PDA

View Full Version : Bushwack This! '07

Bushcraft
04-25-2007, 05:37 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/NW%20Rondy/IMG_1764.jpg

The time has come to determine the optimal date(s) and location for the Second Annual Northwest Kifaru Rondy.

For those interested in attending this year's backcountry get-together, please send me an e-mail indicating your interest and I will add you to the online survey questionnaire that will go out on May 11th.

Thanks!

Allen

bushcraft@comcast.net

Ed C
04-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Bush
Let's pick the date as soon as possible. That way we can lock Patrick and other people up. We can pick the location later.

July 27-30? OK all set let's go /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

evanhill
04-25-2007, 09:24 PM
How about sept or oct, or is that unfashionable? Here are two addresses for the survey: evan at evanhill.org; scothill at msn.com

Buck W
04-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Please send me a survey.

Patrick
04-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Those dates are good for me, Ed.

Re this "online survey questionaire": Do you reckon it'll be data-rich? Also, PLEASE let's not allow BOTH Bushwhack AND DP to collaborate on the thing. I can't handle 'em both. Easier to design a complete sleeping bag system than follow their statistical gerrymandering. Ed, you're in charge of making sure they don't get together on this!

Randy
04-26-2007, 08:47 AM
July 27-30 good for me at the present. I've got a couple of ideas in the Goat Rocks, I'll forward data in a few days. Put me on the survey list!

snakey2
04-26-2007, 03:25 PM
July times work for me. Maybe something that takes less time to get to or staying for longer would be good. I would do a 3 or 4 day trip if any others would be there. Maybe something that the ladies could deal with might be nice. I think my wife would come if other women were in attendance. Looking forward to whatever is worked out.

JBR
04-26-2007, 07:31 PM
July 27-30 looks like it would work. Gives me plenty of time for my LHG to arrive. I'd love to try out the shelters and stoves since I don't have either, so hopefully Patrick or others will bring shelters that have extra room for some newbies like me to try out. Add me to the survey please...jbrodge@verizon.net

Bushcraft
05-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Bump.

Send me your e-mail now if you want to be in on the decision making process.

So far I've got myself, Patrick, Snakey, BuckW, Randy, Evanhill, and JBR that wish to throw their input into the hat.

Randy
05-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Allen,

Add Mike's email to your list.
mbauman@elltel.net.

He's OK on the dates now too and looking forward to the trip.

Thanks, Randy

Bushcraft
05-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Randy,

Got it!

Ed...er, I mean " Big Fish Catchin' Sunovagun (http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/gunnerratlouski/IMG_3031.jpg) "...I meant to mention your name earlier! Miss Dolly gets a vote too!

Allen

snakey2
05-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Everyone hear that? Dolly Parton is coming!!

Ed C
05-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Where's the online survey questionnaire? I can't wait no more! It's a nice day I want to go hikin right now. What's the snow level?

Bushcraft
05-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Patience...I'm compiling more data.

Ken
05-08-2007, 03:59 PM
...that usually means a graph or chart is forthcoming...

Bushcraft
05-08-2007, 04:38 PM
joke

Ed C
05-08-2007, 05:05 PM
What's the snow level? I'm ready to go this weekend. Have Rod Will Travel!

Bushcraft
05-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Southerly facing slopes are remarkably bare in some places. Most of the backcountry trails ought to open up in a hurry. I'm headed over to the White Pass area this weekend with the lady...will see.

evanhill
05-08-2007, 07:58 PM
down here in the oregon cascades, there is still plenty of snow in the deeper drainages (~5000ft). on southern exposures, you can go considerably higher than that without snow. the sisters, broken top, and bachelor still look like mid-winter, particularly after that little squall dumped 6 inches last week.

It will definately be rising quickly with the 75 degree temps we've been having though. I keep trying to decide if I want to get out for one more skiing trip before I give it up for the season. I'm running out of time, and this weekend I'm going to Wyoming.

Bushcraft
05-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Having some snow on the ground is good thing...helps keep the adult beverages refreshingly cool.

Randy
05-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Goose Prairie is snow-free...I'll be heading up to Bumping Lake Saturday for a run with the hounds. May head up Thunder Crk a ways, I'll report back by Sunday!

Randy
05-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Only a little snow on the side of the road up to Bumping Lake. Still a lot of snow on the north sides of Baldy and Scab. The backcountry looking south still has a lot of snow but it's coming off fast with the warm weather we've had this week. The Bumping is no higher now than mid-summer, and running fairly clear. Looks like we should be able to get just about anywhere by the end of July.

Ed C
05-13-2007, 10:24 AM
May 11 has come and gone. Where is the online survey? Promises promises /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif Big business is all alike to heck with the little guy /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

Ed C
05-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Randy how high did you get? Do you think Leech lake is ice free? Top of White pass.

Randy
05-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Ed,

Went no higher than Bumping. Haven't been over White since the Military Rondy, Dog Lake was still 100% iced up. We've had weather up to the 90's in the valley so things should be opening up pretty well. I'm heading toward Darland Mtn next week just to see how far up the road is clear and do a little glassing. Lots of elk back around Goose Prairie already.

Good call on that survey...maybe it'll have a chart:) I still don't know which pad to buy:)

Bushcraft
05-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Survey sent...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/NW%20Rondy%202007/NWRONDYv3.png

Ed C
05-14-2007, 04:12 AM
NICE /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Bushcraft
05-14-2007, 09:50 AM
The last weekend in July is way out in the lead as the preferred date by a large margin with over half of the survey recipients having checked in...

We'll drive a stake in the ground at the end of the week, but it's a pretty fair bet to say that it will take place the last weekend in July.

The full moon ought to make the nocturnal bushwacking easier for any interested party(s). /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Westy
05-14-2007, 12:10 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/NW%20Rondy%202007/NWRONDYv3.png [/quote]

That is awesome.

Bushcraft
05-14-2007, 02:10 PM
JBR - Should be plenty of Kifaru roofage...especially if Patrick brings along the big house.

SuperBadger
05-15-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm in! End of July looks like it should be good for me, if you guys don't mind a 20 year old tagging along.

snakey2
05-15-2007, 12:20 PM
My wife is leaning toward going probably as long as I don't mention the bushwacking aspect! Hope some other ladies decide to come so she has some company of the same ***.

snakey2
05-15-2007, 12:21 PM
I forgot about Dolly Parton. That should even the *** ratio out a bit.

Bushcraft
05-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Snakey,

Bring her along! My fiancee is hoping to attend and see what all the fuss is about as well as put faces to a few people she hasn't yet met. I think Randy's wife might join us as well. Could be that a few other significant others will decide to show!

We'll shorten up the distance and definitely try to keep the bushwacking to a minimum this year. However, Patrick did mention, in a moment of Stella Artois induced nostalgia after dinner at the Ft. Lewis event, his desire for an optional nocturnal route through a stretch of particularly thick/steep slide alder, devil's club and blow-down that one can take a shortcut through without necessarily having to touch the ground - a nice bog or two could be thrown in for good measure for him and others those so inclined. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Bushcraft
05-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks Westy - it'd be great if you could make it with your father!

snakey2
05-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Bushcraft that should be a snap with a full moon. Probably should make it challenging and leave the headlamps off! I guess if I wanted my wife to never come to another.....

Ed C
05-15-2007, 06:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PDX_DVX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in! End of July looks like it should be good for me, if you guys don't mind a 20 year old tagging along. </div></div>

I would personally consider it a great honor. The more young people we can get interested in hunting, fishing, and backpacking the better. You are our future pass it on all that. Please do come and bring some friends.

Randy
05-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Here's a couple of options in the Goat Rocks;

Tieton Meadows Trail 1128, could come in from 2 different trailheads.

Bear Creek Mountain from Section 3 Lake, Trails 1130/1130A

Surprise Lake Loop Trail 1120.

Also researching one of those super-secret, only known to keen backcountry flyfisherman sorts, lakes that's supposedly quite scenic and provides superior fishing. I'm closing in on it and will let you know what I find out. Seems the trailheads off White Pass may be a little easier on the folks coming up from Portland.

Snakey; at this point my wife is planning to attend as well. We may even talk one of the ladies from her hiking group to tag along for a little backcountry adventure.

Ed C; what about dropping into Conrad Meadows? Seems it wouldn't be a bad hike for all concerned. You probably know that country better than the rest of us.

Randy

JBR
05-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Bushcraft - sounds good regarding the shelters. After ordering LHG 2 wks ago, I can't quite swing the paratipi and small stove I'm looking at right now. Dang - how are ya supposed to "pace yourself" with all this great stuff - this is insane - I want it all now!

JBR
05-15-2007, 08:13 PM
We might need to 'pre-Rondy' for beers sometime soon so we can, ya know...plan stuff. ???

SuperBadger
05-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Looking at the calendar, I might have a potential conflict. I'll be shooting a friends senior thesis film for school. Unless his dates change, I'll be on the set of a western town filming horses and old west shootouts. The weekend before, and the weekend after are open for me, July 20-22 and August 3-5. I hope that I can somehow attend, as I would like to meet everyone! And learn how to fish.

Westy
05-18-2007, 11:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bushcraft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Westy - it'd be great if you could make it with your father!</div></div>

Wish I could! I'm heading up to the CO Rondy this weekend - should be a great time. Your image might work if you throw a lightning bolt or two in there - I think we might get a T-Storm or two rollin' through this weekend.

Huntsman22
05-21-2007, 05:19 AM
Buck W, I got to meet that boy of yours at the CO. rondy. You did a great job of raising a fine young man. Sure is a strapping lad. Wish you could have made it down with him. Hope he likes it here, we need more like him.......Don

Smokepole
05-21-2007, 05:31 AM
Yup.

Buck W
05-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Don and Smokepole, thank you for your kind words. I have been truly blessed.

He had a super time at the Rondy mainly because you guys (and others) were so great in making him feel welcome...thanks, again. I would really like to meet you guys..maybe next year's CO Rondy? Mark chose Colorado as the place he wanted to live, and is enjoying it very much.

Warm Regards

Buck

Westy
05-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the kind words Huntsman and Smokepole - it was truly a pleasure being around such a quality group of people...I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you better as the years go by.

Smokepole
05-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Well, we need to plan a hunt soon. Westy, are you getting an archery tag?

Come on out next year Buck, that'd be great.