PDA

View Full Version : No Floor??

mathewsbow1
05-16-2005, 08:18 PM
As you can all probably tell I've never camped for an extended period of time without a tent. What I mean by extended period of time is more than one night in the same location. So my question is how do you keep your floor from becoming an Elk wallow when camping for multiple nights during an extended rain storm or in the snow. But I must admit I'm becoming addicted and tempted to try this Tipi thing. The most appealing thing is the Paratipi and stove combo that weights less than 6lbs combined.

Thanks and good hunting!!
jt

Woods Walker
05-16-2005, 08:49 PM
I own a paratipi and stove. I have camped for multiple days during winter and was very happy that I didnít have to deal with a floor. I will give you a few good reasons why floors suck!

1. Wood stove would burn the floor. I could stop there but I have more reasons

2. I am dryer with out the floor. Water does not get trapped on the floor. The snow just melts and dries up around the stove. Thatís all.

3. I can get into my tent with my boots on.

4. I donít worry about the floor getting damaged.

5. The shelter weights much less.

In general the ground dries out fast. That could have something to do with the plus 100 degree temps above the out side in my paratipi. Believe it. You can get that thing clear over 100 above the outside. I can push the thing past 150 if the outside is 20. I have done this. I set up my tipi over grass or snow or forest litter. Like all tents I avoid mud. Trust me on this. You will be much dryer and happier with out a floor. I use a large closed cell ground pad to put my bag on. I gave up on the ground sheet. It just traps water and is one more thing I donít have to carry.

Sgathak
05-16-2005, 11:26 PM
One important thing when pitching a floorles tent is site placement. You dont have the luxury of just plopping down. You need to pick an area thats a high point, at least higher relative to immediate terrain. Two or three inches above the rest of the local area is plenty.

This keeps water from pooling underneith you, and works for both rain and melt water.

Pikia
05-17-2005, 05:46 AM
I don't own a tipi, but another advantage I see is: you don't need the perfect spot, without rock or little stub, that will rip your floor. You could even have a three stub in the tipi and use it as a small table.

Pikia

copper
05-17-2005, 05:50 AM
Also with a floorless rig, in winter you can carve out the area to set up your sleeping bag. Sort of like a "snow craftmatic".
Sgathak is correct on site selection being important.

razorsharp
05-17-2005, 09:43 AM
I agree with everything said. I just got back from several days of solid rain on hard ground. When I left there was a small pond forming next to my tipi. Another day and I would have had to move.
I noticed at one point that there were some small streams developing inside the tipi. Upon further examination I found that the majority of that water came from that rain water that slid down the outside of the tipi and hit the ground, on that slightly uphill side of the tipi. So I just dug a shallow trench just inside the bottom edge of the tipi, on that uphill side, just around the perimeter far enough so that the streams cleared my gear. Then I go outside and bring the trench out to drain away from the tipi--basically a gutter.

If there is such a thing as a waterproof floor in a tent then, yes, at times like these it would save you ten minutes of work. But then you would have the drawbacks that a floor brings. If a floor made a huge difference during those rainy trips then I would say buy a tipi and make a waterproof floor for it and take it along when you think you'd need it.

Woods Walker
05-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Razor the problem with waterproof floors is that they are waterproof. Any water you bring in stays in. Any condensation would just drip on the floor and build up. But I don't think any of this would be a problem. After the floor burns up and the tipi goes in a silicon flash fire the ventilation would be great. I suppose that someone could cut a section out for the stove. But I bet the earth floor would be the only dry spot in the tipi. Once I went car camping with some friends at Lake George NY. I tarped it and my buddies used big Coleman circus tents. We had some very strong rain that first night. Everyone told me I was crazy for sleeping under a tarp. The next morning they got soaked. The waterproof floor screwed the pooch on them and the water that got in (and it always seems to get in) formed little ponds. I stayed dry because after the storm had past the ground sucked up the water and my ventilation was better. The only tent I have with a floor is my USMC tent. That I only use car camping with women.

You are right, the downsides of a floor are great.