PDA

View Full Version : Bataan March 2005 Update

Mel
01-18-2005, 11:18 PM
I figured I'd start a new thread and see what the latest word is from everybody. Who is locked in for sure as of now? How's the training going for everyone? I'd like to hear what boots are being used. I just ordered a pair of the new Danner Desert Eagles to try out. I should have them the end of this week, and break them in over the weekend. I'll let you know how they work out after I get some miles on them. What are you all using to carry water: canteens, Nalgenes, bladders, bottles? I've tried them all, and what works best for me, is the water bottles bungied to the shoulder straps, like you see the adventure racers use. It's fast, secure, and easy to use on the move. Last year I saw all the guys with the Camelbak type bladders having a hard time trying to fill them up at the water truck. It looked like a pain in the ass to me, especially if you're in a hurry. Where's everyone staying? We stayed at the Las Cruces Hilton last year, and it was great, so we booked there again this year. Ralston, I'm still up for everyone getting together for some eats the night before. I think it would be good fun.

Mel

Jan
01-19-2005, 02:34 AM
Thumbs up for the water bottles bungeed to the shoulder straps. Works well and is cheap! I used it at Bataan last year and there was no bouncing whatsoever, not even with the big bottles or while running. Looks kinda silly, but oh well. Just get some bungee cord and some bike bottles (i personally prefer the Specialized bottles). Loop bungee under the 1" webbing, one loop for the neck section of the bottle and one on the bottom, perfect. Tie knots and leave excess bungee cord as 'pull handle' Done!

Dan M
01-19-2005, 09:46 AM
I really like my Nalgene 1L and the Kifaru Liter Plus pouch on the pack waist belt. One handed operation super easy. I'm still planning on going.

RalstonS
01-20-2005, 04:13 AM
I'm going to march in Wellco VCL ICBs and use a Camelbak. I'm in the military light category, so uniform and pack issues come into play. I think I will try the water bottles on the shoulder strap next time I hike.

Las Cruces has most of the usual restaurants - Outback, Olive Garden, LOTS of Mexican food...I'll get a more thorough list, we can decide, and I will make reservations when I get a headcount.

AFcomm guy
01-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Last year I did the mil light. I used a 100oz camelback and two canteens on my LBE. I refilled the camelback from the canteens and the canteens I filled from the waterbuffs. Buddy system works great to refill the camelbacks on the move. I wore Danner acadia's and fox river socks. However its looking like I will miss the march this year, have fun guys and remember its uphill both ways.

Moloch38
01-24-2005, 03:27 PM
We are trying to get a group of cadets together for the heavy division as we speak.

Dan M
01-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Mel,
I am planning on being there. Will use my issue Wellco desert boots with OregonAero inserts. For hydration, will probbaly go with 2x1L Nalgenes in Kifari Liter Plus on my EMR waistbelt. Maybe a bladder in the pack. I am in for eats the night before as well.

But first, SHOTSHOW!