PDA

View Full Version : Packing Lists and Loadouts

Big Mac
12-06-2004, 01:49 PM
I know a bunch of us on here are members of other boards as well as this one - but we all have in common one thing - the Kifaru sickness!? (which is a good thing).

I was wondering if anyone would care to share what typical loadouts you carry with yourself to the field - and for how long (3 to 5 days).

What kind of snivel gear/'must haves'/ handy items do you bring, and what makes that item so important.

RalstonS
12-06-2004, 02:49 PM
I'm in Patriot, which isn't exactly high-speed, but here are a few comforts I think can be universal.

Poncho liner. For sleep and or shelter. Takes little space, and can be stuffed in the nooks and crannies in your pack.

Gatorade bottle and powdered mix. I use the bottle over and over. Weighs little when empty, and over 3-5 days won't grow mold. It really motivates you to drink, especially when the water is chemical-tasting.

Small hand sanitizer. E coli/poop diseases/etc are not a sign of hard-coreness.

seb5
12-06-2004, 03:11 PM
For a 3-5 day mini fex in the summer I'll always take a poncho, wiggy's over bag, small mosquito net, sleeping pad, hygiene kit, small 1st aid, change of BDU's, set of t-shirt, socks, and underwear fo each day. If it's going to rain I'll take a small tent instead of the net. I like to have some protien/energy bars, maybe some oatmeal or other instant food as an alternative to MRE's. I always take my canteen cup and stove with fuel. I like my coffee. Usually 2 flashlights. Small saw, knife, and multi tool. I also always grab some 550 cord and bungis. I like a pair of gloves and dew rags. They seem to come in handy. Bug juice. Baby ass wipes. Sunglasses. My load will be around 30lbs. In the winter I add a Wiggy's ultralight, SPEAR system, poly pros, watch cap, and heavier gloves. It will add about 10lbs.

BuckarooMedic
12-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Always have to take my stove top expresso maker, wouldn't be an FTX without it. I use an MSR XGK multi-fuel stove when out in the field.

It's amazing, but my 3-5 day FTX load-out is almost identicle to seb5's. Great minds think alike. I substitue my GI bivy bag for the Wiggys', don't need a tent as I usually sleep in the unit's tents or in a vehicle, but everything else is almost the same. Additionally I take my Marauder/aid-bag, a combat casualty blanket (a thick, mylar space blanket that is OD on one side, helps the Ranger roll in the bivy bag when it gets chilly). Instead of "dew rags" , I pack my shemegh which is more versatile.

All this fits into my Navigator very nicely and makes for a nice load out.

Take care . . .

medic16
12-08-2004, 09:35 AM
I use a Zulu for my missions in Iraq. I pack a mil. sleeping bag. I use the black layer and the bivy cover only now that it is cold here. During the summer I was using a fleece sleeping bag I got from Wally World for 9 bucks. I have a small camp pillow, snivel gear, t-shirts, socks, and underwear. I pack 1 pair of socks, 1 t-shirt, and 1 underwear in a onezip gallon size freezer bag so all I have to do is pull out the bag and I have a change of clothes for the day. I pack an extra set of DCU's. I pack a hygiene kit and a pair of shower sandals. Usually, I pack a paperback book in case I get stuck somewhere and there is nothing to do but wait. I use the Kifaru E & E pouch for daily missions. I pack a set of binoculars, GPS, Leatherman, C Mag, digital camera, gator neck, gloves, and ballistic glasses. I have a Kifaru 2 QT pouch on the outside I use as a blowout kit.

In Germany going to Graf and Hohenfels for training I would add my mini coleman stove with extra fuel can. A snowpeak 700 pot, snowpeak titanium spork, and 1 QT nalgene water bottle.
Also, a small stainless steel surgical bowl I relocated from work to make roman noodles. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif