PDA

View Full Version : Strider knives..

05-24-2005, 05:31 AM
I'm a big fan of Strider knives but don't see them mentioned on here. Currently own the Smf, Sng, Pt, BT-SS, HT, Msc axe.
Anyone else using em? What's you're favorite model and why?

Res.

BoulderTroll
05-24-2005, 09:26 AM
I don't own any of them...I have a hard time convincing myself to buy a knife for only a little less than I'd spend on a Glock. But I sure wouldn't mind owning a Model MT Mod 10 /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif . That 5" blade seems ideal. I've never been a fan of huge knives.

copper
05-24-2005, 12:46 PM
For that kind of money, take a good look at tops knives. They aren't cheap either, but a good bang for the buck, I think.

USMA84DAB
05-24-2005, 01:31 PM
I have custody of a Buck Strider - very nice looking - would assume it is tough as you could get being something like 1/4" thick, but is it worth the cost vs. a CRKT and (fill in the blank)?

If is was going to bet my life on it in combat, would be a great deal easier to lay out the cash.

USMA84DAB

Lone Piper
05-25-2005, 04:27 AM
Resistor, I'm with you. Got a bunch of Strider fixed and folders. Love their blades. Stout as hell and reliable. I have a GB, AR, WB Mod 10, BT, DB, WP spearpoint, and an EBT on my safariland 6004 holster. Also have a Buck Strider Solution and the folder. All great knives.

05-25-2005, 06:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Lone Piper:
Resistor, I'm with you. Got a bunch of Strider fixed and folders. Love their blades. Stout as hell and reliable. I have a GB, AR, WB Mod 10, BT, DB, WP spearpoint, and an EBT on my safariland 6004 holster. Also have a Buck Strider Solution and the folder. All great knives. </div></div>Nice Strider collection Lone Piper!
Excellent blades. They are expensive but hey, so are Kifaru packs. Personally I think they are both worth it.

Res.

Lone Piper
05-25-2005, 11:56 PM
No doubt. I learned a long time ago that quality gear is worth the price, especially when your life may depend on it. Striders and Kifaru packs really are an addiction. Good thread Resistor.

Sigo
05-26-2005, 02:28 AM
I've got a BT, AR, HT, and an MT and WB mod 10 on the way. When people ask me why I pay so much for a knife, I say the quality and the peace of mind knowing that this knife will not fail me. It is a similar situation with Kifaru packs. Most cannot understand why I would pay so much. Same thing; Quality. I like knowing that a product will not fail and that the company stands behind their product 100%. All that and its an addiction too. I love Strider's just as I love Kifaru's. I just want to own more because they are the top of their line and the designs are so damn cool.

05-26-2005, 06:24 AM
Lone Piper,

You appear to prefer the tanto blades. What is it you prefer about them? I ask because I'm currently giving serious consideration to the DB or the SA and can't quite nail it down yet.

Res.

Mind's eye
05-26-2005, 07:45 AM
I don't own one but to kinda answer Reistors question (as I toiled over this choice a while back before realising I didn't really need a new knife ^_^);

One of the main advantages of the Tanto blade shape is tip strength.

That is the blade geometry of the tanto style meets to provide a much more robust / thicker tip for prying etc

That's the main advantage I've heard, though I also hear tell that the angular tip produced is a rather aggressive slicer.

--

As far as I was able to gather when trying to make my choice the SA is better as a general use knife, the DB is better for a fighting knife or a sharpened pry-bar for opening ammo cans etc.

Please bear in mind that I don't own either, though I have whittled a little with an old hollow ground SA (rather than the new full flat grind), but I went through the same choice a while ago (and ended up buying a khukuri instead).

SFC S
05-26-2005, 08:54 AM
I have a number of blades from bayonets to customs made for me by Walter Brend. The combat knife Walter made is fantastic. One of my most trusted is a sawback German bayonet made for WWI. Battle proven. If you don't want to spend a lot, you'd be surprised how nice a Yugo M24 bayonet is. They're heavy in the handle, making them a very fast handling knife.

Lone Piper
05-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Resistor sounds like you have a nice collection as well! - I like the tanto tips for exactly that reason...tip strength. I find that I use my knives in the field for more utility work than anything (oh and cutting open MREs!). The Tanto tip gives you a great prying/puncturing surface. Of course as I write this I have an EB Airwing enroute from Blue Line Gear (spearpoint). I love the DB. Its between the DB and the EBT for my favorite Strider fixed blade. Its a toss up for a folder. I love the GB and AR equally. I've never had my hands on an SA though. Perhaphs someday...

BrooklynBen
05-29-2005, 12:44 AM
I have one of the first Striders made, a little tanto (I forgot the model name years ago). It remains one of my "must have" items when deciding what to pack. I beat the crud out of it and use it in ways that any other knife would be destroyed. I'v zeroing in on a larger Mark 1-A.

I also have a unique prototype Strider hatchet that is really trick.

I have tried and used all sorts of knives, some well known, some not. There may be some knives as good as Strider, but I'm confident that there isn't anything better.

I have found them worth every penney of their cost.

gruntinhusaybah
06-08-2005, 10:20 AM
i own the my mod 10 and its the best knife purchase ive ever made, ive owned ka-bar, the chris reeve yarbrough(green beret) and a few other pricey knives, the strider is by far the best knife, i love it

wookie
06-08-2005, 11:58 AM
i own a strider MT scout, a mark1, smf, old style wp, mfs and a thin Slcc.
i like them very much and my favorites are the SMF and the MFS.
because there not very big but very useble
wookie

RayDog
06-21-2005, 09:38 PM
SMF rides in my pocket for EDC. I've never seen a better folder. It feels like a fixed blade when open

Dutch-
06-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Strider knives!? Hey I have heard of them! Verrrrry nice blades. I think I might have one or two or 26.

I also have buddies who think I am nuts for having as much Kifaru stuff as I do. They don't get it. Similary, they don't get the knife thing either.

Pains my ass this much. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I love it all and can't get enough. If it feels good, do it.

Thanks!
Dutch

Triple Threat Tactical
06-28-2005, 10:27 AM
Whatz Up Fellows:

I'm a little late to the party but a big time specialty tool admirer, owner &amp; reseller. Currently, I'm an authorized dealer for Strider, Mission, Tops, CRKT, Ontario, Buck, SOG, Surefire Edged Tools, Atwood Custom Knives &amp; Tools &amp; C. Reeves to name a few.

each knife serves a particular purpose under a certain circumstance. I believe that like a car, one knife will not serve the needs of many. Nonetheless, these are well made tools.

Now if your talking about which knife in its own right if just BADASS! Nothing beats Strider! Gimmie a Duane custom tonto blade finish Bobwire art!

Pappy
07-24-2005, 01:25 PM
for a nice folder I love my William W. Harsey (plus he's local /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif ) )designed Lone Wolf Knives T2. I was also a little nessitant to folders having trashed my share of them, granted they don't take the place of a fixed blade. But the T2 is one of the strongest folders I've seen or used.

I've seen some Striders, nice units. Once a year Eugene has a knive show, billed as the largest in the nation... pretty damn big, and vendors from all over the world and US so I'm bless or cursed to get to touch and feel a lot of nice knifes. Haven't sprung for a Strider yet... tempeted many times. For plain trashablity and hold up I've got some Cold Steel knives and they serve me ok. Friend of mine had custom knife made by Wayne Goddard, sweet knife but $700 USD.... and the worse part is he accidently tossed it in the trash one day; we trashed his house for days looking for it then gave up. Some transiant / canner probably came across it in the trash, lucky B@#$!^&amp;.....

BoulderTroll
08-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Well, I'm the proud new owner of a Strider SA-L (long), that I purchased from the folks at Plazacutlery.com. I can recommend them...their service was great and the product as advertised. This is the first Strider I've owned and I'm in love with it! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif It's a good thing that plazacutlery didn't have any MT Mod 10 sniper's in stock because I wouldn't have been able to decide which of the two to buy...that one is definitely down the road.

A question for you guys who have purchased the consealable back-up Striders. Mine came with a kydex sheath with a belt attachement that looks like the ones on Blade-tec holsters and pouches. I can't stand that clip (it sticks way out from your body). On Strider's website it says their small knives come with a sheath for IWB carry, but I see no way of doing it with my sheath. Any suggestions?

Lone Piper
08-31-2005, 08:27 AM
Check out TAD Gear, new ARs and GBs rolling out with tritium thumb studs and a more comfortable contoured handle. Awesome blades!

Texas JTAC
02-11-2010, 07:52 AM
If your looking for a true hard use tool that will never fail, look no further than RMJ Tactical, the Shrike is awesome!

Exploriment
02-11-2010, 08:28 AM
If your looking for a true hard use tool that will never fail, look no further than RMJ Tactical, the Shrike is awesome!

Yíknow dude...

Iím not sure if itís good form on any forum for your first post to be a revival of a five year old thread, where instead of adding something useful to the discussion, you pimp someoneís stuff, stuff which is totally unrelated to the original subject.

Minh-Tam
02-14-2010, 03:36 AM
I like STRIDER knives, got a couple of them...
Sold nearly all of my other stuff to gather more STRIDERs... like I did with the pack.

Sold all my other packs to get more KIFARUs...

millem23
02-16-2010, 02:12 PM
I've had my eye on a Strider folder for awhile now...but every time I look at the price I think, damn, another Kifaru pack would be a better use of my $$$!