PDA

View Full Version : Zulu as a "guest" pack on an EMR

maskirovka
10-11-2004, 02:44 AM
Ok, I'm sure people will be thinking "do you really think you can carry all that stuff?" and the answer would be no, if the EMR and Zulu were full... But I'd like some opinions on how a slick Zulu might ride on the back of an EMR. The concept would be for use on week-long trips, using the EMR as the bag to carry all the long-term sustainment stuff (shelter, stove, sleeping sytem, rainwear, clothing, most of the food), and the Zulu as a comfortable day pack (water, camera gear, socks, ammo, poncho, emergency stuff). I would NOT be carrying a huge load in either pack, and the EMR would usually be compressed quite a bit. If actually hauling only what is reasonable for me to carry weight-wise (50-60), would this duo be at all sensibile? I notice this combo is not shown on the charts on the website. Is it just too big to ride well?

Moloch38
10-11-2004, 04:57 AM
You can do it sure, but getting it compressed in closer to your back is an issure. The biggest issue is center of gravity. The farther you put it out there the more your center of gravity gets off, fatiging you faster and making the pack more difficult to hump. If it were me I'd compress as much a possible and lash it to the top, or just something to keep it close. I do the Pointman Scout combo all the time and it is great. As long as you don't overdue either I think you ought to be ok.

-Any one else?

Mel
10-11-2004, 08:44 AM
Hey Mask, check out the Zulu page on our website, and in the third set of pics down, you'll see a Zulu piggybacked onto my MMR. The Zulu was lightly loaded and didn't seem to upset the balance at all when worn in this configuration.

Mel

maskirovka
10-13-2004, 08:16 AM
Ah, that IS an MMR and Zulu. Thanks for the advice. I'm sure that the key will be keeping the load in the zulu either minimal or light, and distributing so that it can be compressed tight to the host. I'm not a fan of huge loads, I just want to have the versatility of the EMR (and the Zulu). There may be a better pack to piggy on an EMR, but the Zulu I don't think can be beat for an all-around medium pack, so I couldn't pass on it. If I keep things sane, I think I can make it work. 2 packs will be quite enough for awhile. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif