PDA

View Full Version : long pocket and back pouch capacity - illustrated

militarymoron
01-31-2003, 10:30 PM
hey all,

some people have asked me about the volume/capacity of the long pocket and back pouch so i decided to illustrate it using almost universally-known items: GI 1-qt canteens. the long pocket holds four and the back pouch holds six(!).

pics halfway down the page showing how i oriented them inside the pouches:

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/kifaru/kifaru.html

hope this helps answer some of your questions.

cheers,
MM

Mel
02-01-2003, 01:51 PM
MM,

Very nice illustration. It really shows the extra capacity you can achieve by mounting these pockets. Thank you.

Mel

militarymoron
02-07-2003, 01:57 PM
hey all,

just added a couple of new pics (same link as above) showing more examples of what you can fit in the long pocket and back pouch. scroll down to the middle of the page.

cheers,
MM

armsdealer
06-17-2003, 01:30 PM
Great article; it was integral in me deciding on the Marauder. One question: does Kifaru provide the bandoleer strap you have in one of the pictures, or did you get that somewhere else? Does it come in Coyote Brown? I'm looking for a way to carry a detached long/back pouch.

Thanks.

militarymoron
06-17-2003, 03:46 PM
armsdealer,
the strap is part of the bandoleer kit - i ordered it seperately. i'm sure you can get it in any colour offered by kifaru.
cheers,
MM

dvc308
06-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Just a followup to the bandoleer strap question: did you need to get any additional hardware in order to attach the strap to the long pocket? Like the female clip attached to the pocket itself. And if so, did you get it from Kifaru too?

P.S. MM, thanks so much from me as well, for posting those pics! My order for a CB Pointman is in the queue, lots of it thx to your pix!

militarymoron
06-17-2003, 10:06 PM
dvc308,
i'm sure the hardware came with the bandoleer strap. i've switched stuff around so much i don't recall where some buckles originally came from. just mention it if ordering to make sure. i believe it came with a set of buckles on each end (male, and a female quik-attach buckle). you might also want to add a tri-glide on each side of the strap to contain the loose end.
i really like using the long pocket as a 'man-purse' :p as it hold quite a bit, and conforms to my body - 'wrapping' around my waist. it goes everywhere with me on trips as u can see (username and password are both 'mm' as usual to view pic) -
me and my man purse (http://www.militarymorons.com/misc/img/molle.jpg)

you can also add a waist strap for more security if you choose.

thanks for the kind words - i'm glad u found the pics useful!
cheers,
MM

Burt Gummer
06-19-2003, 06:14 AM
Oh yes, Militarymoron's website has been very helpful to me when I have money to burn. I have based many of my new purchases off of the information in his website.

Moloch38
09-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Yeah I am going to have to second that. Many of the purchases that I have made have been because of the rock solid advice and shameless promotion through awesome photography, field tested advice, and experience by guys like MM and other knowledgeable indivduals found on the Lightfighter forum.

MM- It looks like you found an upgrade to the original "Man purse" the 2-quart with OD carry strap. Fullfilling all your man carrying needs in a tactical multi-purpose unit, providing both storage and hydration capabilities, all while keeping your high quality H20 nice and cold.

eggroll
09-10-2003, 11:55 AM
FWIW you can ask for additional matching hardware/webbing, I am sure the good folks at Kifaru will be able to hook you up. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

egg

militarymoron
09-13-2003, 10:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Moloch38:

MM- It looks like you found an upgrade to the original "Man purse" the 2-quart with OD carry strap. Fullfilling all your man carrying needs in a tactical multi-purpose unit, providing both storage and hydration capabilities, all while keeping your high quality H20 nice and cold.</div></div>moloch, glad to see u made it over here /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
as for man-purses, i've been through a lot of them, including using gas mask pouches, butt packs with a shoulder strap attached etc. i'm sure you've had your share of them.
my wife has been using my kifaru back pouch with bandoleer strap attached as a lightweight case for her laptop when traveling. it's not bulky, and she can carry other stuff in there on the plane - she loves it.
i saw your question on LF about waterproofing the seams or PALS stitchin - dan on this board (javahed on LF) used something on his - i don't recall what it was. maybe he can chime in if he hasn't on another thread.
cheers!
MM

ibtrdia
09-14-2003, 04:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A full Nikwax treatment after the PALS webbing has been sewn on. The stitching was a area of leakage in bad weather - I Nikwaxed my MMR and the problem was solved. Javahead/Dan </div></div>I've not tried Nixwax as it is not available here but I've used Mcnett Thundershield Silicone water repellant for my umbrella and it doesn't work even after about 4 coatings.

Razor
09-15-2003, 06:35 AM
I think you'll find that anyone that has spent significant time in the woods living out of their ruck will not depend at all on the water repellancy of their ruck to keep the items inside dry. That's why God provided us with large Zip-Loks and waterproof bags.

Moloch38
09-15-2003, 08:58 AM
And to that I say AMEN.

MM - Thanks for the heads up, hey what can I say, you guy made a convert of me, I'll be blowing every penny I get on this great stuff. I'll try out this Nixwax stuff if I can get my hands on it.

Ziplock bags and 100mph tape are God's gift to man, but there is no sense in doing a little reverse engineering to make gear work better for you is you have it, rather than putting up with it.

ibtrdia
09-16-2003, 05:59 AM
Let's not forget trash bags for waterproofing /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif