PDA

View Full Version : Get some advice?

Tim620
12-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Hey guys,
I've been looking at Kifaru packs for a couple days now and to put it simply...I end up basically drooling every time I look through the packs. The question isn't if I'm gonna get one, it's which one I'm going to get. It's between Pointman, Zulu and Marauder. I'm not looking for anything that needs to haul extreme cold weather gear or seriously heavy loads (ie MMR/EMR). Just something that's simple, tough and rides well with a load for 3 days or so. Anyway, thanks in advance for the advice!

Dan M
12-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Such a common question...almost begs for a web page putting the three packs side by side and listing the advantages each has for its niche. Pointmen has a higher grade (and more costly) suspension, so will generally allow you to carry a heavier load. The Zulu and Marauder have the same suspension, just different volumes and method of loading. Ask yourself how important internal load organization is and if it is important, get the Marauder. The Zulu is a good ruck, I just sold mine so I can buy an EMR, I realized I tend to carry a heavier load and needed the capablity to add the extreme weather gear. Based on your input, I tentatively recommend the Zulu...then later you can buy a Marauder, Scout, or Tailgunner for an assault/patrol pack.

medic16
12-13-2004, 03:55 AM
I would go with a Zulu with what you are looking to do. You can always add a Kifaru pod to carry additional stuff on the outside like a sleeping bag or snivel gear. Also with the addition of a back pouch or E & E pouch mounted on the pack and maybe some side pockets you can always expand the carrying capability. You can also just put the sleeping bag under the lid and just tighten the straps down. I have done this several times and it works well.

Moloch38
12-13-2004, 07:40 AM
Sounds like you are looking for a zulu. Medic 16 has got my thoughts exactly nailed.

Zulu+Pods+E&E=Infinite Happiness

Tim620
12-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Sounds good guys, thanks for the input!