PDA

View Full Version : Super Tarp Questions

MtGoat
02-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Will two sleeping pads slid together fit in a SuperTarp between the poles? The pads are 60" wide (for the two) and 78" long. Will there be room for a stove in the Annex? Is a mosquito net available for the Annex (danged West Nile) and in the summer months can the sides be "battened down" enough to keep the skeeters out?

I am hoping to use the Supertarp instead of the 4-man Tipi if the 2 sleeping pads will fit togehter side by side (we usually use an Adam and Eve sleeping bag)

Thanks
Pat

Songdog
02-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Yes, they'll fit. If they're both 30" it will occupy most of the width, but they'll fit. Between the poles is easy. I can barely stretch enough to tough one with my hand and one with my feet.

Yes, there's room for the stove in the annex.

No on the netting.

Try it, you'll love it.

JasonB
02-07-2007, 03:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is a mosquito net available for the Annex (danged West Nile) and in the summer months can the sides be "battened down" enough to keep the skeeters out?
</div></div>

I think a USGI mosquito net will fit a Supertarp fairly well based on the net being quite a bit larger than necessary for my Paratarp. I used a lightweight Coghlans backpacker net last summer with the Para pitched as a lean to and in A frame style with the edges tucked under my sleep mat with good results so it isn't too hard to rig something up that is workable.

Ksnake
02-08-2007, 06:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Will there be room for a stove in the Annex?
</div></div>

Depends... What kind of stove?

MtGoat
02-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Ksnake,

I am looking at the small stove just to make it easier to hold the fire longer.

The grass hay goes in the paper today...so hopefully in a couple of weeks my order can go in. (the sale of the hay will finance the new shelter...hopefully):)

ozarkrambler
02-08-2007, 04:26 PM
MtGoat, what part of the country are you located in? Hay is scarce in the Midwest and I might be interested.

Thanks Ozark

MtGoat
02-09-2007, 04:39 AM
Ozark,

I am in SW Idaho. A bit of a trip for hay and I just have 4 acres that I hay (enough to be alot of work but not enough to make it pay:)

Pat

Ksnake
02-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Small stove should work. Just wanted to make sure you weren't thinking about a non-kifaru type stove which might not work so well.

Woods Walker
02-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Ksnake.

I see a loop in the peak of that fine ST. I wonder if the annex could be set up without the front pole if someone was luck enough to find an overhead branch in just the right spot.

Mt goat.

The small Kifaru stove is one of my most used gear items. It makes for a fine cooker too. Does everything I need. The bigger the stove the less work to run it.

Ken
02-10-2007, 03:57 AM
WW- You could pin the Annex on. I can't say I would want to test the snow loading capabilities in such a configuration, but for rain it would probably do...

Ksnake
02-10-2007, 05:24 AM
Woods,

If you dont have a lucky branch overhead, you could tie a pole between two trees, then tie up to that. Or just tie a rope across if you're not expecting snow or high winds.

Not sure how the annex would be held up though since it is designed to fit under the tarp. You could probably sew on some loops and attach it. Or pin it like Ken suggests.

Ken, is there any way you could drape the annex over the top? It would be supported by your front rope which can be staked out at an angle.

danh
02-10-2007, 05:34 AM
Ken is getting the snow that he has been hoping for! sorry for the hijack