PDA

View Full Version : Tipi's and Mice

Ridgerunner1
04-25-2005, 09:10 AM
A dumb question but one that I have wondered about when debating whether to go to a tipi system as opposed to a tent. How do you keep the mice out of the tent when you are sleeping? I can't seem to get used to the idea of being able to sleep well when I've got those little guys running around the tent and on me in the middle of the night. Any advice or do you just put up with them.

Rusty Hook
04-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Ridgerunner, I don't think it is a dumb question, I've just never had it happen. If a mouse really wants to get into a tent, they just chew their way in. There is nothing you can do that I know of to stop that, so it doesn't really matter whether you sleep in a floorless or floored tent...Rusty.

razorsharp
04-25-2005, 11:04 AM
A good question. My experience is that the little buggers do not chew through anything unless there is food inside.

I've had them in the tipi. My fear is that they will chew through my beloved pack. They also make a enough noise to keep me sleepless.
Interestingly, I only have a problem with them at higher elevations. So now I pack a small trap when going high.
I've also played around with the idea of setting up a few, small, figure-4 traps. The one time I did try this I found it too much hassle.

jimd
04-25-2005, 11:17 AM
That wasnt a stupid question. Here is a stupid question. Anyone ever play with the sonic repellants? They are making them ever smaller, but I have never tried one and dont even know if they really work.

razorsharp
04-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Jim..they probably cause cancer. Besides, mice taste good in a stew!

jimd
04-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Everything causes cancer /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Kevin
04-25-2005, 11:34 AM
I bring a small bag of chips, and mash the chips into little bitty pieces. I then put the pieces about 20 feet from my tent. The mice ignore me, and eat chips all night. They seem to be very fond of corn chips...

Sounds stupid, but I had a couple that were engaged in a track meet on my sleeping bag last summer, and this cured the problem. Never heard a mouse the other two nights.

Yolla Bolly
04-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Kevin----I used to do the same, only with sunflower seeds, until one night I heard the "mouse". After a few minutes at the seed pile about 60 feet from my bedroll, it came closer and made deep-throated sounds. It probably only weighed 200 lbs, but in the beam of the little maglite, looked much larger. It was brown---and had big teeth---but since it was not in AK or the Rockies, it ran away when I got up and shouted like an idiot----I haven't put seeds out since---call me a wuss.

DJ
04-25-2005, 12:35 PM
But it did keep away the mice, right?

Kevin
04-25-2005, 12:58 PM
So far, I haven't had any bears in camp...coyotes, but not bears.

I don't live in grizzly country, so I'm okay with bears being around.

Bushcraft
04-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Depends on the degree of local infestation and maybe temperature/precipitation. I've had a full attendance track meet with a simultaneous three ring circus and ultimate fighting championship. Brought four traps and all four were sprung every night AND every day. This was in warm/dry September bowhunting conditions. Got sick of it and made a drown trap. Take a five-gallon bucket (horse camp) and put about 5 inches in the bottom. Smear bacon grease, peanut butter, cheese, etc., on the inside of the bucket just under the lip and create an opportunity for them to have to jump over top to investigate where all those delicious smells are coming from. Presto!

If you don't want it chewed by mice or chipmunks...I think the best bet is to just hang your gear up!

Gerard E
04-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Ridgerunner, I set a trap just on the edge of the tipi, next to my little woodpile. I'd recommend just keeping the groud clean of any food. My first major mistake was taking a bag of mixed nuts into the tipi. The thought process was to eat them and burn the shells, (Eat and heat). Never again. I had furballs running around and in my hair just as I was dozing off. Keep it clean and you'll sleep better.

AbnMedOps
04-25-2005, 09:06 PM
Rodent infestation!

As if that's not bad enough, along comes Mr. Snake to eat mice...and then, with his belly stuffed, crawls in to conduct a little comparison sleep test of Wiggy's vs. Big Agnes sleeping bags.. AAAAGHH!!!

At the minimum, it's the last time you ever talk your girlfriend / wife / etc. to go camping.

We need a Manhattan Project to perfect the hammock-tipi-stove concept and get up off the ground! (and maybe even a hammock for two?)

-AbnMedOps

dan garcia
04-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Isn't the whole point of having a tipi and stove that you can cook in it? This has been the selling point to me, but now I'm having 2nd thoughts. I like the idea of spreading out potato chips until the mice start to develop heart disease, and some ambulance chaser sues Lays, Frito Lay, and Pringles for several million and the price of a big grab bag of chips goes up to $35.00 a bag. I'd use my tipi mainly for backpacking and backpack hunting, I don't own any horses so using the bucket method, while it sounds like a great solution for me isn't an option. Is it against the law to take a cat onto national Forest land?

Gary
04-25-2005, 11:59 PM
The only problem I see with the cat is if you pack him in, are you going to pack him back out? Remember if it does what you want, it'll be heavier. I know if I had a chance to drop a cat off 20 miles from home, it'd be a goner. Actually if I got a cat that far from the house & the wife, I'd just shoot it before I went into the woods.
Gary

Travis Scott
04-26-2005, 06:08 AM
If my wife heard you say that, she'd shoot you, I think she loves our housecat more than she loves me!

razorsharp
04-26-2005, 07:20 AM
What about a cat decoy--either folding or inflatable?

Catfish
04-26-2005, 08:05 AM
When it comes to cats, I am a strict practitioner of the shoot and release method of management.

jimd
04-26-2005, 08:07 AM
How about a little decoy mouse tax attorney? That will scare them away, and will be much less weight.

Ed T
04-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Some of you guys must live in mouseville. We spent 21 straight days in our 8 man in 2003 while evacuated due to fire. We were camped between a creek and a hay meadow and never once had a mouse in the tipi. Lots of daddy longlegs, but no mice.

Ed T

BrooklynBen
04-26-2005, 01:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Travis Scott:
If my wife heard you say that, she'd shoot you, I think she loves our housecat more than she loves me! </div></div>:D And somehow any one of these points are NOT better reasons, in and of themselves, to shoot the poor cat??? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif