PDA

View Full Version : Odd-Ball Uses for a Kifaru Pack

Timberline
03-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Because we carry so little gear, rambling hunters and backpackers are generally forced to make everything do double or triple duty. For example, a walking stick becomes a ParaTipi tent pole, a foil freeze-dried food bag becomeís a collapsible drinking cup, etc.

Of particular note, I think, are all the backcountry uses for a Kifaru backpack, besides comfortably carrying all manner of stuff. It can also be used as a pad, prop, pillow and a whole lot more.

<span style="color: #000099">I wonder how long a list we could make </span>of practical uses for a Kifaru pack Ė besides packing things - when far from the roads?

Iíll start the list off with two such non-carry uses. I often use my Kifaru packs as SHOOTING RESTS. Lying prone with a rifle or handgun rested over a Kifaru pack is nearly as good as a shooting bench.

I also occasionally use my Kifaru packs as a GAME PROP for photographs. When stumps, rocks or logs are scarce, a Kifaru packs fills in to get the animalís head off the ground. See photo.

<span style="color: #000099">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/XP-100AntelopeonPack.jpg</span>

<span style="color: #000099">What odd-ball uses DO YOU HAVE for your Kifaru pack when hunting or backpacking?</span>

Sawtooth
03-05-2007, 09:42 AM
1. Chair for glassing. Chair for napping. A chair. These were in the old days. I now have a field chair.
2. Sleeping bag cover for tarping or unplanned bivy. It only covers the foot section of the bag.
3. Rifle rest.
4. Stovewood hauler. I can fit at least 2 days worth of stovewood in a Late Season, WAY more than that in a Longhunter. This is especially handy when you're camped above timberline, and need to drop 500-1,000 feet to gather dead krummholz or willow, and then haul it back up to camp.
5. Water hauler. See #4.

Brotzie
03-05-2007, 11:22 AM
I've found my Kifaru stuff is SO water-resistant that I've used my small pod as a washbowl. Found this out the hard way when my CamelBak burst in the slot pocket in my Zulu... Only noticed when some of the water sloshed over the top, and the leakage was so slow that I managed to use the tube part to just slurp out a substantial part of the water direct from the pocket.

poel
03-05-2007, 11:30 AM
I don't really consider this oddball, but some might. Here is a large Pellican case with geophysical instruments bungeed on the cargo chair of a CB Longhunter Guide. Lunch, raingear and other essential toys go inside. Works for me.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/poel01/CBLH2.jpg

Kevin
03-05-2007, 12:33 PM
I use the cargo chair for an ice chest holder while fishing.

Cold beer on the river is a good thing.

Sawtooth
03-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Now there's a thought, Kevin! Smokepole...you have a cargo chair don't you? Would you mind packing a 12-pack of Fat Tire in to our mutually favorite high lake this coming summer? I'll clean your fish...

CCH
03-05-2007, 01:33 PM
It's been mentioned before, but my Late Season with cargo chair gets used as a kid carrier fairly frequently.

Sawtooth, Kevin's pack will fit at least a case of Fat Tire. Don't sell him short like that.

Brotzie
03-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Does using the pack stays as splints count too?

+1 on kid carrier! Anyone used an EMR as a kid's bivy bag? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Michael Aos
03-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I had my Scout set-up as kind of a "bug out bag" (BoB), and got in the habit of tossing it in the vehicle whenever I went anywhere.

Kind of fell out of the habit though.

Mike

Pilgrim
03-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Poel,
Good lookin pack!

rnd3789
03-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Timberline,
Great question and thought provoking.

As a 57 yr. OLD, former basketball referee I have more than my share of back pain and arthritis, including an artificial hip. When I go to elk camp each year I take my Spikecamp, LS, AND Siwash. I hunt each day with ether the Spike or the LS. My Siwash is always packed for any bivy outs we may do from base camp.

I sleep at home in bed with a large pillow under my knees to change the angle of my hips and spine. A couple of years ago I got the idea of using my loaded Siwash to put under my knees to take the place of the pillow at home. Works great.

BTW, I just had my 10th anniversary appointment with my hip surgeon and he said the x-rays look great. In those ten years I have hunted elk 8 times in the Rockies, one trip to the Northwest Territories for caribou and been to Zimbabwe for 17 days. I also walk between 300 and 400 miles each year for exercise, albeit in the flat corn country of IN. Thank God for modern knowledge in surgical procedures. I feel like I am 25 ( mentally, anyway.)

Nick

GSV45
03-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Coyote Brown Longhunter Guide ?

Hubba Hubba!

Aimless
03-06-2007, 07:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSV45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coyote Brown Longhunter Guide ?

Hubba Hubba! </div></div>
Is that one of those special orders we aren't allowed to ask about?

rnd3789
03-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I thought of another use I have used for any Kifaru pack with the cargo chair. As long as you don't have to trverse through a dense stand of timber with saplings close together I have used the pack and cargo chair to transport my Double Bull blind in turkey season. For me it rides easier there than throwing it over my shoulder.
Nick

Ken
03-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Did someone mention packing beer around??

What to do once your party's Moose tag is punched??...fill up the cooler and head out for some recreational calling...

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/8370/moose1gw4.jpg

/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

William Clunie
03-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Ken,
I remember that week well.
I have mentioned this one before . . . I carry all my turkey hunting gear in my longhunter, then when I find a good spot I empty it -- placing the decoys in their proper places, and use the cargo chair for seating comfort. It works perfectly.

William Clunie

poel
03-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Hadn't checked this thread lately but yes, the CB LHG was special order. Heavier than standard since it uses the 1000 weight material and cost an extra 10%. I REALLY like it.

BrooklynBen
03-11-2007, 08:52 PM
I've taken my Marauder to Trade Conventions a number of times and found it great for stuffing pounds of literature and samples into organized sections. I was even allowed to bring it in once by a Security guard who was supposed to stop backpacks from coming in, because I pointed to all PALs straps and told her; "Oh no, it's not really a backpack, as it's used to hook together other items inside the venue".

Hey, I'm not even really sure what that explanation means, except that it wasn't exactly a lie and it was good enough to confuse the issue just enough to have her wave me in. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

SuperBadger
03-12-2007, 06:32 AM
My Marauder gets used almost every day to haul my books to and from school- that's when I'm not hiking with it.

When hiking, my bag has seen a lot of use as a camera bag, it works great because of it's squarish build, and the ability to open the front flap all the way. My tripod usually gets strapped on the bottom, or on one of the sides. I've also used it as a pillow numerous times....

Sawtooth
03-13-2007, 09:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Chair </div></div>

http://www.hunt101.com/img/307642.JPG

This works by flipping the Cargo Chair either forward or backward. I had to get set up quickly here, so it just went one way and I got to it.