PDA

View Full Version : Woody's Dutch Ovens

spunky2268
05-24-2006, 05:47 PM
All,

In Cliff Jacobson's "Cooking in the Outdoors", he refers to the Woody's Dutch Ovens made of cast aluminum and designed to be "back packable." Although I doubt having any need to backpack a dutch oven of any size, be it iron or aluminum, the unique size and shape of these ovens intrigued me. I have done extensive internet searches, including e-bay, I've called the phone number listed in the book, and I called information in Hobart, IN, the original home of the manufacturer to no avail. I'd like to have one of both size, if only for their unique utility and nostalgia (but I'll probably use them in my chuck box).

BrooklynBen
05-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Personally, I stay as far away from aluminum as I can. I even go so far as to try and only drink sodas and beers in bottles (even though the cans are supposed to be coated on the inside.)Aluminum poisoning is strongly suspected by some to cause long term neurological damage and a contributor to Alzheimer's, among other things.

Great to cook with however!

Dale Lindsley
05-24-2006, 07:11 PM
spunky; A friend of mine has a "Woddy". I found an address or phone # on-line a few years ago. I'm going to be camping this weekend with Woody and I'll get the info from its lid that I used to run it down last time and see if I can find it again (Woody's Outdoor Cookware Co.,134 South Virginia Street, Hobart, IN 46342 is all I can find on the web now). By the way, it is a great little Dutch oven. Very practical idea. I use a regular shaped Aluminum Dutch oven that I got from Campmoor. It is very light, transfers heat very well, doesn't need to be "seasoned" and can be washed with soap. I highly recommend them if you can't find a Woody. Also, Aluminum has NOT been implicated in Alsheimer's. As I understand it, that scare was triggered by a staining artifact on a diagnostic pathology slide.
Edit: I found an email address for Woody's daughter and have e-mailed her to ask if the ovens are still available.

Ralph
05-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Dale posted while I was writing my reply.

I have the small one, bought from Indiana Camp Supply maybe 20 years ago. Haven't used it in a while. Hefting it (I have no scale ready to hand) I'd say about 4-5 lbs. It packs about 7" x 10" x 5" (There are cast-in legs about 2" high.)

They work well, particularly for baking and slow-cooking like stews and chili. I probably wouldn't want to backpack it, but the canoe does most of the lugging, so I used it there. With other vehicles I would prefer to use the real cast iron version (the one I learned to use as a boy).

ICS was the only place I knew that sold the Woody's ovens and they are out of business, and I haven't seen any trace of the Woody's ovens in years.

Most of the aluminum gear is either coated or anodized now. If you did find one there are a lot of metal shops with facilities for anodizing if you are concerned.

Jury is still out about raw aluminum, but anodizing, particularly hard anodizing makes better gear and eliminates any potential problem, though it does add to the cost.

A lot of this stuff comes and goes, so when I got the oven I also got the grate, leg extensions and cookbook.

From the book, Woody is L.L. Woodruff, 134 South Virginia,Hobart Indiana 46342

That was ca. 1986 so I wouldn't hold out much hope, but you can always try.

Haven't looked at the cookbook in a while, either. I'll post a few of his recipes that look interesting.

BrooklynBen
05-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Spunky - I believe Ralph's statement is quite accurate, most definitely "the jury is still out" with regard to the long term health effects of aluminum. Lots of folks use aluminum and seem fine. However, if you want to find out more for yourself, simply search using the term "aluminum contraindications" in any search engine.

Here are a few examples with their sources.

These are traditional medicine sources. Cooperative and Alternative medicines seem to have much stronger opinions concerning the neurotoxicity of aluminum.
-------------------------------------

"This neurotoxic activity of aluminum raised the concern of whether aluminum intake in healthy individuals could be a contributing factor to such disorders as Alzheimer's disease. Although aluminum has not been ruled out as playing some role in Alzheimer's disease, aluminum accumulation does not appear to occur to any appreciable extent in those with normal renal function who use aluminum-containing antacids. Consequently, it does not appear that dietary intake of aluminum would increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease in the general population. However, this remains a controversial topic."
http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/alu_0020.shtml

"Since the role of aluminum in disease has been identified, more attention has been paid to the element, leading to its recognition in several other processes. For example, among patients with osteomalacia, there has been a closely associated dialysis encephalopathy, which is thought to be caused by aluminum deposition in the brain. Aluminum causes an oxidative stress within brain tissue, leading to the formation of Alzheimer-like neurofibrillary tangles."
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic113.htm

If you take calcium supplements, this might be of interest as well.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query...p;dopt=Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=204265 4&dopt=Abstract)

spunky2268
05-25-2006, 05:49 AM
Ralph, Ben, and Dale,

Thanks for the replies. I kinda think I'm SOL unless I come across one at a flea market or yard sale. If you do find out anything, I'd appreciate the info.

Spunky

Dale Lindsley
05-25-2006, 07:25 AM
This is from Jane Woodruff, Woody's daughter. So keep checking e-Bay.
"Alas, no the oven are no more. I just talked with a gentlemanearlier this week and told him to check e-bay occasionally. My sister and I have both bought one off there."

spunky2268
05-26-2006, 05:23 AM
Dale,

Thanks. There weren't any there when I've checked in the past, but I'm only an occasional e-bay shopper. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Spunky

Rocky1758
02-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Attention Woody's fans:

I have searched high and low to find a woody and finally gave up. So, I am in the process of creating a new aluminum dutch oven similar to the Woody, but with some new features. I am working with a foundry and should have prototypes soon. It will be available this spring. Contact me for more information.

Rocky

Rocky1758
02-10-2007, 04:56 PM
I have searched high and low to find a woody and finally gave up. So, I am in the process of creating a new aluminum dutch oven similar to the Woody, but with some new features. I am working with a foundry and should have prototypes soon. It will be available this spring. Contact me for more information.

Rocky

Rocky1758
02-10-2007, 04:57 PM

Rocky

Cleve
02-10-2007, 05:10 PM
I can't help with finding a Woody but I own and love an aluminum dutch oven made by GSI. The one I have is one of their hard anodized versions and has performed fabulously.

Check out: http://www.gsioutdoors.com/Products/Cookware/HardAnodized/50410.html

Cleve

Ralph
02-10-2007, 05:34 PM
If you are going to do this, consider hard anodizing. Better surface and it eliminates the possibility of aluminum toxicity.

BTW does anyone know of a place that does hard anodizing? I would be interested in getting it done on the Woody oven I have.

spunky2268
02-11-2007, 06:09 AM
Rocky and all,

Wow! Talk about the return of the necropost! I'm glad things like this stay posted so newcomers can chime in and give updated info. I had completely given up on a Woody and was going to go the Banks Fry-Bake route. I wanted a Woody for the nostalgia, uniqueness (is that a real word?) and utility. I will continue my search for a real Woody, but Rocky's idea may have promise, too. Keep us posted and thanks to all for their replies.

Michael Aos
02-11-2007, 03:04 PM
I've got the GSI 2qt. Weighs ~3.6lbs.

Looking at it, I've apparently got the regular aluminum and not the hard-anodized version.

Not sure why. I'd have preferred the hard-anodized.

I wish they made the a 5qt version without the "feet".

Mike

anthracitic
02-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Cut 'em off -simple.