PDA

View Full Version : Patrick's sleep system (Geezer Pleezer)

Tim in Nevada
05-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Is the blue foam mat under the B/A insulated air core matress just one of the cheap, generic, Wally World blue pads, or a specific kind?

Patrick
05-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Tim--

I bought it from REI. I don't know anything about the Walmart variety. Say, you're not a geezer...yet!

Smokepole
05-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Patrick:

For us new guys, could you please explain your system? I did a search for "geezer" but could not find it.

Patrick
05-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Smokepole--

It's mostly about the padding for my geezer body. It's been a "system" for a long time because I relied on pads (plural) to provide enough comfort, whilst being lightweight.

In truth, the Big Agnes pad I now use is comfortable enough all by itself. Tim is referring to the Blu Foam pad I use beneath the BA in below-15* conditions to give it ( the Big Agnes) extra warmth, not padding comfort. Got it?

Rusty Hook
05-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Smokepole, if I rember right, Patrick uses a blue foam pad under a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad. The interior insulation is suposed to take you down into the teens. The pads are two and a half inches thick, very good for older bones on hard rocky ground...Rusty.

Kevin B
05-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Big agnes air cores rock. I got chilly when using a certain infamous yet effective piece of equipment over one. I'm adding the closed cell foam zrest or other mat for ground insulation this year. I figure the temps were in the 20's that night. I do sleep colder than all my hunt pards though so, there's a fudge factor there.

CCH
05-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Having witnessed Patrick inflate the BA, you might want to refer to it as the "Geezer Wheezer". /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sorry Patrick, couldn't resist.

Chris57
05-07-2005, 09:05 PM
I adopted the BA with a ridgerest underneath after hearing about Patricks system. I use the ridgerest all the time, just for protection of the BA pad.

The BA pad seems pretty thin skinned (but super comfortable).

Patrick, do you use the BA pad directly on the ground?

Bonasus
05-09-2005, 02:57 PM
I used my BA insulated aircore on bare ground recently in my first wilderness test of my 6-man tipi (well, wilderness such as it is here in the East.) In about 4 nights of use on bare ground, I have not yet seen signs of damage.

Dean
05-09-2005, 04:28 PM
I used my BA for 10 days in the coast mountains of BC this past year. Slept on rock, grass , brush all on the bare bottom and have had similar results ( no visible wear ) . My NE outings don't even count IMHO. One thing that bugs me about it is is on uneven ground it is hard to keep from sliding off it, anyone else having this problem ? Any ideas on how we can make it non-skid? Those hill are steep in BC. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Patrick
05-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Chris, et al--

I picked your Q up just before I haed out for some testing of bags--on my BA! Iused the first BA a lot last summer with nothing beneath. Wound up with it not staying up all night. I could not find the leak--and I have LOTS of experience at that. I finally phoned BA and told 'em I was stumped. They said they had had some "unexplained leaks"--that they understood exactly my problem, and they replaced my pad.

So. Nobody seems to know whether this leak that claimed my pad is "damage" or what I fear--"age". I have been using my new pad with a very lightweight rip-stop type fabric underneath. Lighter than a blufoam pad, but I hope giving protection from abrasion, etc. We'll see.

Dean, the only advice I have for sliding off is that you just need to find that "just right" level spot. Hint: the whole tipi doesn't have to inhabit a level spot--just that little "sweet spot" for your pad.

flatlander
05-09-2005, 06:48 PM
I had the same problem last fall on my BA pad. I took 100% silicone and thinner and mixed it up and painted some narrow strips on the top of the pad in the spots my shoulders and waist and feet/ calves hit. I havent yet tried it and dont know about its durability, but am hopeful. :p

Chris57
05-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Noticed A couple BA tips at least what works for me.

One: I like to use it a top the ridge rest, fully inflated. Than I slip in and reach back to my right upper side of pad, and slowly allow the air out feeling my hips drop in to pad level.

Really feels decadent. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Very nice. From there, I can side sleep or whatever.

Lucky me, I haven't experienced any leakage!

Chris57
05-09-2005, 08:58 PM
P.S. Anyone know where to find "Grip Eze"? It may work on a slipping pad.

More importantly someone mentioned it to keep the lumbar pad from creeping down the body. Seems Patrick was open to giving it a try.

I just don't find it anywhere.

Thanx, Chris

Vernon
05-10-2005, 04:39 AM
Regarding the slipping problem I have a can of Slip Fix that Cascade Designs (the Thermarest people) used to sell. You spray it on your pad and it drys to a light tackiness that keeps you from sliding off. Looks like it disappeared around 1999. I found a discussion at thebackpacker.com (http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/thread/10285,-1.php) that had the following:

ďAh, the long lost "Slip-Fix". Talk about your toxic fumes, LOL! I sent a msg to the Thermarest folks asking about it and this was the reply:

No more. Look for "Racquet Grip", "Seam Grip" or use bathtub decals. Thanks

Olga Skinner
consumer service
Cascade Designs
4225-2nd Ave South
Seattle WA. 98134
Main:1-800-531-9531 (1456)
olga.skinner@cascadedesigns,com

Guess I'll use my can of Slip Fix sparingly and it should last a long time since I make pads last forever. Better go check and make sure it hasn't dried up or something.

Ralph
05-10-2005, 06:39 PM
WalMart sells the rubbery netting used as drawer liners and non-skid pads. You can also use a strip of carpet underlayment cut it about 12" wide and long enough to warp around the pad with a 4-6" overlap. Either glue or hand sew 2-3 velcro strips to the overlap. Wrap around the pad at either shoulder or hip level (heaviest) with overlap DOWN. This keeps pad from skidding and bag from skidding off the pad. I fold mine up to fit in the bag stuff sack. Never weighed it but I doubt it goes more than a couple of ounces. Worth it not to have to play inch-worm several times a night.

You might be able to get by by gluing 2-3 narrow strips - maybe 4-6" wide and maybe 3-4' long- to the top and bottom of the pad at the shoulder to hip level. That would cut the weight considerably.

Woodland Girl
05-11-2005, 08:30 AM
When Ksnake and I went to the E. Coast Rondy, we both used our ridgerests. It's what we always use and though it does not add the comfort of the blue pad you speak of, it does provide the warmth you need between you and the ground. We both slept on the snow and the only thing between us and the snow was our sleeping bags and ridge rests. Ridge rest - a definite butt pleezer.

Vernon
05-13-2005, 07:10 AM
I don't know about ridge rest's - never used them. I used Therma-rest and Therm-a-rest UL for years and last year used Pacific Outdoor Equipment's Insul-Mat (similar to the BA insulated air mat) and found it excellent. I did use the Z-rest once and found it fairly uncomfortable though it does insulate well (a section of it now serves as a sit pad for cold weather hikes).

William Clunie
05-13-2005, 09:31 AM
BA is the only sleeping bag company that I know of using a compartment built into the bags to hold the sleeping pad. It works for stopping the slipping mentioned above.
My favorite cold weather pad is the ExPed insulated air mattress. It's like the BA, nice and light, and comfortable to those of us with back problems.
William Clunie

Smokepole
05-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Big Agnes fans--the literature on the REI website says that the BA sleeping pad packs down to the size of a 1-litre water bottle--is that accurate? They're having a 20% off sale until Sunday.

Rusty Hook
05-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Smokepole: It is accurate, and that's a great price. Rusty.

Smokepole
05-14-2005, 04:44 AM
OK, thanks Rusty, it's on order.

Macawber
05-14-2005, 04:47 AM
I've finally succumbed and will order a Big Agnes too!

Vernon
05-14-2005, 05:56 AM
William and all,

Big Agnes isn't the only sleeping bag company using a sleeve to hold a sleeping pad. Western Mountaineering (my favorite bag company /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ) has their Pod Series (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&ca t=Pod%20Series) that actually comes with POE's Insul-Mat sleeping pads. I suppose you could get one without the pad - I would try since I already have the Insul-Mat. WM is American owned and built (just to hijack a concern from another thread here) /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

imported_kutenay
05-14-2005, 06:24 AM
I have had a Feathered Friends bag, now known as the "Great Auk" since 1989 and it has a Gore-Tex shell. This bag has the pocket for a Thermo-rest and is rated to 32*F, it is extremely light and I have slept in it down to -10C measured with my thermometer, in reasonable comfort.

I would buy a 15* pod in a heartbeat, IF, they would make them with Dryloft shells and I would replce that "W's KS" bag with one.....even for remote locations.

Ksnake
05-17-2005, 05:52 AM
Woodland Girl, Actually we had a duel pad setup for that trip. I put the Thermarest inflatables on top of the Ridgerest closed cell foam pads. We didn't slide off because I used a shovel (thanks Ken) to mold the snow into a shape to keep that from happening (flat in the middle, slightly raised around the edge). Camping on snow is so much easier for that reason. Never have to worry about sliding. If you start, you can just readjust the snow.

Also FYI, the blue foam pad is basically the same as the Ridgerest foam pad we use. Just a different company that makes them, and the blue one is a lot cheaper.

Ed T
05-17-2005, 06:21 AM
Vernon,

The WM bags are US made, but I'm not sure on the pads, I believe they are from off shore.

Ed T

Woodland Girl
05-17-2005, 06:33 AM
Well now Ksnake, no wonder I was so comfy cozy! Now I remember your efforts and they were well worth it.

Kevin
05-17-2005, 06:35 AM
Ksnake, you're spoiling that girl.

Vernon
05-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Ed T,

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that POE pads were US made, just the WM bags.

Dave R.
05-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Checked it out...WM is made in San Jose, a factory on U.S. Soil....hmmmmmmmmmmm, we must have missed that one on the "other" thread eh???

Dave

Ed T
05-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Vernon,

No offense taken. WM is as good as it gets.

As far as US made, I wonder if anyone has searched where the down comes from. My guess is nearly all is from Asia.

Ed T

Ksnake
05-17-2005, 05:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by kevin:
Ksnake, you're spoiling that girl. </div></div>Not really, I made her carry it all. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif <kidding>

Vernon
05-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Dave R.,

Yeah, WM is made in the US, so is Feathered Friends - in Seattle. Kinda makes you wonder when JW's website has pictures of "Inside The Only Sleeping Bag Factory In The USA." I'll stick with WM thank you very much.