PDA

View Full Version : I tore my 4 man Kifaru...

bigbore442001
03-10-2007, 07:01 PM
I decided to strike down my 4 man Kifaru tipi today since I doubt I will be doing any camping in the near future. There was a part of it on the ground that had some snow and ice. I didn't fully engage the brain and pulled on it. Needless to say, I tore a nice gash in the fabric.

Not a happy camper. I will have to patch it up. Any ideas on the best way to do it?

Woods Walker
03-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Shoot. I would sew it up than get some sil nylon scraps and make a patch. Use Sil net or the GE goop and cover one side than stick it on. Will be just about as strong as new. I bet after it was pitched for so long the ice built up. Ice can be sharp. Kifaru could fix it too. I bet they would not charge too much. I think wilderness fabrics sell sil nlyon.

http://www.owfinc.com/

http://www.ultralighttarps.com/

If you canít get what you need from these companies just find a sil nylon stuff sack and cut it up for stock. Just overlap the cut by at least an inch or so.

Ed C
03-10-2007, 07:36 PM
bigbore

I tore mine I called Kifaru and asked for a couple scraps. Then I siliconed em on good as new. How big is the tear?

T Bone
03-10-2007, 07:40 PM
I tore my Para Tipi. As we speak, its at the Kifaru shop being mended, hopefully mostly good as new.

CAMOEDTJ
03-10-2007, 08:55 PM
I TOOK MINE OUT FOR THEFIRST TIME THIS PAST WEEKEND AND PUT A NICE 2INCH LONG RIP IN MINE TOO /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I FIGURE ILL SEND IT IN THIS SUMMER TO GET FIXED JUST IN CASE I EVER WANT TO PUT IT UP FOR SALE IN THE GARAGE SALE FORUM!

Woods Walker
03-10-2007, 09:05 PM
How did it happen?

CAMOEDTJ
03-10-2007, 09:09 PM
i had a dumb a** atack and tried to save a few steps of bringing limbs over to my tipi by tossing them close to yhe door. lesson learned (DONT BE LAZEY AND TRY TO SAVE A FEW STEPS)!!

bigbore442001
03-11-2007, 01:25 AM
The tear is about 9" long. I was pulling up on a spot that was frozen to the ground. Dumb move.

copper
03-11-2007, 09:08 AM
9" = send it in. That's not a dinky patch job.

T Bone
03-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Send it in. They'll patch it up.

Just got my Para-tipi back from Kifaru. Very well done IMO. Just need to seal it up and I'm good to go.

rambler_wannabe
03-20-2007, 06:31 AM
send it in. they have the tools (sewing machine and STRONG thread) to make it last. Tearing out near a stake loop needs a patch that is as strong or stronger than original. poking a hole in it different.