PDA

View Full Version : Ed Lachapelle dies

Jim N
02-11-2007, 05:05 PM
One of the pioneers in avalanche research, Ed Lachapelle, died recently. Never met him but he was required reading for backcountry travelers & folks involved in avalanche control back when I made my living working in ski areas. In fact, at that time ('70's) he was practically the only reading. Any of you folks know him?

Buck W
02-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Didn't know him, but read his books, and went to one of his lectures.

Hills
02-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Many moons ago I talked to a man on the phone in Little Cottonwood Canyon, Utah and he was in charge of Avalanche Control. I wanted something more than the quick and dirty avalanche books I saw available. He later gave me 2 books that were the bibles at that time, The Snowy Torrents and Avalanche Handbook I believe.They were the previous edition but little had changed. He was very helpful with books and questions. I never got his name but he was almost certainly Ed Lachapelle as that canyon was in the U.S. forefront of avalanche research. Later when I visited Mc Carthy, AK. one winter, I learned he was living there nearly self sufficient, growing vegetables and so on. A lady I met who had lived there said he was still living there as of a few years ago.