PDA

View Full Version : Heating a 6-man and sled question.

Woods Walker
05-12-2005, 08:36 PM
I am thinking about getting a 6-man or maybe an 8-man. The question I have is how much harder is heating a 6-man over an 8-man with the same size stove. I can heat my paratipi in minutes to clear over 100. I can imagine that the larger tipi would be harder to heat. Anyone have experience with both? Or experience with heating a six man.

Also does anyone know anything about the Kifaru sleds? I have used jerry-rigged sleds before on winter hikes but have always been disappointed at how easy my sled tipped over and dumped gear. With a good sled I could carry a 6 man or an 8 man and live LARGE.

BrooklynBen
05-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Good questions WW.

May I add to WW's question with; "how much heat difference can a large stove make over a medium stove in either size tent (6 or 8)?

Ed T
05-12-2005, 09:48 PM
The large stove has roughly a 2/3 bigger fire box than a medium, so that will translate to more heat output. In an 8 man, I would recomend a large for temps below zero. A medium will require more stoking and just can't put out as much heat as the large. A large will take an 8 man down to -20 or colder depending on wood and frequency of stoking.

I've no experience with the 6 man but the medium should suffice unless there is to be a lot of sub-zero temps encountered.

Ed T

BrooklynBen
05-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Great stuff Ed T, thank you.

Any tricks to stoking the stove before you go to sleep?

Woods Walker
05-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Looks like I will be able to answer my own questions about the 6-man Tipi. My sister placed an order for a 6-man tipi for her husband. My brother-in-law is a great guy that is into the same sort of things we all like. Camping, hunting, fishing and even has his own bug out pack. I will give him my small stove. I know that Kifaru rates the small stove in the 6-man tipi down to +15 however I will weld a heat exchanger for the stove. My exchanger really increases the heat out put. The exchanger remains cherry red even with just coals in the stove.

Ben,

I toss in large sized chucks of wood and open up a vent before I turn in.

Dale Lindsley
05-13-2005, 03:06 PM
"Any tricks to stoking the stove before you go to sleep?" No need or reason to do so. Just zip up in your sleeping bag and let the stove go out. Safe and easy. The stove wouldn't burn very long on a full stoke anyway and so you need to have a sleeping bag that will keep you warm without the stove.

Shawn
05-13-2005, 03:11 PM
I've got a 6-man and small stove that I've been using in NW MT for the last 1.5 years.

I'd like to have a med stove as well for winter time temps. But it would be nice to have the extra kick of the Med.

The Small Stove will keep the 6-man pretty warm though, if it is 30 out, I can keep it around 80-90 at ground depth with proper loading.

I wouldn't want a small stove for an 8-man if you are going to do real winter camping. Makes for a nice carry package though.

The 6-man is perfect for 2 full size'd people and gear plus dog. I've done 3 in there during winter hunting, not as much room but doable.

Kevin B
05-13-2005, 04:34 PM
I have the 6 and large. Did that for a couple reasons. One, I can make a small fire in a big box but not vice versa. I get more surface space on top for 3 guys cooking and I can use the same stove when I get the 12 man, all I need is a new pipe.

You only need a small fire in the large for the 6 to be way warm. You can use some bigger stuff in it and keep it just kind of rolling along with less stuffing too. Trade off is weight, but I only do 2 or more guy trips in this tent now so.. no issue.

Shawn, I completely agree. The 6 man is the perfect 2 man set up.

Woods Walker
05-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Yea sounds great it would be mostly me and my brother-in-law. Anyone have any Idea about the sleds?

Ed T
05-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Woods Walker,

I have used sleds a lot. Homemade, Mountain Smith and Granite Gear. The quality sleds like the Kifaru (formerly Mountain Smith) and GG are superior to most home made sleds and much more durable as well. In my use, I have found they work very well in rolling terrain. 100 pounds in a sled and you don't even notice. When it's steep, sleds are like a bicycle, slow going up and quick coming down! On sidehills sleds will want to tip if loaded too high. I often will take a larger sled so I can keep the weight low if the terrain has much sidehill.

The ridged traces on a sled both keep it from running you over on the downs and also help to keep it from tipping. I made a Fastpacking sled a couple years back that I used avalanche probe sections shock corded together for the traces. The traces fold down to about 16" for transport. It was a fun project and works well for non-bulky, light loads. It is only about 1/3 the size of the Kfaru Armadillo, but will hold a Para Tipi, stove, bag etc. I wanted something I could pull while running on snowshoes.

For longer outings or sleding loads of meat, I'd recomend the Kifaru Expedition. For short weekend type trips the Armadillo.

Probably didn;t tell you anything you didn't already know. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Ed T

Woods Walker
05-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks Ed T. Next winter I will get a better sled. I carry much more in winter and taking the load off my back will be much better.

12 Man
05-16-2005, 07:12 AM
Hey woods walker Can you plse explain the heat exchanger to me.You have one of these on a Kifaru stove already?Thanks.

Woods Walker
05-16-2005, 10:21 PM
12 Man..

Check out the thread..

Topic: To Ed T and OP ...stove spark question

The whole thing is there with some pics.

Woods Walker
05-25-2005, 07:39 PM
My brother-in-law's 6-man came in the other day. It didn't feel as heavy as I thought it would. I bet two people could pack it in. Heck I think one person could carry it for a short trip. Man one guy in that thing would be like a grand hotel. I will be camping in it this weekend with any luck. I will post pic of the inside and outside. I know 6-man photo’s have been posted before but there are never enough pics of gear.

bobmn
05-31-2005, 06:21 AM
woods walker: check out a sled I found. called the beast by big foot snow monster sleds. made by emsco group of Girad, PA 16417. found it at Fleet Farm in the toy department. very heavy duty and inexpensive. traces use electrical conduit with poly rope run inside conduit. hooks to eye bolts on the sled attached to waist belt. red and blue color in toy department and a camo for twice as much $ in hunting department.