PDA

View Full Version : Question about Super tarp

Justin Davis
02-27-2007, 11:28 AM
I am planning getting one this summer for my hunting needs. But I had a question about the floorless design. I generally would use it for ELk and Deer hunting high in the mountains, but I also would use it for Antelope hunting. Where I antelope hunt there are snakes and all sorts of insects that like crawling into things. With the no floor design would this be a problem? Or would it keep them out ok? I just dont really feel like waking up to a rattle cuddling by my face.

Songdog
02-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Until it gets cold enough to put the less desirable ground dwelling critters to bed for the winter, I use a small OR bug bivy inside the tarp. That is if I use the tarp at all. Most of the time when the creepy crawlys are out there's no need for the tarp in my area. By the time the weather turns sour enough to warrant it they're all underground.

Woods Walker
02-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Maybe in the movies fearsome rattlesnakes and copperheads are drawn to people's sleeping bags and shelters like flies on a carcass but in the real world this does not happen. It has never happened to me and I can be that within all of human history it does not happen all that often as for the most part snakes are mild and want nothing to you in any way. People get tagged most often when they can't leave good enough alone and decide to play hero and screw around with the snake. AKA you go to the snake not the other way around. Or just plain old bad luck. AKA you drop something and when you go to pick it up you place your hand by the snake. This is much like slipping on a rock or bumping into a branch. Just bad luck. They are also not stupid. Pit vipers can see heat and they know large animals from warm rocks etc. On the insect issue I get the same number of tick bites no matter what the shelter I use as these tend to be picked up in the brush. The only time I give any consideration to insects is during the height of bug season and then I bring along a bug bivy or just sleep in my Hennessy Hammock.

Sawtooth
02-27-2007, 01:29 PM
I use my Para Tipi in semi-arid foothills at home in Colorado a lot. My "outdoor lab" on our property is a prime example. Our country is inhabited by rattlesnakes, tarantulas, scorpions, and two kinds of poisonous spiders. The only one of these I even think much about are the scorpions. Only because it's so easy to lay down on one, or pull on a boot with one in it. And the scorpion stings I've had haven't killed me. I really don't worry about the rattlers. I've never had one come close to camp. I've only found one scorpion in camp. I just transplated him away from camp and rolled on. No problem. The floorless design has not been a problem at all for me.

Just use some common sense and don't put your tipi over obvious "snaky" spots.

Kevin
02-27-2007, 01:55 PM
I do have a hunting partner who had a rattler crawl into a blind with him during the day, antelope hunting near Craig. Hot day.

But that's a rarity. I camped all over South Texas, which is real rattlesnake country, in a Whelen tent and thought nothing of it.

Come to think of it, I did roll over on a snowshoe hare over by Steamboat Springs one night. No tent, just sleeping under the stars. I woke up when he was squealing underneath me.

Sawtooth
02-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Kevin,

Midnight snack? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Pilgrim
02-27-2007, 09:49 PM
You must turn over pretty fast in your sleep to nail one of those speedy little guys!

snakey2
02-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Kevin sleeping with a snow bunny. Funny how rumors get started.

Justin Davis
02-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah I am not worried just wondering. I have noticed that when I put up a Antelope blind and leave it for a few days the creatures really flock to it, maybe because of the dark shelter enviroment. I have been sitting in there and have had big old trantulas, beetles and one baby rattle come right on in. But I guess it is probably not a problem with the tarp. The bug bivy is a good tip. I am not scared of creepy cralwers just would prefer them out of my sleeping bag!!
Thanks again