PDA

View Full Version : ParaTipi w/ stove mounted in front ???

4 Hands
02-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Has anyone else heard that Kifaru will place the stove jack in the front (vs. the middle) of the ParaTipi leaving more open space in the middle of the ParaTipi (similar to the configuration of the SuperTarp w/ Annex and stove?

Alternatively, has there been talk of or interest in developing a tipi which is a mix of the ParaTipi and the SuperTarp?

It would look like the SuperTarp with the annex, but the annex would be permanently welded (i.e., totally integrated) with the SuperTarp. This would provide the benefits of the open space of the SuperTarp with the stove upfront, and the fully enclosed (bombproofness) of the paratipi.

Dave R.
02-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Why not have two jacks in the para-tipi one in the roof...one in the door. 4 hands...I do like the super tarp arrangement though because the center pole is up front rather than in the middle....maybe you are on to something...

4 Hands
02-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Will Kifaru build a second stove jack upon request. If so, this arrangement would allow me to use the normal stove jack when using it by myself (I could slide the stove to one side in this instance) and use the alternate stove jack mounted over the door when two people are inside ... this would allow two people to be side-by-side without fear of bumping into the stove. It would only leave the pole in the middle which shouldn't be an issue.

I imagine this will work well for me.

In both instances, I am hoping the parastove is sufficient (vs. the small stove) as I would like to have the entire outfit be lean.

Woods Walker
02-03-2007, 09:13 PM
I would go with the small stove as the extra oz's are made up in less work to burn the stove.

Dave R.
02-04-2007, 05:33 PM
4-hands you should call Kifaru and ask that question....maybe they can do that for you.

Dave

4 Hands
02-05-2007, 07:21 PM
I agree. I'll call when I get a free moment and will post the answer.

damon
02-06-2007, 08:12 PM
To be honest, what you are looking for is the reason I went with the paratipi over the ST/annex. I feel like I remember Patrick saying that the shop could do such a custom alteration, but for right now they are quite busy with everything else. For me, I would rather have the “seal” of the PT and “deal” with the stove in its original placement for now since I will typically be using this set up solo (in which case I’d rather have it in the middle anyway). Once I get my wife to commit to coming with me (which is still several months out), then I would want to the second jack put in. In my opinion (based on no real time in the field in either set up so take with a helping of salt), I would rather have the warmest, most “bombproof” design at the sacrifice of a bit of comfort…you can always deal w/ elbow room issues for a night or two, but there might be a time where I would want to milk every last degree of heat from my system that was possible (not sure if that all made sense).

Either way, let us know what the response is when you talk to “the man.”

Forster
02-07-2007, 06:39 AM
4Hands:
I am in agreement with you about having a SuperTarp with the features of an Annex on permanently and especially if it is a one piece affair. I have owned a Paratipi and have a tarp and annex as well; and in my opinion the Paratipi is a much more ruggedly built tent then the featherweight tarps that I prefer to carry. I'm not knocking the Paratipi at all it is the utimate in one or two man lightweight protection, I just prefer the lighter weight of the tarps for what I do. However, the way the annex fits on does not appeal to me. Instead, It would not take much to continue the material on the openning of a tarp to form two wings that could be shut up just like the anex or opened up to look like the current tarp. It may even require a seam on each side but it would be a lightweight one. To me the extra weight and bulk in a tent/tarp come from two many additional seams, taped edges, zippers, velcro tapes, and even extra stove pipe jacks. Our idea would really increase the protection in a tarp and not add an ounce of weight over carrying along an annex. It should even reduce the weight a bit and certainly the bulk. I know I would buy one and I'm guessing you would too; but I don't know if there is enough demand to warrent asking Patrick to consider it. I really don't want to be a pain in his side, as he is nice enough to provide this messge board and deal with alot of our/my special requests.

4 Hands
02-08-2007, 08:55 AM
I was able to connect with Kifaru a few days ago on the issue of adding an additional stove port in the door area of the paratipi. In typical Kifaru fashion, by the time I called they had apparently already read my post and mulled over the idea -- how fantastic! The impression I got from talking to Amanda, who spoke with Patrick was that this idea is something they didn't dismiss but could not commit to performing at this time due to current order commitments.

This is good news as it gives me a little more time to mull things over. That said, I am centering on the idea of the paratipi with the idea that if needed, I may be able to add a stove port down the line.

I still believe the idea of enclosing the SuperTarp for a "SuperPara" is a solid idea and one I hope Kifaru will continue to take under advisement ... but the ParaTipi is available now ... and I "need" more gear now.

Owning only a 6-man now, what I really need to concentrate on is getting to a 100% level of confidence that the paratipi is the right direction.

If anyone lives around the Castle Rock area and has a ParaTipi with enough space to set up and show me I would love to see one in person.

I was originally going to go with the parastove, but I will give deference to those folks such as WW, etc. that have tons of experience in the paratipi and go with the suggested small stove.

Thanks for everyone's feedback thus far. Free "counseling" is a good thing for this semi-addiction.

Sawtooth
02-08-2007, 09:00 AM
4 Hands,

I live a ways southwest of you, but if you want to arrange a mini-micro-minisucle Rondy, let's get together. I can come up on my way to see my dad, Huntsman22, family in Denver...just about anybody I would go and see, I have to drive through Castle Rock to do so.

Or you can come down.

I have a Para Tipi and small stove.

PS: I'm off February 19-20 (Monday-Tuesday) for Winter Break.

damon
02-08-2007, 09:05 AM
I live in littleton and have a paratipi small stove. Since this was a relatively new purchase, I still am outside every weekend playi...I mean testing it. Welcome to come have a look. BTW, I almost chose the parastove but after using my small stove, I am very glad that I didn't get anything smaller.

Forster
02-08-2007, 12:14 PM
"I still believe the idea of enclosing the SuperTarp for a "SuperPara" is a solid idea and one I hope Kifaru will continue to take under advisement ."

Agreed! I'll buy one whenf it happens.

when and if = whenf

4 Hands
02-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Sawtooth: Thanks for the offer. I think I may try to hit of Damon (being that he lives much closer), but I think the idea of a "micro-rondy" with you, your dad and others in the area is something we should really consider. I just had a baby 3 weeks ago, so when I get a pass, I will drop you a line and see what can be arranged.

Damon: I am going to send you a PM to see if we can't connect.

Thanks, all
4 Hands

02-11-2007, 09:01 PM
I have the Paratarp-annex/para stove and a Paratipi/small stove. One thing I have come to find a little frustration with the tipi is the stove placement when my wife is camping with me. Being that she is my wife its kind of nice to ummm well sleep next to each other and the stove is well sort of like a 3 wheel on a date if ya know what I mean...

Resistor.

MtGoat
02-12-2007, 04:43 AM
That has been the biggest drawback to getting a Kifaru tent. To get something where two can sleep next to each other you have to go to a 8-man which is a bit overkill for 2 people. The SuperTarp with Annex looks to be just the ticket other than having to have it modified in several ways (better connection for Annex, mosquito netting for entrance...possibly an annex out of netting (no stove option, and a section of netting for Spring/Fall excursions when bugs are still an issue but you need a stove). I figure if Kifaru can't/won't make the modifications then a local tent and canvas shop can (much much better if Kifaru can do one off customs???).

Patrick, will you do one off customs for the SuperTarp/Annex combo (better attachment system and mosquito netting for the Annex)?

The netting is important as we lost a number of people last year to West Nile Virus and I really don't like to bath in DEET (I wash it off to go to bed) and it is not worth the risk just for lack of netting.

Pat

02-12-2007, 07:20 AM
"The Married Couple Paritipi". Sounds like a new model!!
Now if we could just zip the new Kifaru sleeping bags together...

Res.

MtGoat
02-12-2007, 07:54 AM
On the other hand some couples would benefit from two seperate tents ;>)

Pat

Patrick
02-12-2007, 07:57 AM
MtGoat, we hope to someday get ahead enough to allow for some custom work, we're just not there right now. We're putting on more folks, etc. On mosquitos, my best advice is smoke coils. I'm very serious about that. Netting doesn't really fix the bug problem because they'll get inside if, when, you leave the tent anyway. Unless you hole up in there like a prisoner. Not good. The coils keeps 'em out. Residual odor works even after the coils are out. By the way, DEET is wholesome stuff! If it weren't I'd have been dead a loooong time ago.

Songdog
02-12-2007, 09:54 AM
When the little buggers do get in the tent try stoking the stove up as hot as you can get it. It's kind of fun to watch them fly to the top of the tipi and die from the heat only to fall back on top of the stove (at least in the ST/annex) for a final cooking. Just make sure you do this after you've cooked dinner and don't have an open top pot on the stove.

Ken
02-12-2007, 06:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Songdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the little buggers do get in the tent try stoking the stove up as hot as you can get it. It's kind of fun to watch them fly to the top of the tipi and die from the heat only to fall back on top of the stove (at least in the ST/annex) for a final cooking.</div></div>

You should get together with Dave R...he's mentioned that form of amusement a time or two... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Mags
03-25-2007, 06:56 PM
I would also be in for either a ParaTipi with port in the door or a SuperTarp with attached annex with port. ParaTipi with port in the door! Yeah sounds good.

MtGoat
03-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Mags, how ya gonna get in and out /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ? I have been trying to figure out how to put a stove pipe out the side of a canvas range tepee....don't want to get the stove too close to the sides! Would be even more important with a nylon tent.

Pat

Dave R.
03-26-2007, 07:28 AM
yeah Songdog...its great entertainment...My theory is that they dessicate up there then fall to a crispy death. I call it the Kifaru Bug Zapper!

Dave

seadug
03-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Any thoughts on putting the stove further back? I don't know if the clearances would work by the stove. Seems like the heat would flow towards the front while leaving the biggest area open for sleeping etc.