PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Rendezvous...I WISH SOMEONE WOULD BRING..

Sawtooth
04-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Per Timberline's suggestion, here goes.

I WILL BRING:

Marlin 1895G, non-ported, stainless, 45-70
Marlin 1895CB, 45-70
Marlin Golden Boy, .22 Mag
Ruger Vaquero (old model), blued, color case hardened, 45LC
Colt SAA, blued, 45LC
Ruger Single Six, Stainless, .22 LR
Colt New Frontier, Blued, .22 LR

OK that's all the cowboy guns...

And I'll also have my rambling rifle, Weatherby SBGM 30-06, and my "Brick" (a S&W model 4046)

Archery, I'll bring both my Bob Lee recurves and my bag target.

If anyone wants to sneak out for a little fly fishing, I'm game, and will bring my tackle.

Finally, I WISH SOMEONE WOULD BRING...

...a Smith and Wesson Model 60
...a Smith and Wesson Model 386 (Smokepole, are you reading this?)
...a TC Contender Carbine (ozarkrambler?)
...some tomahawks for throwing
...high end spotting scopes, so I can compare mine to them
...some aspirin, because every time I hang out with Smokepole I drink too much scotch.

Smokepole
04-12-2007, 04:05 AM
I would just add, don't forget the .22's and bricks because the off-hand shooting matches with singleshot's little silhouettes are more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Last year we did teams of two, 20-30 silhouettes each at 25 and 50 yards, first team to knock 'em all down wins. Those chickens are s-m-a-l-l.

I'll bring the #386 and other stuff.

CCH
04-12-2007, 06:34 AM
If I can attend, my model 60 will come with me as will a couple of .22s. The Guide Gun will be blued and ported so that won't fulfill your "need" Sawtooth. I have to take aspirin every day so I can help you there.

Sawtooth
04-12-2007, 07:18 AM
CCH,

I have a Guide Gun. Timberline is the one drooling. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I hope you can make it!

CCH
04-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Oops! I mis-read! At least I'll have the aspirin.

anthracitic
04-12-2007, 07:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokepole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would just add, don't forget the .22's and bricks because the off-hand shooting matches with singleshot's little silhouettes are more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Last year we did teams of two, 20-30 silhouettes each at 25 and 50 yards, first team to knock 'em all down wins. Those chickens are s-m-a-l-l.

I'll bring the #386 and other stuff.

</div></div>

Must one use a firearm to compete in this here shooting match?

Timberline
04-12-2007, 08:00 AM
WISH SOMEONE WOULD BRING:
Rifle - Kifaru Rambling Rifle!
Rifle - Marlin Guide Gun (non-ported) .45-70
Rifle - Winchester 88
Rifle - Remington M600 .243 to.308
Rifle - Remington M700 Mountain Rifle .280 Rem
Rifle - Ruger Hawkeye African .375 Ruger
Rifle - Dakota 76 or 97 .375 H&H
Rifle - Ruger No. 1 Tropical .375-.458
Rifle - Cool old Mauser rifle 7x57 or ?
Rifle - Any Double Rifle!
Handgun - Ruger Blackhawk .357 to .45
Handgun - Colt Woodman .22 LR
Handgun - Walther P22 .22 LR
Handgun - Ruger/Browning .22 with Tactical Solution Pac Lite Conversion
Handgun - S&W 317 and 351PD revolvers
Misc. – Kifaru Regulator Sleeping Bag System!

CAN BRING
For Sawtooth – Swarovski 65HD 20-60 Straight Spotting Scope

Patrick
04-12-2007, 10:37 AM
anthracitic, there will be much archery shooting going on. If you want to stand alongside the gunners and whack steel targets with arrows have at it. Having seen you fling arrows I imagine you will hit 'em. THAT will be worth a whole truckful of monkeys to see. What, you have "rock" arrows for such purposes?

anthracitic
04-12-2007, 10:55 AM
I'll have to see if I can come up with a rubber tip that will fit. Could make for a bit of amusement to shoot at them!

Sawtooth
04-12-2007, 10:59 AM
anthracitic,

Truth be told, I spent more time shooting my bow last year than my firearms. And the kids put me to shame on arrows flung. Just ask ozarkrambler...his kids and mine were in cahoots.

Let me add just one more I WISH SOMEONE WOULD BRING item...

Some 3D archery targets. (Timberline?)

Timberline
04-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Sawtooth - I separated by left shoulder in February and am still in a light sling for half of every day because of it. No arrow shooting for me for a while, which has me in a foul archery mood. For me not to be able to shoot arrows is torture.

At this point, I don’t know if I’ll be able to shoot a bow by Rendezvous. I can, however, throw in some 3D targets for the adults to miss and the kids to hit. Consider it done.

CCH
04-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Hmmm... I can't come up with a list to compare to Timberline but if anyone feels like bringing one, I'd love to see a best grade H&H in .470 (with removeable sidelocks please). That and an atlatl.

Sawtooth
04-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Timberline,

Sorry to hear about your injury. Archery is such a physical endeavor. It doesn't take much to knock a person off the pedestal. I've been lucky so far.

Thanks for agreeing to tote along your 3D stuff. I need to get one myself one of these days. Stump shooting is cheaper, but I like to poke the animals every now and then.

Kevin
04-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Timberline, I'll be happy to sub for you on half your hunts this year, and Sawtooth or Smokepole will take the other half.

After all, what are friends for? Got any good ones....caribou or something? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

CCH
04-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Kevin, I think we can go fourths all the way around.

Sawtooth
04-12-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm in.

Timberline
04-12-2007, 03:20 PM
The generosity of hunting friends is a truly remarkable thing (so is a pack of jackals that smells blood on a compatriot), BUT I RECUPERATE QUICKLY! Mule deer, elk, antelope, whitetails and whatever else I can draw (sheep, sheep, sheep!) are on the agenda for this fall. I’ll stumble through it somehow, wounded or not.

CCH – Checked my gun safe and closet for you. No Holland & Holland Royal Double with sidelocks, and no spear-chucker. How about a Winchester M70 African in .458 and a rock?

Smokepole
04-12-2007, 04:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anthracitic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Must one use a firearm to compete in this here shooting match? </div></div>

Like Patrick said, any weapon is legal although singleshot does tend to frown on people putting holes in his silhouettes with big magnums. Something about being "gauche" and "in extremely poor taste."

It would be fun to see an archer or two on the line, but to hear Patrick tell it, it might also be embarrassing to some of us rifle shooters.

And Kevin, if you guys are dividing up Timberline's hunts, count me in too.

CCH
04-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Smoke, Kevin included you from the get go. I was the one who had to invite himself to the party.

Timberline, Jackals? I'd think we'd at least rate hyena status. Please leave the Winchester .458 at home unless it is a push feed. I seldom wear a helmet while shooting and would hate to end up getting whacked like your lab when the extractor fails. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif The rock sounds good though I'm not renowned for my throwing arm. Actually I'm not renowned for much of anything.

Huntsman22
04-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Timberline, Sounds like ya shoulda hired the neighbor kids to shovel your snow this year,instead of being manly about it. And thusly kept the shoulder pristine and healthy...... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

How'd you really muck it out???

Guys, I will bring my wrist rocket for you to try. Suitable ammo is scarce up there......
atlatl???? Like comparing a compound to a stickbow. Spear chuckers, always looking for an edge......CCH, I wouldn't fit it anyhoo.

singleshot
04-12-2007, 06:45 PM
This year Patrick has a set of targets also. Between the two of us we should have about a hundred of the .22 critters. We are going to need a whole bunch for pallets to set them on.
His bigbore targets are AR400 steel. Not sure what the magnum rifles will do to them up close. We may have to put them WAY out there.

I like accurate .22 handguns. I will bring Anschutz exemplar,
TC Contender with Bullberry barrel and Jim Ishmael trigger,
TC Contender with Bond and Bowmar iron sights.
My Model 7 .308 has a vari x III 1.5-5 scope with elevation only target turret and oversize dot reticle. Have sight settings for all the silhouette distances out to 500 meters.

Timberline
04-13-2007, 10:40 AM
WISH SOMEONE WOULD BRING
You know what we really need for the shooting line is some SHADE.

Remember two years ago when we all got fried by the sun? Between the 10,000 elevation, the inevitable breeze and lots of Colorado sunshide, a day on the shooting line can drain a guy. I'd enjoy sitting there in the SHADE, talking hunting, handling guns and watching others shoot.

Anyone have one of those wall-less shade tents?

Huntsman's cowboy hat does not qualify.

ozarkrambler
04-13-2007, 11:20 AM
I will for sure be bringing my Ruger/Paclight/Dr.Optic .22, my 5" bbl mod 60 with CT laser grips, a T/C Contender carbine with 30-30 bbl, and a .223 bbl with my homemade .22 lr adapters. Might throw in a couple other rifles, just haven't narrowed it down yet. I guess I'll wait and see if I have something that someone requests.

Ozark

eric B
04-13-2007, 04:57 PM
I feel a little left out. I was looking at the message boards and came across this chain and saw all the talk of guns and targets. I just had an 8 man tipi delivered and need a place to set it up so I was looking for tips. Just a couple comments...
-I live in Woodland Park, frequent both DEN and COS. They are both gun friendly providing they are packed and claimed properly. If you fly into the Springs, take 24 West through the Park to the Rendezvous location you plan to tell me the location of later in this email chain. Recommend a stop at Sportsman's Warehouse on the way. Stop for food at HUNGRY BEAR or DONUT MILL in Woodland Park on the way.
-Just before Wilkerson Pass, take the dirt road to the right onto the USFS land for bodily functions.
-Enjoy the view of The Park as you go over Wilkerson and note the goats on the South side with the Buffers near Spinney adn Eleven Mile Resoivoir. Leave my fish alone.
-In South Park there is a new bowling alley with grill. SUBWAY special is the best quick meal in town if you get the 2.50 daily special.
-Travelling about a mile North of town on 285 you will see Mount Silverheels on the left, I have a shack up against the USFS there, but have to step across a fence to shoot guns and I don't like to shoot so close to the house unless the target will bleed because of the noise (fly neighborly policy).
-There are a couple USFS trail accesses there where younze might be going.
-If I brought my tipi guns and ammo, would you help me get it done the first time?
-Have fun at your Rendezvous and pick up your brass in either case. Eric

Huntsman22
04-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Eric, You don't have to go over Wilkerson to get there. Bring your tipi, someone will be able to help. Bring your guns, too. But just remember, it's the new guys job to pick up all the brass &lt;grinnin'&gt;. Too bad you chose this year, as it seems to be a rimfire jam-bow-ree. Them itty-bitty 22 brasses are small and scattered.............. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Have fun! Don

anthracitic
04-13-2007, 05:57 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/rcutter/decomotel19.jpg
If you hit this place, you've gone too far-

eric B
04-13-2007, 06:06 PM
I just noticed you are from Elizabeth. I hunt over a Vizsla at Quail Run about 15 miles East of your hood. They make me pick up brass there too

eric B
04-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Just checked my schedule. I will be in AK on business over the entire period. Big exercise happening over that period. I will have to find another time to show the low-landers how to hit objects at altitude. I assume there is some sort of marksmanship challenge in the memory of the great Robin Hood and the consceientous objector, Calvin York. Now, having never been there I recommend someone else put the apple on his/her head (I will be busy picking up brass). Not sure what this type of competition is called if folks were to open up with smokepoles, rifles, shotguns and handguns. Anyhow, I am just rambling now because we got some of this snow storm and I don't want to set the tipi up in the mush on my first attempt.

Sawtooth
04-13-2007, 07:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you hit this place, you've gone too far- </div></div>

Ha, ha! This place really exists! Although it doesn't look as nice as this anymore. I stayed there once, but won't go into details...

It's only about two blocks from the Territorial Prison, so you gotta behave yourself.

Sawtooth
04-13-2007, 07:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what this type of competition is called </div></div>

a rendezvous...just like the mountain men had, only with some added modern firearms, archery equipment and gear. However, some of us play with the ancient toys, too. Which gets me thinking about the suggestion of an atlatl. If I really get cracking, maybe I could fashion one out of juniper before the Rondy.

Huntsman22
04-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Dang, I think I ran off an experienced brass pick-er-upper...... Better bring my own bucket, then. It would have been good to meetcha eric. Jobs......, they interfere with fun sometimes.Don

Sawtooth
04-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah Donnie, you never know who you'll run into at a Rondy, huh? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Smokepole
04-14-2007, 04:09 AM
Hey, Don, nobody said this had to be a rimfire-fest, but if you shoot the silhouettes vs. Hunter with his auto-loader and .22 bricks and choose to use a centerfire, keep tabs on your ammo. bill because we'll be taking side bets to see how high it goes. Speaking of that, can we bring some ammo.foryour .204? I know you'll be twisting his arm to shoot that thing at the gong (he really hates that), so what kind of ammo. can we bring that shoots good in it?

eric B
04-14-2007, 04:47 AM
Two thoughts... William Tell / atlatl

Cedar Alatl (http://cgi.ebay.com/Point-Barrow-Eskimo-spear-thrower-atlatl_W0QQitemZ180105460499QQihZ008QQcategoryZ417 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://www.advocacynet.org/images/photos_archive/ital_04_MelindaApple.jpg

ozarkrambler
04-14-2007, 04:47 PM
If anybody happens to have a Glock in 10mm (not 40 S&W) that has had a trigger job, or for that matter any Glock with a better than factory trigger, I wouldn't mind checking that out. Same thing goes for the 460 Rowland on a good 1911 frame.

Ozark

Huntsman22
04-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Smoke, No need to bring any 204. I've got maybe 700 rds. loaded. Unless you want to protect Hunter from my reloads........Then it is hornady 40's.

ozark, I'll bring that set of panniers if'n you want 'em.

Smokepole
04-15-2007, 04:40 AM
Don, no need for protection, I was just feeling a little guilty after last year. If you brought 700 rounds last year I figure Hunter shot about 500 of 'em. Maybe I shouldn't feel guilty, you were twisting his arm....

Huntsman22
04-15-2007, 09:13 AM
I hope Patrick gets his T.C. classic .17 ready for the rondy. Wanna do a stainless/comp to wood/blue comparisonalization.

CCH
04-16-2007, 07:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eric B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two thoughts... William Tell / atlatl

Cedar Alatl (http://cgi.ebay.com/Point-Barrow-Eskimo-spear-thrower-atlatl_W0QQitemZ180105460499QQihZ008QQcategoryZ417 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://www.advocacynet.org/images/photos_archive/ital_04_MelindaApple.jpg </div></div>

I would love to try that idea out as long as I'm on the atlatl end of things. We'll just need to see who has the flattest head so we have a suitable target. It being my first time with an atlatl, I'm probably not up to rolling targets. Don, think you could balance a kumquat on your head?

Scoutin' Wyo
04-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Since I'm self employeed (and like to make hay while the grass is green) would I be able to catch some of the fun iffen' I just showed up for the weekend? Or maybe the better question is what two days are best out of the five. I've almost got the wife talked into hanging out with a bunch of folks whom share the same sickness for chasing heaven in the wilderness.

Thanks!
Brian

Patrick
04-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Brian, Saturday and Sunday would be about Prime Time. You'll be right in the thick of all the doin's.

Sawtooth
04-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Scoutin' Wyo,

Let your misses know there will be other wives there as well. Well, at least ONE...mine. And kids, if you have any. My three girls will be there, flinging arrows and pellets and who knows what else. Last year between the two older girls and ozarkrambler's boys, there must have been a thousand arrows flown. All quite safely I might add.

Scoutin' Wyo
04-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks guys, I was hoping you were going to say that.

My wife loves being in the mountains and so does our 3 year old son. The little guy has a bow that kinda chucks foam balls and he loves it, but he is looking to be a lefty so the "formed" grip is wrong for him.

I hope I can make this trip. I have been wanting to make it for the past few years. I'm not sure if the location is top secret, but could someone tell me were the nearest town is. I'd like to calculate how long of a trip from Chey town.

Thanks again!
Brian

Sawtooth
04-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Scoutin' Wyo,

Check your PMs.

Kevin
04-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Scoutin', from Cheyenne, figure about 4 hours, or slightly less. I think you could do it in 3.5, but 4 to be cautious.

Scoutin' Wyo
04-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Check,, double check.

Thanks guys. Now I just need to sell one arm and half a leg to put gas in my big truck (40 gallon tank) and load up the camper. Google map even shows I can come through Bailey and Grant, which just happens to have the largest International Harvester salvage yard in CO. Hog heaven baby!!

Brian
P.S. Wife is about 99.9% in.

Sawtooth
04-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Wyo,

Grant does have a plethora of IH parts, old vehicles, etc., etc. You can't miss it. It's right behind the bar! If you end up in the river, you've gone too far.

Speaking of "Hog Heaven"...that's the name of a good BBQ place near Crow Hill, near Bailey. Check it out.

http://www.hogheavenbar-b-que.com/menu.htm

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

singleshot
04-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Huntsman 22
I came across this 20 foot long tarp. If you could bring some
2 x 4's and concrete we construction guys could rig up a covered firing line for Timberline. Then if we could just get some auto reset targets....

Timberline
04-18-2007, 04:31 PM
I have little confidence that construction guys could rig up anything aesthetically pleasing (this is handsome country) that the slightest breeze or a muzzle break wouldn’t tear down. Not enough duct tape in Colorado. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif What you'd need is a bunch of writers to help you.

How about a 16-man tipi pitched upside-down? Now that would at least look cool.

CCH
04-19-2007, 08:40 AM
What if the rhino tough cloth tarp is camo -- preferably Cabela's Outfitter to better match your clothes? The poles could be made of the latest, space age, ultra light carbon/titanium matrix weave. Drop down walls constructed of synthetic insulation encased in nylon would have removeable panels for changing insulation thickness so that quick and easy adjustments could be made for temperature changes. The concrete does seem problematic as it doesn't really adhere to the ultra light travel ethic. We'll have to work on that. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

idaho lad
04-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Best grade H&H with removable sideplates.

That like asking for the Ark of the Covenant.

It does show good taste though. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ozarkrambler
04-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Patrick, any chance of you bringing an X-Ray, Zulu, a Maurader, and an Express to the Rondy?? I got a good feel for what all the bigger packs offered last year, thats why I bought a ZXR, now I am looking at getting a smaller pack for shorter duration trips and 1-2 day canoe trips.

Thanks Ozark

Patrick
04-24-2007, 04:46 PM
ozark, we'll see to it. See you there!

Sawtooth
04-28-2007, 06:28 AM
If anyone is interested in materials to make what I call a "blow torch", I'll bring my extra copper tubing and plastic hose. I have enough of both to make around 10-12 of them. They make blowing life into a bed of coals in a fire much more efficient. Any takers?

Smokepole, I'll also have on hand a shipment of trioxane for you. At least a summer's worth. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Patrick
04-28-2007, 06:31 AM
Sign me up. I've seen you use yours, and never got around to creating one for myself. May as well have one from the Master. Great!

CCH
04-28-2007, 06:48 AM
Sawtooth, I'm in.

Timberline
04-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Me too. Sounds like a useful tool. I want to see it in action. Always something else to learn...which is a big part of what the Rendezvous is all about.

Sawtooth Ti Signature version?

Smokepole
04-29-2007, 05:02 AM
Yes, I would like one of the Sawooth signature blow torches too, can I get an autographed model? I want the one with the integral water filter and GPS.

Sawtooth
04-29-2007, 06:09 AM
Blowtorches are only for breathing OUT. Breathing in during use could prove painful! http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/Sawtooth_1963/eek3.gif

Scoutin' Wyo
04-30-2007, 09:04 AM
I will take one of the Sawtooth signature series, titanium, water filtration, GPS, rangefinder, blow torches that converts into an ultra light fly rod please. Oh and if I can get the limited edition autographed style in digital camo, that would be great too.

Let me know were to send my on line funds from my dead next of kin from a random 3rd world country (he gave me millions ya know). /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Brian

Huntsman22
04-30-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't want saw to be the only one givin' out goodies, so I'll bring a bucket-o-coyote howlers. If you need a cheaply made but effective call, look me up and ask for one....Don

Herb
04-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Sawtooth, sign me up for a torch.

Don, would you know where I could pick up a couple bales of certified hay in the area??

I'm planning on bringing some meats from the smoker, some sirloin blocks, bacon, hams. I'll get that fine tuned when I find out how many people are coming.

Huntsman22
04-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Herb, try this link.....
http://www.ag.state.co.us/DPI/WeedFreeForage/weedfree.html

Or the local feedstore sometimes has some, I can check tomorrow. We get ours in Steamboat, on the way to camp, so am not much help. If you come down 76, there used to be a guy in Brighton, but it has been 4 yrs. since I got any from him. Don

Herb
05-01-2007, 04:14 AM
Thanks, I'll check it out. My normal supplier is a couple hundred miles out of the way.

Smokepole
05-04-2007, 04:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Herb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm planning on bringing some meats from the smoker, some sirloin blocks, bacon, hams.</div></div>

Wow!!

Smokepole
05-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Herb, what does your tent look like? I'll want to stay close.....

Herb
05-04-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm going to try to get there early and see if I can make a little nest in one of the tipis, or I'll have a ST along.

Looking forward to checking out the variety of firearms and bows and I don't have anything too unique to offer in those departments, but food is an easy one for me.

Timberline
05-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Oh my! Woke up to 8 inches of snow this morning at my home just north of Colorado springs. My house is at 7,000 feet. The Kifaru Rendevzous site is at about 10,00 feet.

With the Rendouvzous only 1 1/2 weeks away, I'm left wondering if snowshoes or beach gear will be appropriate.

It'll probably be green, warm and sunny up there by Rendezous time, but we all best check the weather just before heading up the hill. It's been an interesting winter and spring in Colorado.

Sawtooth
05-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Timberline,

One constant at the Rondy site it the WIND.

Timberline
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Another is that Huntsman22 will show up with or do something interesting (read charming, heartwarming, or scary). Seems he usually has something for the kids, from rattlesnakes to watermelons to scads of .204 ammunition. Big softy.

Sawtooth
05-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Yes, quite so.

2004: Rattlesnake in a pickle jar. His and my reunion after
about 30 years, reloading bench set up on range, etc.
2005: Blew his nose off.
2006: Wait! Maybe he blew his nose off in '06.
2007: ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

Kevin
05-07-2007, 11:23 AM
When you put that in print, it's real funny, no matter who you are. Randall the rattler, and "help me find my nose" being part of the same fellow's history.

Huntsman22 is just a very entertaining fellow.

Sawtooth
05-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Just one clarification...the reunion was H22 and me, not between the rattler and me! Any meetings between rattlers and me end swiftly and completely.

Smokepole
05-08-2007, 04:01 AM
I wish someone would bring...chronograph(s)

CCH
05-08-2007, 05:50 AM
Smoke, I'm not going but I have a decrepit yet effective Chrony you can use. I won't even cry if Huntsman22 shoots it or gets his nose caught when changing batteries.

Smokepole
05-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks, that would be great, I'll try not to shoot it. The Huntsman may get excited when he sees the new paint job on my Kimber, no telling what might happen.

Sawtooth
05-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Who wants to paint a Guide Gun at the Rondy?

Smokepole
05-08-2007, 02:42 PM
I'll do it if you want, but the Huntsman is probably the better stock artist.

I only have Krylon Fusion for plastic. What's the finish on the wood? Wouldn't you have to strip the finish or prime it before painting?

Sawtooth
05-08-2007, 03:17 PM
It doesn't have a real shiny finish, but the wood is really smooth.

H22, what did you paint your wood stock with??? How did you prepare it for painting?

Huntsman22
05-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Sanded real lite, cleaned with spirits, then alcohol. Shot the paint after masking. Nuttin' to it.......I used fusion on the wood,with no primer, seems OK.

Sawtooth
05-08-2007, 04:11 PM
What grit on the sandpaper?

I might just bring it primed for painting.

But then I couldn't shoot it...

Oh hell, never mind. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Huntsman22
05-08-2007, 04:26 PM
So, we can paint it the first day, shoot it the second. I used 220 grit. It was the finest I had. If it's cold out, I'll have my portable heated paint booth with me /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Smokepole
05-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Well, let me know if you want me to bring the fusion, I have ultra flat camo colors, green, brown, and khaki, plus black webbing. I did a home made camo pattern on mine, it turned out pretty good I think. Painted the base layer green, then covered it with leaf-shaped stick-on paper patterns, then painted that brown, then put on the black webbing. So it's brown with green leaves and black webbing.

I'd post a photo, but you wouldn't be able to see it. The rifle, that is.

Sawtooth
05-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Go ahead and bring the paint. I might cut out a leaf to use. I did a custom paint job on a tree stand years ago with a real maple leaf as a stencil. It turned out pretty good.

Smokepole
05-08-2007, 06:08 PM
I used lint roller paper. Comes in tear-off sheets and it's sticky on one side, worked pretty well. I'll bring some, you never know when you'll need to take some lint off. Plus, it kinda looks like a TP roll so maybe we can pull a switcheroo on somebody......

Sawtooth
05-08-2007, 06:09 PM
YOUCH!

Timberline
05-10-2007, 06:55 AM
Sawtooth, mind if I run a box of standard factory ammo through your Guide Gun before you artists have at it? I'll bring the ammo.

I'm trying to decide if a Guide Gun makes sense for me, and that hands-on/shooting opportunity would be just what I need. I wouldn't want to somehow mess up brand-new paint.

Sawtooth
05-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Timberline,

You can shoot it all you want. I will have some factory (Remington) ammo on hand as well. 405's.

I haven't done any reloading for it yet. I haven't had a chance to work through roll crimping (never done that). Any pointers on roll crimping by you handgunners or lever gun fellows would be appreciated. I have my dies for the 45-70, brass, etc. Just doint know what I'm doing with bullet seating.

CCH
05-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Sawtooth, based on internet perusal it would appear that many .45-70 reloaders prefer the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I bought one several years ago and it has worked out quite well thus far.

ozarkrambler
05-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Timberline, I have a semi-custom guide gun I am thinking about selling if you decide you are interested. Dave Clay did all the work.

Here's what I did:

I took a standard 22" bbl pistol gripped stock and had the bbl cut to 20 inches, and had the stock cut down an inch and put a pachmeyer dec. pad with the metal removed on it. I don't like the straight stock as well and Dave told me that the straight stocks are more apt to split under heavy recoil. He also did a trigger job on it that you can't believe is on a lever action. Same thing goes for the action job, pure silk. You can operate it with your little finger. He also installed one of his large lever loops on it. These are not as big and gaudy as some of the other loops you may have seen. He also silver soldered the mag tube and forarm hanger which he said can shake loose with the big thumpers. It has Ashley front and rear sights and their scout scope mount on it. It is a sweet rig, and is ready to go, it is in 99.99% condition as I have not shot it very much. I have about 1900.00 in it but I think I would sell it for 1500.00

Ozark

Huntsman22
05-10-2007, 05:35 PM
I have to miss Saturday aftenoon due to a good friend's daughters wedding. At least it's close to the rondy site. Just down the road at the ranch in Hartsel. The one with all the bufflers. Sawtooth, you oughtta remember Monte? His girl. Don

Sawtooth
05-11-2007, 03:56 AM
Makes me feel old, Donnie! Ha, ha. He's living in Hartsel? That's about halfway between my place and the Rondy site.

Smokepole
05-11-2007, 05:27 AM
Don and Sawtooth, you guys gonna be up there on Friday?

Timberline
05-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Ozarkrambler, any chance you could bring that semi-custom guide gun to the Rendezvous? I’d love to handle and shoot it. I may indeed be interested.

In the same vein, I find myself wondering if any Rendezvous-goers might be interested in a <span style="color: #CC0000">custom XP-100 in 7mm-08</span>? It’s set up with custom mounts and a Leupold 2.5-8, and is quite possible the ultimate in long-range handgun hunting from varmints all the way up to elk. And it’s just plain FUN to shoot! The Rendezvous would be a great place to try it out. Sell or interesting trade.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/WyAntelope2005-1.jpg

Sawtooth
05-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Smoke,

If we (the family is coming) are there Friday, it'll be after supper time. Probably close to 8. If not, then we'll be there first thing Saturday morning.

It takes a little longer to get three little girls loaded up in the truck than it does coming by myself!

Kevin
05-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Sawtooth and Smokepole:
I'm meeting CCH on Wednesday, and picking up a model 64, chrono, and sewing machine.

Sawtooth
05-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks, Kevin...a whole bunch. I'll have a cold Fat Tire with your name on it next weekend.

Kevin
05-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Outstanding.

CCH
05-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Model 60. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif If Timberline is bringing up rifle pistols to trade/sell, perhaps you should spread your Hudson Bay blankets and swap goods for wampum, but hang on to my Smith please.

ozarkrambler
05-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Hey, does anyone who is going to the rondy have a Bivanorak? If so I would like to see one that wasn't in a picture.

In case nobody has one that is going to be at there, about how small do they compress, and how durable is the material?

Thanks

Kevin
05-11-2007, 02:17 PM
My fault. I guess I'm just no longer used to those guns that go round and round.

Timberline
05-11-2007, 03:21 PM
CCH - Capital idea! How many glass beads for a new Rambling Rifle?

Kevin - Sewing machine, Betsy Ross?

Sawtooth
05-11-2007, 03:39 PM
The sewing machine is for my summer, between-rambles, sewing projects. It's the price I pay for not working June, July and August each year..

CCH
05-11-2007, 03:47 PM
I'd give a few thousand glass beads for a Rambling Rifle particularly if I could use a check from my account at Bead Bank.

Sawtooth, I think some place like Jo-An fabric or the like is going to be your best bet for that satin material and lace trim.

Sawtooth
05-11-2007, 07:11 PM
CCH,

Thanks for the tips, buddy. I'll make a bivy sack out of it! Then maybe Smokepole would stop making fun of my Crocs.

Smokepole
05-12-2007, 04:15 AM
As long as we're talking potential trades/purchases, anyone interested in a .300 Wby. Mag. Mk V or a late model M70 Supergrade .25-06 let me know.

Kevin and CCH: Thanks!! I owe you both a cold one of your choice.

Sawtooth: I may stop making fun of the crocs, but if the lace trim is for your silk boxers, I don't ever want to see that in camp.

CCH
05-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Smokepole, right area, wrong garment. I'm a water man, no lemon.

Huntsman22
05-14-2007, 06:05 PM
If any of you guys want to trade for some cci 400 small rifle primers, I will swap you for your cci 200 large rifle ones. I am about out of larges, but have a extra brick of smalls, since I went to others in the 204. Thanks, Don

ozarkrambler
05-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Timberline, I'll bring my 45-70, only problem is I may not have time to load up any shells for it. You might want to bring a box of shells if you want to shoot it. Not sure what loads the sights are set for, but we can adjust for whatever you want.

Ozark

Timberline
05-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Ozark,

I'll bring standard factory 45-70 ammo. I'm not much worried about accuracy at this point. What I'm trying to determine is the rifle's feel and compatibility (with me). As long as it goes BOOM, we're good to go.

Enjoy the drive, and be safe. See you there.

Kevin
05-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Damn, I'm looking forward to the Rondy. Gonna be great fun,as many of you fine folks I see only once per year.

Timberline
05-16-2007, 09:47 AM
The looniest of the Kifaru loonies are already inbound on the high-mountain Rendezvous site. A few may already be there.

And I’m chained to my desk for at least six more hours and not happy about it.

The late, great Fred Bear once wrote that on the day before he was scheduled to leave for any hunting or camping trip “his legs would get too long for his desk.” Fred always had a way with words.

Funny, the area under my desk seems to be shrinking…

Sawtooth
05-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Timberline,

Yours and mine BOTH! I have students outside today taking physical fitness tests. This beautiful weather is great! I just keep looking toward the north, wishing...

Then, lo and behold...I got stuck with jury duty tomorrow, and possibly Friday.

So by Friday afternoon I'll have already gone BONKERS.

CCH
05-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Some how I don't think a Cub Scout day camp is going to quite compare... Have fun!

The Vigilante
05-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Hog Heaven,... thats the name of the area I hunt in the salish mountains. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Kevin
05-16-2007, 07:42 PM
BTW, I met with CCH tonight, and he sends his best wishes.

Also, his sewing machine and chronograph, and a Model 60. He also has some 10mm ammo for free if anyone owns one, and some stuff that Sawtooth may want....brass for one of his toys. Same price, nada.

Sawtooth
05-16-2007, 08:34 PM
CCH,

Thank you so very much, and we all will miss you. Kevin, thanks also to you for carting all that stuff up to the Rondy.

Jury duty was cancelled. Things are looking up.

A day and a wake up.

CCH
05-17-2007, 06:21 AM
Sawtooth, don't leave the extra care package sitting waiting to reload. It's not just brass. You guys have fun!

Scoutin' Wyo
05-17-2007, 11:58 AM
It looks like I will not be able to attend the rondy after all this year. Family plans have done a 180 in the past week and that puts this weekend out of reach.

I hope you all have a great time. I guess I have to wait another year to meet all you great folks face to face.

Brian

thewolverine
05-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Looks like work will do me in for much of the rondy but at the least I will try to drive out early Saturday, just to say hi, and leave some single malt for those staying..

Cameron
05-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Well it is Friday night (actually now it is Saturday morning) and I am prepping for the Rondy...

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m198/2007cam/Stuff/RondyPrep.jpg

See you there...

elmbow
05-19-2007, 07:13 AM
I'm guessing we may need to call the EPA in to the Rondy grid coordinates after this weekend to do a superfund cleanup site eval from the looks of the lead that will be going downrange. If this trend continues, a Forest Service Special Use permit may be required with portapotties, and aid stations. I kept hoping up to the end that my schedule was going to let me drive over, but it didn't happen. I hope you all enjoy the company, cooking, and conversation. Travel safe and I'll tip one at home to good weather and good friends.

Smokepole
05-19-2007, 07:22 AM
I came home to pick up my son and go back up this morning, leaving in a little while.

As always, great food, shooting, conversation, and people. I missed Herb's ribeyes on Wednesday evening, but that won't be happening again.

See you next year, elmbow.

CCH
05-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Cameron, you look a little shy on armament there. Just got a half-ton truck? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif