I know with all of this recon you all will pick a good spot. Looking forward to seeing you at end of the month.

Ed C
07-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Yep plenty tuff duty! Sampling the fishing while we are at work. Thanks again for the extreme sacrifice on your part. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

scothill
07-06-2007, 05:36 AM
that place looks mighty purty.

Yolla Bolly
07-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Bushcraft----that slideshow just made my evening! I am stuck in GA away from mountains for a few more days, so it really helped.
Thanks.

Randy
07-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Another quick scouting trip with the dogs today. Found some nice meadows on the other side of the river, so folks may have to take off their shoes to cross, real Bushwhacking:) I don't know the mileage stats yet, but we'll compare notes when Bushcraft comes back from his fishing expedition for giant cutthroats and scouting in the same general area. Here's a few more pics for you to peruse:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0707Image0003.jpg
Good Place to Cross

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0707Image0005.jpg
Nice camping area

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0707Image0008.jpg
More beautiful meadows

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0707Image0006.jpg
More secluded camping possibilities

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0707Image0009.jpg
One for the frying pan!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0707Image0012.jpg
Fishing Beagles?!

Bushcraft
07-09-2007, 12:52 PM
I did my part to investigate further the fishing opportunities for the coming NW Rondy.

Destination: Warm Lake in the Goat Rocks Wilderness.

Friday night hike-in. Camped on sandy beach along the Tieton on the western most side of Conrad Meadows. Had a near-miss wild-cow episode just as I was bedding down to keep things interesting. Continued up to Surprise Lake for mid-morning snack/nap and then bushwacked up to Warm Lake via the basin's northern entrance/discharge. Quite the glacial moonscape...goats a-plenty! Unfortunately, zero fish activity in Warm Lake - a dubious name since a third of it was covered in thick ice. Beautiful back-drop though!

One or two more secret spots to investigate this coming weekend...

http://forums.kifaru.net/ubbthreads.php?...8a3a#Post114248 (http://forums.kifaru.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=114248&page=0&PHPSESSID=847c78e50ead6037887fd1af55de8a3a#Post114 248)

Kevin B
07-16-2007, 02:22 PM
We got a push pin in the map now? A close number on attendance? I'm cranking up the grinder this weekend.

Randy-Bush, will a creek be real close to the camp.... ie could be used to keep cool things cool?

Randy
07-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Kevin,

Bush and I made another recon to a possible spot high in the William O last weekend. One lake had no fish, the other had nice fish and we wore ourselves out with Bushcraft finally getting one on the ground. The trail was shorter than last year, but much steeper; say 3000'+ gain in a little over 3 miles. We had the backcountry to ourselves and enjoyed the weekend doing a little scouting, seeing a couple goats, trying to outsmart some trout and enjoying each other's company.

I thing we pretty much agreed that with the number of ladies indicating they would like to check out this Bushwhack/Kifaru Rondy thing, we'd best stay to a bit shorter trail and not as much vertical gain. If we choose the spot we discussed, yes, there will be a creek nearby and it is clear and cold. Should be a nice place for folks to cool off as well as chase some brookies in the shadows. I'm sure Bushcraft will post some pics and his thoughts soon and we'll be sending out the driving directions and coordinates ASAP. I think Allen said we could have 25+ if everyone makes it. I'll throw in some sausage as well and see if I can compete with the master:) We'll see ya all soon.

I'll have a few pics up later tonite of the weekend's effort.

Kevin B
07-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Well randy, the sausages last year were my second ever effort an the ones coming up will be about the 6th, I hope I'm a quick study but master is someplace far far removed as of yet. Great shots from the trips guys. Can't wait for my email!

Randy
07-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Here's a few more photos from Bushcraft's "Golden Trout Weekend" thread over on Backcountry Fishing. It has been tough spring and early summer putting the miles, testing the fishing and enjoying awesome Cascade backcountry in trying to find a place for the Rondy, but somebody has to do it:) Anyway, enjoy the pics...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0715Image0001.jpg
Mountain Sunrise over Richmond Lake

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0715Image0009.jpg
Bushcraft hunting up some cutthroat

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0715Image0011.jpg
Top secret meadows...could be elk in here

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0715Image0021.jpg
Wouldn't this be cool in your backyard?!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0715Image0024.jpg
Supposed home of lunker cutthroat

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0715Image0032.jpg
This guy watched us all afternoon

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0715Image0039.jpg
Is this the only way out of here?

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/rsbauman/2007_0715Image0042.jpg
Richmond Lake on the way out.

The Vigilante
07-17-2007, 03:43 PM
god i love the photos

snakey2
07-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Beautiful pics but where are we going??? Go drink some beer and decide!!

timbertiger
07-20-2007, 01:19 PM
The goats need a destination.

Packs are loaded and ready to go. We will have three with nothing to carry so someone can bring some extra provisions if they like.

timbertiger