PDA

View Full Version : To get drain holes or not get drain holes?

agentofwrath
03-11-2003, 07:06 AM
Any thoughts? Are these just for maritime ops, or would they be beneficial otherwise. Thanks!

AbnMedOps
03-11-2003, 09:27 AM
That's a good question that I've been mulling myself. On the one hand, it is a very good idea to have the ruck drain itself after a total-immersion stream crossing or swim. On the other hand, I've seen some interesting bugs make themselves at home via the drain holes in an ALICE ruck (and wondered about the potential for a scorpion). Also, rucks do tend to get dumped in puddles, snow, mud, and sand. Of course, that's why we like ziplock-bag contents. All things considered, I think I'd get the holes, and seal them with "100 mile-an-hour tape" (OD green duct tape) in a dusty sandy environment.

Tyde
03-11-2003, 12:41 PM
All Non-Grunts,
get the pack how you like. Worry about bugs, dust, and mud. But if you use it tactically, after your first river/stream crossing/helo cast, don't bitch in that grunt's face (hand and arm sigs) about how "heavy your pack is".

Drain holes good, water proof gear inside (2 layers) good. Water proof pack will not be water proof after several days of tactical movement. Otherwise every one would carry those water proof backpacks in Cableas. Water resistant pack is there to protect and carry water proofed items. The only water you want to carry is to drink.

Answers:
Tactical=drain holes
Non-Tactical=your pref

Good Luck and Good Hunting
Tyde

eggroll
03-13-2003, 02:39 PM
couldn't have said it better myself

I got mine w/o... then sent them back to get popped and grommetted - a must do IMO

Deathmachine
03-13-2003, 03:11 PM
Good point you can't have them undone after you order the drain holes, just cover them up.

agentofwrath
03-14-2003, 04:39 AM
THANKS! GREAT INTEL! JUST SENT MY ORDER IN. I WAS TOLD ONLY A 2-WEEK WAIT! EVEN BETTER! BE SAFE!

Burt Gummer
03-14-2003, 05:45 PM
I ordered a Marauder and EMR a few weeks ago. Got them with drains.

Can't hurt IMHO.

A few bucks more can't kill me.