PDA

View Full Version : Finally ordered a LH

imported_kutenay
04-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Well, I finally decided exactly what Kifaru pack would best suit my needs and make it easy for my elderly carcass to pack gear into and meat out of the bush. So, this ayem, I phoned the charming lady at Kifaru and ordered a Longhauler with duffle and now, I cannot wait to test it out.

I am grateful to all those on this site and 24hr campfire-backpacking who have replied to my queries concerning divers packs. I have owned and used a pile and have found that I still am not always sure what is best; I had a hell of a time deciding between the Siwash and the LH. Finally, I decided that, since rucks and stuffsacks that I currently own will fit on the LH, it would be the better choice.Now, to find out if I can wingshoot my little Browning BSS-Sidelock while wearing this pack, THAT would really make me happy.

BTW, Patrick, whoever the lady is that answers your phone, she is just so nice, knowledgable and helpful that you should always keep her around. Some equipment makers answer the phone in a way that implies that they think that they are doing you a favour by deigning to take your money......your folks have been just super each time I have called, thanks!

Rusty Hook
04-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Kutenay, you can't go wrong by starting with a LH. Welcome to the club. I am sure that you will enjoy your pack. Now comes the hard part; waiting for it to get to you...Rusty.

Patrick
04-26-2005, 09:01 AM
Hi kutenay--

We'll get on your pack asap. Amanda says thanks for the kind words. You'll have a blast wingshooting with that little shotty gun gem from the gunbearer.

Shawn
04-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Kutenay,

I remember this discussion a month or two ago...You had mentioned that you didn't like the pack coming up above your shoulder line. It sure does on the LH, but it sure is a great pack.

My buddy has the Siwash and loves it. Probably couldn't go wrong with either. But the LH really takes all the weight off the shoulders, especially when carrying a long rifle. It is more comfortable for mountain rambling than the Siwash IMHO.

Either way, good choice and good luck!

imported_kutenay
05-03-2005, 04:59 PM
That was a signifigant aspect of my decision, I have rather mangled legs due to very severe childhood injuries and subsequent surgical errors, so, I am much more picky about my packs, boots and so forth than I used to be. Comfort just seems more important, somehow, must be gettin' old or soft or whatever.

I don't mind paying top dollar for my gear, BUT, I am a real stickler for performance and very few equipment makers that I have tried produce gear that consistently meets my standards. I have owned exactly TWO packs before this, the LH will be my 25th pack in just over 40 years, that met my standards and it was stolen! So, I am very eager and expect that my hunting ability will vastly increase while wearing the LH.

Next, a 6 man, maybe then a Paratipi and that should do it, I hope!

Kevin B
05-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Lemme know kute when you want to have a little one on one with a 6 man. You can borrow mine if you like for a time afield. Just not in late September this year, that's my high hunt. It's great to have a hands on before you plunk down this kind of $. I got lucky and was right that the 6 was the ticket, I was shooting the middle. 8 too much to pack for 2 guys, 4 too small for my desire for space for 2... anyhow. If I were a soloist, as you apear to be I might be more inlclined to a 4, but the whole standing up in the center is a real hooker.

Anytime, we can arrange a brief or extended inspect/trial should you desire.

imported_kutenay
05-03-2005, 09:29 PM
I have two hunting partners for fly-in trips into remote B.C. wilderness, so, need a 6 man min. I thank you for your very generous offer, but, I never borrow anything from anyone, if, I don't have it, I do without.

I would like to inspect one and set it up, maybe this will be possible this summer, if convenient for you. I may be able to get down to WA. for a bit and that would be fun.

I have found that, when solo, you really NEED more space and the ability to stand up, if you're going to be in the bush for any time past about one week. I have lived in tiny plywood shacks about the same size as this tipi for three months on end, with only one mid-season sipply flight and have been fogged in for extended periods while doing this; consequently, I want a decent sized base camp tipi for serious hunting trips where I am alone for several days.

Carriage trade gear costs, but, the rewards of being able to fly into extreme isolation with a total camp that weighs about 30 lbs. and that you can actually LIVE in, make it worth the cost to me. Anyway, we geezers need our comforts!

Kevin B
05-03-2005, 09:43 PM
You let me know Kute. I completely understand. My experience says my stuff good forever, borrowed stuff good for this trip till I ruin it. DOH!

Anytime you want to inspect give me a heads up. I'm in Everett but maybe could meet you half way. The reason I remarked on less size for solo is that the six AND stove combo means you've got roughly 10 to 11 lbs in the set up, before clothes, rifle, cookware, water, food and pack. (water not likely an issue where you go).

Now you can measure your "correct" pole hight and take a string to match and cut a local fir or blowdown and leave the pole, that'll save at least 1 lb. If you are also a barbarian like me you can stash some pegs or other re-use items that you burry on a scout trip for next time and drop another lb. I usually get someone anoyed at this point. Anyhow, the six will let you stand. You'll clean down the side walls from time to time as you move because your full stand radius is maybe 3 feet with pole in the middle and stove to move around.

I know where you can see an 8 as well if you'd like comparison. Isn't this a grand time of year? Hunting season is new on the horizon and visions of gear and locales dance on the head, love spring.

pintlers
05-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Kutenay,

You shouldn't have much longer to wait. I ordered my LHG on 14 April and got it today. Yipppeeee! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Patrick and team,

You sure make a great pack. I haven't done anything more than try to get it adjusted but the pack is even more than expected after reading all the great things on the board here. Can't wait to break it in on a hike which unfortunately can't be this weekend. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Thanks for making such a great product!

Ken
05-16-2005, 09:44 PM
Fly-in? Two partners??...I'd be thinking 12 man! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sundles
05-17-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm with Ken.

imported_kutenay
05-17-2005, 08:54 AM
Well, as I said, the 6 man is my minimum choice and the guys I go with all have their own sleeping tents. A bigger tipi would be great, but, the problem in B.C. is the very steep terrain plus thick bush; finding a "footprint" area for even a 6 man is difficult at times. So, I figured that the 6 man would sleep me, be the kitchen/dining area and still be a backpackable basecamp for solo trips.

There is also a weight issue as most of the planes are 185s and such and the pilots are real p****s about any excess weight. They will make you leave gear in the bush if they are not satisfied with your gear and game weight total....kinda rugged to leave a Kifaru 12 man for the elements!

imported_kutenay
06-27-2005, 01:27 PM
Today, which happens to be my birthday, the Longhunter Hauler and Paratipi arrived, Yahoo!!!!

What a really neat rig and I have never put a more comfortable pack on my back, especially the waistbelt, which is just brilliant. I think that this will be my regualr hunting pack because you can do so much with it and the weight is so low. I am going to take it to my gunclub and practice shooting with it on, it seems as though it should work without hacking my stocks off.

Patrick, Amanda, Kevin at Kifaru and all other Rhinos there, thankyou for a really fine pack and tipi, thhe courteous service and just for being good people; I will be ordering from you again and recommending you to everyone I know.

Kevin
06-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Kutenay, just to minimize confusion, this Kevin does not work at Kifaru.

Ksnake
06-27-2005, 05:10 PM
This opens up a good question. Or a stupid one depending on how you look at it. If you are hiking mountains, on foot, finding a footprint for one to sleep can sometimes be difficult, let alone for two or more under the same roof. What do you do if you have one tipi, three (or more) people, and rough terrain? (backpacks, no animals to pack in cots) I know the obvious answer is to keep walking until you find a spot, but are there other options? Personally I cant think of any, but figured I'd toss that one out there. Thoughts?

Kevin
06-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Remember, since the tipi is floorless, you can pitch it even if there is a bush or rock in the middle. It's less of a problem than with a floored tent of the same footprint. I have pitched the paratipi with only for a suitably level spot for my bed, and rocks everywhere else.

Ksnake
06-27-2005, 05:36 PM
I know what you mean. But I was wondering if anyone had some creative ideas.

My friends and I usually sleep in the open, or under a tarp, which is even less restrictive as far as footprints go, and usually we are still spread out due to this issue. Which is why I was wondering what people with tipis do when they only pack one.

Like I said, probably a stupid question. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Levi
06-27-2005, 06:49 PM
ksnake, often times due to pitching close to trees or large rocks I am unable to get all the stakes into the ground to secure our 4 man tipi. To date I have had it pitched with three missing stakes and it holds up remarkably well. This helps out when pitching it in them not so perfect locations.

Levi

Woods Walker
06-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Levi.

Have you ever attached a rope to the tipi tie down and the stake? This way you could more the tipi stakes around some to find a rock free spot? I have done this with our rock fill soil in the North East and it worked great.

Shawn
06-28-2005, 06:43 AM
That is a good idea WW..I'm gonna try that.

Levi
06-28-2005, 12:43 PM
WW, I agree that is a good idea.

Even when I can get all the tipi stakes into the ground successfully I usually end up staking out some of the tie downs as well. This gives me some additional room inside our 4 man, as well as makes the entire structure that much more rigid. Seems like staking out three or so of these tie downs fits the bill perfectly.

I never have tried your idea exactly as you described, but will give it a whirl next time I run into a large rock or tree root...Thanks!

Levi

imported_kutenay
06-30-2005, 05:14 PM
Well, after playing with the Longhauler for a few days, I realized that a Rendevous bag would be a good thing to have for the Sheep and hopefully Elk trips this coming autumn. So, a call to the always charming and helpful Amanda and now a Rendevous will be mailed to me, probably after the holiday weekend. I am VERY impressed with this whole rig and, for anyone who is dithering, I would strongly advise getting a Longhunter in the bag size that you need for your hunting conditions; I have nothing but praise for this pack.