PDA

View Full Version : PARATARP question

Jon
12-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Hey everyone,
Does anyone have a paratarp? Is it strong enough to be used consistently for a my primary shelter? I want it more for a shelter with extra room than anything...better than a solo tent.
Does anyone have one they've used a lot?
Thanks for the info,
Jonathan

Patrick
12-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Hi Jon--

Looks like even tho a lot our guys here use these, nobody is reading right now, and picking up your message. So. In the interest of getting you an answer now, I'll tell you that it is quite tough--perfectly suited for a primary shelter. I doubt any owners will disagree.

rambler_wannabe
12-09-2004, 10:20 AM
I can't speak for the paratarp, but I can say the sil-nylon is a miracle fabric that will take abuse beyond belief for it's weight.

BeaverTrapper
12-09-2004, 10:48 AM
I bought a Parahootch as a gift for my cousin who deploys to Afghanistan soon. I used it and can say that it's the best 11 ounces you can carry. The fabric is strong. The hootch shows excellent attention to detail in construction - much better designed than the average backpacker type silnylon tarp, especially when it comes to reinforcing stress points, etc.

It's flexible in setup. I set it up as a weather proof low hootch, a regular A Frame type hootchthat you can sit up in, and also with one side tied up as sort of a Flying Diamond.

Go for it - you won't be disappointed. If I didn't think it was reliable, I wouldn't have given it to a family member to use in the mountians of Afghanistan. I'm looking forward to getting some pics of it pitched in A-stan in a month or so.

Jon
12-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Patrick, Rambler, Beaver,
Thanks for your replies. I was curious, as it seems to be marketed as an emergency bivouac shelter. Perhaps in the next year or so, I can spring for it?
Thanks again!
Jonathan