PDA

View Full Version : roof tar on Zulu pack

medic16
02-08-2005, 06:33 AM
Hey guys,
I am trying to figure out how to remove roofing tar from my zulu pack. Here is the story. I was staying at a government building in our sector here in Iraq. As some of you guys know the summer's here reach in the 130's and I guess the tar melted and leaked thru the roof and got on my pack. I have already tried simple green and scrub brushes. The only thing I can think of is automotive bug and tar remover but I am not sure if it is safe on the pack material. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

TJ
02-08-2005, 07:11 AM
Medic16,

Probably NOT what you want to hear, but if it were me, I'd get as much of the crap off and then smear in some dirt. That'd probably get rid of the stickiness and would blend in with your environment decently, I'd guess. Maybe there's a roofer here who has a better idea. Good luck man. Stay safe.

TJ

BrooklynBen
02-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Medic,
I have no idea what is in auto bug remover. But here are some things that have worked for me.

For a situation like yours, I would try a waterless hand cleaner that is also water soluable.

I have used this stuff on everything and it won't hurt your pack at all.

Make sure the tar is as warm as you can get it without hurting your pack. Smear the hand cleaner on and work it (in a circle) until you see it getting dark with disolved tar. Then soak up as much of the darkened hand cleaner as you can with a clean rag or paper towels.

Keep repeating this method until you can't get much more out and then wash (by hand) the area until you have most of the hand cleaner out.

If the hand cleaner doesn't cut it. Kerosene will every time. But test it on a small portion of you pack to make sure it doesn't ruin something. (Afterwards, you will want wash it with hand cleaner or soap to get the smell out. And in your particular case, possibly having highly flammable fluid embedded on your pack!)

If it is a small area and you can't find kerosene, nail polish remover also works well on tar. Same thing though, "test before using" and wash afterwards.

One way or another, you hopefully will be "back in business". If nothing else, you will smell pretty for a while!

Thank you for your sevice Medic. It has been my honor to try and help you.

Ben

medic16
02-08-2005, 07:42 PM
BrooklynBen,
I happen to have some simple green waterless hand gel lying around. I will try what you sugeested and hopefully some of it comes out.
I was also thinking maybe 200 proof ethyl alcohol. I have a few bottles lying around and think it might work also. Thanks for the help.

Dutch-
02-08-2005, 08:35 PM
I have used No. 7 Bug and Tar Remover on many "relatively sensitive" surfaces including automotive fabric, cordura, clearcoat, lexan, and others with great results.

Not ALL Bug and Tar Removers are of equal caliber however. I have tried several and found that most are similar, but No. 7 works the best in my opinion. It is available in either a plastic pour-bottle or standard-type spray can. The cans are both black and white in color.

As always, test it in a conspicuous location to begin with to make sure you don't get poor results.

I have found that if I am worried about the results, I will usually start mellow and feather out the area in a gentle, circular motion. When the area begins to improve to my liking, I will then counter-act the area with a mild, soapy solution to neutralize, just in case.

Hope this helps! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Thanks!
Cris

BrooklynBen
02-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Medic,
Let us know how it goes.

Ben

Ed T
02-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Medic,

You might try Goo-Be-Gone. It's a mostly citrus based cleaner that I have found to work well on most everything. It does have some petrolem in it so I would wash well after with mild soap and water. Should be able to find it at any hardware store.

Ed T

jmellis
02-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Medic,
I would imagine the "local" PX is kind of short on Goo Gone or Simple Green or most anything else. Luckily for you I'm just across the continents in Germany. Get me an APO address and what you need and I'll get it in the mail next week.......

John

T_Pearce
02-11-2005, 04:15 PM
WD-40, Then soap and water.
T

anthracitic
02-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Gasoline, kerosene, jet fuel. Carbuerator spray cleaner will work as well. What is in the fibers will have to be dissolved. Only solvents will put it in solution.