PDA

View Full Version : I don't care if the Pope emails me

imported_Randy
05-12-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm not giving up my Kifaru gear that I have grown to love. And you must be smoking something funny if you think I'm gonna change my opinion of a guy that I have done business with, spoken to both publicly and privately over the last few years and grown to respect and admire cause I get an email from some crackpot!

However due to the nature of Kifaru gear and how well it is constructed, it doesn't need replacing very often. Well other than meat baggies for me, cause I like to haul scrap metal in them /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Kifaru is by and large fairly dependent upon NEW customers. So I can see how an unwarranted negative email campaign could be a bit bothersome to someone who sells gear for a living.

So here's my deal, if you feel it is warranted Patrick I would be happy to compose these same thought in an email and forward them to everyone on my list. I have a feeling I might not be the only one here that feels that way either.

Dear Friend, you are on my email address list because we have had need to communicate or we share something in common. Perhaps one of the things that we share in common is a love for the outdoors. If you love truth and the outdoors I feel it was only fair to bring this to your attention.

Recently I was informed of an email smear campaign against a company I have done business with, the folks that go by the name Kifaru. I can tell you I have used their products and they are outstanding! I have lived in a tent for 4-6 weeks at a time in the Alaskan Bush for the last ten years or so, I could have been living in a lot more comfort if I had known about Kifaru tipis and ultralight compactable stoves a long time ago. The space to weight ratio is unbelieveable and being warm is such a wonderful thing! I have many other pieces of gear that Kifaru makes and am very happy with all of them. The only thing that makes me happier than their gear is the customer service you receive when you purchase their gear.

Customer service has to start somewhere and at Kifaru it starts at the top. I have spoken with the owner of Kifaru, Patrick Smith, several times by phone, email and on the forums that are available at their website ( a great source of collective knowledge and sometimes just entertainment). Patrick is a serious backpack hunter and gear innovator, but most important to me he is a true gentleman. I like to do business with people that I can admire, that make good gear and truly care about your satisfaction with their gear after the sale.

If you are interested in gear to make your outdoor experience more enjoyable I encourage you to visit their website at <a href="http://www.kifaru.net," target="_blank">http://www.kifaru.net (http://www.kifaru.net,),</a> I think you will find it enlightening if you do. Good things need to be shared, I'm happy to share my Kifaru experience with you and hope you will check them out and share with others.

I'm not receiving any compensation for this endorsement of Kifaru in any way shape or form, I just don't like to see good people and good companies disparaged by small people, it's just not right. My hope is that is something we have in common as well. Thanks for your time, talk to you soon. Randy

Just say the word brudda Patrick and all my contacts get zapped. Sometimes life hands you lemons and sometimes you gotta gather a few friends, squeeze a bit, and make some lemonade. Email can work both ways for good and bad.

elmbow
05-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Randy, what is this all about? What email campaign?

Sgathak
05-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Elmbow, read the latest thread Re: the Kifaru Special Sleeping bag.

Ralph
05-13-2005, 03:52 AM
I echo Randy's sentiment.

William Clunie
05-13-2005, 05:56 AM
DIDDO THAT!
William Clunie

Sundles
05-13-2005, 06:54 AM
Patrick,

Randy has a great idea here.

My email list is from hunters/outdoorsmen that buy very expensive ammo. These customers are obviously willing to pay for quality. They are exactly the same customer base/type you have.

If you would like, I will send an email similar to Randys to my entire email list. First you'll have to teach me how to email to everyone on my list, cause Im not much of a computer geek, but consider it done if you like. Call or PM me if you need to. I'm pretty sure my customers will spend some of their hard earned money on your excellent products. I'm personally hooked on your stuff because of the quality.

Sundles

Patrick
05-13-2005, 07:28 AM
WOW!!!!

Imagine my surprise on reading Randy's out-of-the-blue offer (!), then Tim's!!!! Knock me over with a feather, guys. I'm speechless.

Well, sure guys! Have at it. I think it would be great to see who shows up on our MB here as a result of you guys doing this--I imagine some real fine fellows (maybe a little wierd from Randy's list of pals, but what the heck!). Kidding aside, I mean it about the new campers here on the Board, and so if y'all do this don't forget to invite 'em here for me.

Tim, I've no clue how to do this thing either. How's about I have Maggie phone you?

What a wonderful, full world it is when a man is blessed with friends like this. God is soooo good to me!

Sundles
05-13-2005, 07:39 AM
Patrick,

Have maggie call me and we'll get it figured out. I'm willing to bet that my list of customers will bring several hundred new customers to you over time. If your gear wasnt real good stuff, I wouldnt offer.

Been bear hunting (right around here) for the last three weeks. I've seen several bear and a first time bear hunter I guided killed a nice one a couuple weeks back, but the point to all this is, every time I put on my "late Season" pack for a day in the mountains, I'm thankfull to have such a comfortable pack that never fatigues my neck or shoulders. You already know how extensively I've used your tipis for the last 13 to 14 years.

snowdevil
05-13-2005, 07:42 AM
hi Tim - I'll try and get hold of you later today or over the weekend about this - gotta run now. Thanks for going to bat! Maggie.

Sawtooth
05-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Patrick,

I can do the same for you. I have an extensive (read...exhaustive) list, and I'm sure you are aware of the power of the Internet. With your permission, of course.

Another interesting note...I attempted to email Mr. W's company last night to have them take me off their "newsletter" mailing list (saves them postage, keeps his senseless rantings out of my mailbox). The company's email is not working. No surprise, huh?

Levi
05-13-2005, 08:42 AM
Sawtooth, excellent idea. If my email bounces back I'll be sure to phone his office.

Levi

elmbow
05-13-2005, 09:21 AM
As most of you know, the Internet provides three basic services: Electronic mail between individuals, open discussion forums (newsgroups, message boards) on every subject imaginable, and the ability to publish "web pages" and file libraries for others to see. To many itís a personal soapbox, to others itís a refuge from the law and for others itís just the opportunity to play a video game. Most people tend to think of the Internet as free or at worst, a monthly fee to an ISP but there are many hidden costs and Iím grateful to Patrick for subsidizing one of the finest MBís on the Internet. Given what little Internet time I have, Iíve learned to pick carefully the sites I spend my time on. The Kifaru MB is far and away peopled with the finest folks Iíve ever run across on a MB, and yes, I believe character can be discerned from a personís MB postings. I have always believed in developing personal relationships, as much as possible, with the people I do business with. Iíve never met Patrick in person, nor have I purchased any of his products, (except several older Mountainsmith packs.) Iíve never met Mr. W nor purchased any of his products either. Itís a no brainer whose products I will buy next time Iím in the market. The world is in sore need of integrity and while Mr. W may unjustly profit at Patrickís expense, heís losing something far more important than wealth, heís losing his integrity and his honor. Respect isnít claimed, itís earned and as much as itís possible to do over the Internet, Iíve learned to respect many of you and would be honored to meet you in person. In fact, I had really hoped to drive over to the Rondy this year but other things took precedence. Samuel Johnson made an interesting observation when he wrote: ďÖKnowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful.Ē I think Mr. W is a good example of that.

Sgathak
05-13-2005, 09:47 AM
I dont maintain a list of email contacts, but I am fairly computer literate and would be willing to walk anyone through the process of sending emails to their entire database.

Woodland Girl
05-13-2005, 10:28 AM
I must say, men, I have goosebumbs reading your posts of support. Having had the opportunity to meet Patrick at the East Coast Rhody, know that what you read and hear and "experience" through his company are all REAL.

It's so refreshing to see good win over evil. As one member mentioned, there is far too much arrogance in the world today, it takes folks like ourselves to turn the tide.

From the looks of things... it's happening as we write. Bravo to all the fine men and women who travel this board. As we have discovered, those who are less than "fine" are no longer part of this realm.

It is as it should be! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Woodland Girl
05-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Another P.S.

Somewhere I saw that someone stated that Kifaru depends upon New Customers. Even new to this forum, I can see that nothing could be further from the truth. It seems to me, the more you have, the more you need/want!

I started with the pullout bags, all 4 in black mesh and ever since they arrived, I've added 3 items to my wish list!

Once I catch up to understanding what everyone is talking about with regard to the sleeping systems, I am sure, I'll be feeling the need to upgrade my current bag! Can one ever feel truly satisfied that they have all that they need/want?

majormarvy
05-13-2005, 10:40 AM
One can certainly try, WG, one can certainly try.

BrooklynBen
05-13-2005, 12:56 PM
DITTO Randy, Patrick, et.al.

Funny, I originally didn't read the "bag" discussion because from prior experience I KNEW it was going to another bashing contest. Now evidently I missed one of our more 'expressive' members finally 'wigging out'. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Oh well, what a shame.

But from all I've read here in the forum and from my personal dealings with Kifaru, I can't think of a single reason why either Kifaru or Patrick should have to defend themselves for anything. From what I've been able to read, Patrick did what ultimately had to be done and did it with class. Thank you Patrick.

RANDY, SUNDLES, SAWTOOTH, SGATAK, and others; THANK YOU! I will do what I can on other forums, but we need you guys to keep us up-to-date on what is happening (if anything) regarding any smear campaigns. (Any such 'campaign' would obviously be a grievous wrong.)

Thanks guys

Woods Walker
05-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Still I would like to know what this is all about. What emails? I do however respectfully disagree with one statement

ďKifaru is by and large fairly dependent upon NEW customersĒ.

If you have good products people become repeat customers. In the last 6 months my family has purchased.

One Paratipi.
One small stove
Two five foot stovepipes
One 6-man tipi with bug net
One stovepipe for 6-man tipi.

Why? Because if you make good products and stand behind them then people will come back for more.

Another important aspect is Word of mouth. There is no better advertising than that.

DJ
05-13-2005, 05:33 PM
I think Randy meant "new customers" from the standpoint of product durability. There's not the planned senescence as with some manufacturers where they want it to fall apart within a certain time frame so you'll have to come back and buy a replacement. Now, repeat offenders like me with a subconscious goal of buying at least one of everything.....there's no shortage of us.

imported_Randy
05-14-2005, 12:41 AM
Patrick,
Consider it done.

DJ, thanks for splaining man, I was trying to give Patrick a backhanded compliment that his gear lasts, thanks for "getting it".

Now I'll make a liar out of myself and order up some new meat baggies and some more ultralight pullouts. I just keep finding new uses for the danged things. One for airtravel, all of the stuff that is normally pocket carried rides in a pullout until I can escape TSA by arriving at my destination, saves time, and inconvenience for me and the passengers behind me. One in each glove box of each vehicle and boat and snowmachine with a mini possible kit in it. One for batteries, one for para cord, etc. etc.

And what works really slick for me is I have a display from a retail store that they were throwing out that is just a three tiered stand with long bars with an upturned hooked end on them, prolly had neckties or pantyhose (I wear both at all times) when the store sold them. But I can take all of my little kit, put em in a pullout, mark the contents with magic marker and hang em up and have a bunch of stuff ready at hand when I need it that takes up very little room. There's 13 hooks on each tier so as you can see I do need a few more pullouts! You folks might want to keep your eyes open for a clothing store going out of business, it's been a good system for me.

Well I've got emails to send and gear to order, and oh yeah I need to email the Pope back! Randy

Macawber
05-14-2005, 01:35 AM
G'day Patrick
I don't know if it will help but I met the richest man in Australia and a mate of his on my last camping trip. He was trout fishing, and I didn't let on I knew who his personna was. I spoke to him as an outdoorsman about trout, and then he and his friend took interest in the tipi. Well they were interested, and I told them there was a 12 man even. Don't know if it will result in any sales but I am your ambassador downunder.

Gary
05-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Randy
With regards to yout thread title, all I can say is,"Bless you, my son."
I think you've started a good thing.
Gary

imported_Randy
05-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks Gary,

But I'm one fortunate guy, the guy a notch or so above the Pope blesses me regular. The Pope doesn't even know who I am, but his boss does. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif