PDA

View Full Version : Its Here! ?'s on stove smoke, Pics

cutty
05-01-2005, 10:44 PM
I finally got it! My 8-man tipi and large stove are here. I love them, and are exactly what i need. I have a few question about the stove though, I fear that I am not setting it up right. When I ran it the first time tonight, It ran great, and the temp really soared, despite it bein around 15 deg outside. but, It did get smokey inside, and all my clothes smell like it. I suppose I really don't care about smelling like the smoke, but I don't think that is supposed to happen. The Pipe collar has a gap around the edges were I set it into the stove and put the pipe on it. also, you can see the glowing fire around the bottom edges now that the stove has warped. What else might be wrong, or are these things normal? It didn't get intolerable in there, but it was smokey.
So, How do you guys avoid the smoke smell when hunting? I have never used a fire while hunting, mostly because of the smell, and don't want it to be a major issue.
Also, for you guys that carry your tipis everywhere, do you light it up in the morning when you wake up, cook and get dressed, then wait and wait till the stove and pipe are cool enough to pack up and move on? It seems like a long time to wait, and I don't want to wake up early enough to finish this packing process in time to be ready to hunt by the witching hour. One of the reasons that I got the tipi was to not be tied down. It seems that I would be tied down If I wanted to start a fire in the morning, as I would have to leave it to go hunt, and then come back to pack it. What do the para-tipi guys do? Do you pack it up every morning and move on? Thanks for the Help, Dan
Here is my brother holding my son in my backyard, with a great tipi.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/purist1/hunting/IMG_2924.jpg

cutty
05-01-2005, 11:05 PM
One more thing...I fear that I am getting the pole in there too tight. THe cone is really stretching when I'm done. This pic is when I just got it tight. The last time I did it I really got it tight, trying to get it to the dbl hole. THe walls were sd straight as they have evr been too, as they were dished slightly in the photo. How tight do you push up the center pole, and who tight do you pull the pegs?
So, smoke out in tipi? Smoke smell? and how tight? thanks, Dan

Ken
05-02-2005, 10:33 AM
cutty- Congratulations! I had a puff or two of smoke over the weekend in my 8-man...more than normal. I chalked it up to wet conditions...once the stove got up to temp, all the smoke diassapeared. Normally it is not an issue for me. I'd give it some time, and concentrate on a quick hot ignition. That should alleviate the smoke problem.

Try adjusting out the pipe collar...mine has three grooves to vary the diameter...maybe yours was not fully expanded to fill the hole in the top of the stove?

Try bringing a pair of leather work gloves with the stove. Once you are done cooking and want to get moving, quickly pop off the stove pipe and carry the stove outside the tipi to dump it out. Once the coals and ashes are gone things cool down in a hurry.

Have fun!

Ken
05-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Oh...BTW...I don't think there is such a thing as too tight with these tipi's...hopefully Patrick will chime in here...

copper
05-04-2005, 07:00 AM
I agree with Ken, if you dump the fuel source, the stove will be packable in a few minutes. I think the biggest learning curve for a new tipi owner is getting comfortable with what you can get away with. Flames shooting out the top like a torch-nothing's gonna melt. Pulling like mad on the fabric-nothings going to tear. Couple pinholes-nothings going to get soaked.

Levi
05-04-2005, 07:55 AM
Cutty, if the stove is along I certainly fire it up in the morning. At first I too sat around and waited for the stove box to cool down before moving it. Now days, as soon as were done eating I put on the little white gloves that came with the stove, pop off the stove pipe, and very gently pick up the stove and dump it outside. In a matter of just a few minutes, at the most, everything is cooled down enough to pack up.

Like Copper mentioned, there is a certain learning curve I think everyone goes through with the tipi/stove at first. By the looks of your excellent pitched tipi though, it appears your well on your way!

Enjoy...

Levi

12 Man
05-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Hey congrates on the new setup.Recently got a new 12 man and just love it.I noticed the gap around the stove pipe collar but never experienced any smoke getting in except when i opened door to put in more wood.I am not a packpack hunter and changed out the top for a thicker material and had a collar welded to the top with the approp.slots for spark arresters.works great doesn,t warp and is a nice stainless surface for doing grill cheese sandwichs on.Getting the pitch on the tipi right is kind of a trick at first,practice, practice.As for the smoke smell on clothes Fred G Asbell says it is a good cover scent when in the bush, seems the critters smell smoke more than we think and don,t get to alarmed by it.good luck and enjoy.

wyoelk
05-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Dont overload the stove too much at the start. My small stove will only smoke for perhaps 10 seconds and then starts drafting very well. I dont even worry about the fit on the top collar all that much. I can see light between the collar and the stove top. Keep practicing and you will have it figured out in short order. Let me know the next time you have that thing setup. Would love to see it. As for lighting the stove in the morning, there is nothing sweeter than reaching one arm out of the bag, lighting that puppy up and relaxing for another 10-15 minutes. You then get out of your bag into a nice warm tent.

cutty
05-04-2005, 10:31 PM
wyoelk-It's up right now in my backyard, and will be through the weekend, call me and come over whenver. I will pull the stove out too when you come. Bring your willys bag. 760-5969 or 742-4544.

Everybody else, Thanks for all the input! I was wondering if smoke would even alarm, or act as a cover scent. Do you know where the article is that G. Fred said that? I would be itnerested.
Cutty

12 Man
05-05-2005, 06:50 AM
It was in an article in Traditional Bowhunter Mag.i believe.Have to look through old mags.to find.Best of luck...

wyoelk
05-05-2005, 06:52 AM
In Cheyenne for rest of week. Will give you a call on Saturday.

cutty
05-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Just let me know, I have quite a few of those (TBM) laying around, maybe I'll have to dig them out. Any idea on how long ago? cutty

Ed T
05-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Cutty,

Opne the pipe collar as far as you can after putting it into the stove pipe, then tighten the wing nut and last put into the stove. Don't worry about seeing fire glowing around the collar or sides. There is some warping, especially with the large stove but they are not designed to be airtights. You will have to play with types of wood, amount and size as well as the ember screens and draft intake. In a short time you will be able to get a good fire going with little or no smoke in the tipi. I usually leave the door open slightly when first starting the fire to help with the up-draft.

In my experience, smoke has no effect on game. At least with mulies and elk. I have had many instances both in tipi's and cabins where game has walked right by a camp with the stove burning. Last September, I stoked the wood stove in the cabin at dusk, smoke was blowing across the gulch and not fifteen minutes later elk walked out in the meadow. A few minutes later a couple bulls started bugleing and raking trees with their antlers. This continued for several hours. The elk were within 300 yards of the cabin and the smoke was blowing toward them.
I have also many times had a warming camp fire during the day's hunt where I got well smoked, only to get very close to elk and deer soon after.

Ed T

William Clunie
05-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Wood smoke is an effective, natural cover scent. I've had moose, deer, coyote, etc. "visit" the tipi after a good burn at night. The smoky smell hasn't negatively effected my hunting either.
I use "Vanishing Hunter" (www.hawgslimited.com) on my sweaty skin during extended hunts and any of the scent-eliminating underarm deoderant on my pits. It might be over kill, but it's fun getting close to game. (remember, 99% of hunting in Maine is at close range).
William Clunie