PDA

View Full Version : Ruger .44 Mag Carbine Accuracy

Highlander01
12-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Hey Guys I could use your expertise!

I have an older Ruger 44 Auto Carbine that shoots all over the place. Does any one have an idea of how to make this carbine settle down and shoot straight! I tried to bed the rear of the receiver and the barrel just under the forward barrel band but I haven't had time to re-test it...Got any ideas guys?

Thanks,
Derek

GJZ
12-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Highlander01,

What ammo are you using?

Is the barrel fouled, is there any damage to the muzzle/crown?

If not, I'm thinking, chamber troat and/or twist rate. -Try different ammo....

Greg

Highlander01
12-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Hey Greg,

I was using 300 and 185 grain ammo, I have since purchased 250 Gr. Winchester Partition but I have not yet given them a try. This was a used gun so, I'm going to give the bore a good scrubing with J&B Compound. I always wanted one of these but not if it only gives 10 inch 100 yard groups!

Hey, I like this site!

Thanks,
Derek

bobmn
12-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Derek: While the Ruger 44 semiauto is a reliable, lightweight handy carbine, they are not known for their accuracy. 4-5" groups at 100 yards are the norm. 300 grain and 185 grain bullets are well outside the normal range for 44 mag so I believe your groups will tighten up if you stick with 240-250 grain 44 bullets. Incidentally, it is not the weight of the bullet but the length which relates to the twist rate of the barrel. The Greenhill formulae will compute the optimum bullet length for the twist rate of your barrel. Other than insuring that the action screws are tight, the other area of the stock which could be a source of inaccuracy is the metal muzzle band at the fore-end. After removing it, ream, file or slightly grind the barrel portion so it is a sliding fit on the barrel. When you fire the rifle and the barrel heats up, the slight interference fit will not shift the point of impact as much as if it were tightly fitted. Your bedding pad (make sure it is a pad and does not go over the top edge or sides of the barrel) at the forearm probably exsacerbated this effect. Ruger barrels, especially the early ones were outside sourced from Wilson (Ruger now makes them in house) and are a hit or miss proposition regarding quality. Your JB bore cleaning should help.

GJZ
12-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Highlander01, Welcome to the MB....

Yes, this is a first class site, including the members!

300-185 grain is quite an extreme, somewhere in the middle like 250 grain might improve performance. Try shooting a variety and look for a pattern. Reloading might enhance the results. I have a similar rifle in 9MM, by Marlin. I haven't shot it in a long time, from what I remember I thought it shot o.k.
I'm not sure how much you want to invest, you might be able to rebarrel your rifle with a better grade, high quality barrel than it came with from the factory.

GJZ
12-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Derek, I agree with Bobmn about the bullet lenght which will go hand in hand with chamber throat lenght.
Also, try shooting a variety of bullet weights/lenghts at different ranges to see if you can get the bullet to stabilize.
Look for patterns in your groups. Have fun!

Keep us informed....

Highlander01
12-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I bedded the front of the barrel for two reasons; The first, is that the front barrel band holds the barrel into the stock by pressure on a few sloppy or iffy points along the barrel. I thought that a more uniform fit might dampen the variable harmonics of the barrel due to this poor fit. Second, since the barrel really isn't free floating, I thought I'd just clean up the fit. I can always go back and relieve the barrel again but if I do this, the barrel will rise out of the stock on recoil. The second point of attachment is at the rear of the receiver through the pistol grip of the stock. Since I had a little epoxy left over, I seated this recoil point a little better as well. In any case, I picked up a few boxes of Winchester 250 Partition Ammo which hopefully will help as well.

This is going to be my up close and personal pig and deer rifle....I'll let you guys know how things turn out but as of right now, my S&W .44 Mountain Pistol shoots better.

Thanks for the advice...the more the better!

Derek