PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help

Medic17
12-10-2004, 12:21 PM
I need a smaller pack to carry 48-72 hours of gear for SAR pack. I am looking at the Zulu, Marauder and Pointman. I think the Pointman is out because I may not be able to get it in the overheads in the airline. I would like it to be streamlined, easy to cary and be very adaptable. Basically a jack of all trades. How do the sizes compair to a medium alice pack? Yup thats what I am using now, hence the upgrade. Would you recomend a top loader or a pannel loader. Thanks All Mike K

Medic17
12-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Also Can the Zulu be accessed from the top and bottom? I will be using a butt back and web gear, so I guess the Pointman is out, correct?

Dan M
12-10-2004, 04:09 PM
The Zulun is top load only. You can use it with web gear an buttpack - even with the Zulu waistbelt if your torso is long enough. Zulu or Marauder is probably your best choices. decision you need to make is do you want the zip down panel loader or the cinch top top loader? Also, do you need/want to use the internal PALs for load management? If you are a medic (I am taking a wild leap base don your screen name) the Marauder is probably it - pretty popular with medics who post here.

Medic17
12-10-2004, 06:11 PM
I use it for my travel clothes, book, hygine items, ect and keep the SAR stuff on stowaway, then swap out. How much bigger is the Zulu from the Pointman? Any side by side pics? Thanks Mike K

ibtrdia
12-11-2004, 05:02 AM
]Medic17[

Here are the pictures by military moron.

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/kifaru/kifaru.html

HTH.

medic16
12-11-2004, 05:04 AM
Medic17-

I currently own a Marauder and a Zulu. I use the Zulu to pack clothes, sleep gear, and hygiene stuff. I use the Marauder as an aid bag. I have taken the Zulu on a plane before and put it in an overhead bin before with no problems. I did not have any outside pockets on my zulu. I think if you start putting pockets on the outside a Zulu like a back pouch or side pockets you might run into problems taking it on board. A friend of mine owns a Marauder with one back pouch and two side pockets on it and he said he had no problems taking that on board with him. The Marauder gives you alot more versatility in doing different set-ups like aid bag, op's, sar, etc. With what you are describing I would go with a Marauder. Hope this helps.

ibtrdia
12-11-2004, 05:28 AM
Ok this is getting weird,

Medic16 to medic17 do you read me over. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

panzertroop
12-11-2004, 06:07 AM
Okay, My vote is for the maurader as well. I am in SAR work and it is the perfect pack for this kind of work. Panel loaders are easier it get supplies out when on a mission. You can open them up and see everything in your pack. I pack a parahootch for my shelter and an emergency bivy sack. The rest of my gear is food, clothing, and medical supplies. Some climbing gear.Also with the new interior pockets coming out soon you will be able to divided up your gear pretty easy. The Maruader makes a great organized rescue pack! If I knew how to post some pics I would or you can email me and I will send you some.

Patrick
12-11-2004, 06:43 AM
Gents--

Just thought I'd answer the question about the Pointman being carry-onable (even tho the discussion has moved on beyond the Pointman). Yes, the Pointman is fine for carry-on.

I'm liking this medic16/medic17 conversation too, Ibtrdia. We have to wonder if these two men have ever met before, in cyberspace or in person.

We are very close on announcing the finished Internal Pockets Program. Panzertroop is correct--they are going to allow excellent interior organization for those of you who need it.

Medic17
12-11-2004, 06:59 AM
17 Is my call number in the city that I work. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif My only concern is that the Marauder will not fit all of the stuff that I need, and I really do not want to go to outside pockets. I like a streamlined pack. I have a CFP-90 when I am out on exteded runs and a medium alice on 24 hour runs. All of my medical gear is on my LBE and LBT Med patrol pack. Most of my bulk is in a extra uniform, rain gear, tarp or bivy, maybe a very light sleeping bag, and a helmet. Eventually I plan to replace both packs. The CFP with a MMR or Pointman and the Alice With a Zulu or Maurader. I had a pannel loader before they are great to work out of however they seem to hold less stuf and seem to be less durable. Sorry about all of the questions its just that the money is tight and I want to buy the right pack once. THanks Mike K

Patrick
12-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Medic17--

Let me just throw this into the mix of choices: cinched up, the Navigator is a carry-on option too.

medic16
12-11-2004, 08:36 AM
My board name comes from the my job as a medic and my unit number 1-6.

Medic17-
I wouldn't worry to much about weight issues with a Marauder because you could easily load the hell out of it and the bag would handle the load no problem with the internal stays and compression straps. I would probably order one of the hip belts to go with it. With the addition of a back pouch and side pouches you will have plenty of room to pack stuff. I didn't realize how big the back pouch was until I had one in hand. I easily packed a pair of running shoes, sandals, and a book and still had room to spare.

Ralph
12-11-2004, 09:55 AM
The exterior pouches don't flop around and fit neatly. Even fully loaded with front and side pockets The Marauder is a neat looking rig, certainly no lumpier than the CFP. I never liked the pockets on the CFP or the Alice for that matter, they never seemed to fit whatever I wanted to put in them.

panzertroop
12-11-2004, 12:50 PM
That's the beauty of pals webbing being able to add and subtract pockets. If you won't add exterior pockets then what is the point in buying a pack covered in pals? As far as durability we are talking about Kifaru the most durable packs on the planet (front loading or other wise).You should really look at all the pocket options you will have with pals bag. Think of getting and EE and using it as a detachable smaller medics bag or the excellent Fatty from Emdom.

medic16
12-12-2004, 05:08 AM
I sencond that on panzertroop's suggestion of getting a E & E pouch. I use my E & E for patrols. I pack a gator neck, gloves, IR chemlights, binoculars, dust rag, leatherman, and my C-mag.
I just received a WideLoad( it is the smaller version of the Fattie WL ), a large shingle, and a grobes glove pouch all from Emdom about two days ago. I am impressed with the quality and thought that went into these products. The layout of the WideLoad was exactly what I was looking for in a med pouch. It is long enough for ET tubes in the inside mesh pocket and has ample amount of PALS on the outside to mount other pouches to create some pretty interesting trauma set-ups.

Medic17
12-12-2004, 05:43 AM
Despite pouplar suggestions, I think I am going to go with the Zulu. I just cant get used to having a pannel loader again. Anyway if I need small stuff I can lash it to the outside. I think I am going to go with the E&E pouch. It would be a good addition. Now I just have to decide on a color. OD or CB. What color is easier to match from other companies and what color has more options? Our uniform pack color is non specific, we have tan BDU's as well as blue shirts. What color looks less military when traveling out of uniform? Thanks All You have been a great help. Mike K

panzertroop
12-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Olive is easier to match but looks the most military to civilians at airports. I like olive shows less dirt.

seb5
12-12-2004, 10:04 AM
And I prefer coyote as it looks more civilian in an airpot and such. At least it used to. Anymore you see lots of coyote, tan, OD, and of course black. Just about any reputable gear maker, whether large or small, production or custom will be able to match either one. Buy what you prefer. I usually buy coyote. My old Navigator, current Marauder and RAID, and ordered but patiently awaiting MMR are coyote. If I eventually order a ZULU I'd have a tough decision as I like the idea of still having an OD pack, in case the powers that be decide to be nazi like in uniform appearance.

Moloch38
12-12-2004, 12:18 PM
A Pointman will indeed fit easily in the overhead bin of the airplanes, The express jets can be a bit more of a squeeze. Especialy when its crowded, you can hear cheers when you click off the E&E bag and throw it up there all in about .5 seconds. It amazes people, especially when you have those outstanding fellow passengers you spend 10 minutes struggling only to have to gate check. Also a Scout fits perfectly under the seat. The E&E when all else fails makes a great carry on.

Medic17
12-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Which company offers the closest match to Kifaru Coyote?

Dan M
12-12-2004, 12:49 PM
I am switching to coyote brown. It goes with the 2 current uniforms I wear, and will match nicely the new ACU pattern, plus, my most likely real world mission destinations are abundant in brown colors. Tactical Tailor pockets are not an excact match, but are very close. geardo.com can make custom pockets/pouches that macth exactly (it is the same material). Concur on the E&E pouch, very veratile and can be stuffed pretty good.
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
Sorry for the typos, pounding away fast before the wife caught me on Kifaru again. She might think I was buying more gear! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Medic17
12-12-2004, 01:39 PM
DMarket...
I could not find a heardo.com on the web is that the correct address? Mike K

ibtrdia
12-12-2004, 02:56 PM
]Patrick[

I was thinking of the same thing, as if they knew each other. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

]Medic17[

http://www.geardo.com/eglalbum/index.html

It is run by our Eggroll.

HTH.

Ryan
12-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Medic17, Where in CT? I grew up in Killingworth.

Medic17
12-13-2004, 01:35 AM
Killingworth? Must be by the shore? I am in Bristol. No I do not know Medic16, 17 Is my call sign and my town number on the CT regional map. IE 17 unit 4. (Bristol Ambulance Number 4). Hey number 16 just saying hi. I figure we better get to know eachother cause with screen names like ours and only one posting we caused quite a stir... Later Mike K

medic16
12-13-2004, 03:33 AM
Medic17-

I couldn't think of any other name for the board except job and unit number. I use the same name for the LightFighter Board. I am just hanging out in Iraq fighting the war on terror. After I finish here I will be going to school for Paramedic and plan to join my local town unit in florida.

Medic17
12-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Medic16 Medics in the states get paid worth poop. Its hard work with little respect you may want to get into PA or Nursing. But if its something you love then do it, burnout is very high. If you want to know more, send me an email mikekrupinski@yahoo.com Be Safe Mike K

medic16
12-14-2004, 05:11 AM
medic17-

Thanks for the chance to shoot some questions to you about paramedic stuff. I plan to work towards a degree in emergency medicine. I am getting quite a bit of trauma experience out here. Also, treating the local people is bit of a problem too with the language barrier and all.
The best part thou is working with my platoon. These guys have gone above and beyond what is expected in helping with casualties. The realize that " Doc " can't be everywhere at once.

Medic17
12-26-2004, 06:06 AM
Well Mrs. Clause was very good to me this year, I got a Zulu. Once again I will be on the boards looking for stuff to slap onto my pack. Thanks All Happy Holidays.