PDA

View Full Version : The Cordura Cone...seam sealing

Dave R.
04-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Someone on the board asked how to seam seal the cordura cone and wondered if the entire cone should be coated. I'm not sure what the answer was, but here is what I found. I have an older standard weight tipi so maybe this will not apply to you, but maybe it will......I only seam seal the stiches..not the whole cone. The cone has some kind of rubbery coating on the inside that seems to make it water proof. My Son and I camped last night in the rain...It rained from 10 PM till 7:30 AM very hard, and very windy in the predawn...no leaks...(we had a nice stash of dry oak to burn in the stove, life is good.) I love my tipi so much during bad weather...some other company(can't remember who it is) has a motto that says..."There is no bad weather, just bad gear!!"

So...I'm sold on just sealing the stiches...and I'm also well-sold on the method of seam sealing that uses mineral spirits and GE Silicone II to make a brushable paste.

Dave

sdyotehunter
04-26-2005, 07:49 AM
At the risk of hijacking this post I have a question about the cone...We just went on our first tipi outing and noticed that when we raise the tipi to its full height the stitching in the cone is stretched to the point where I can actually see daylight through a couple of the needle holes. Is this normal?

Sundles
04-26-2005, 07:52 AM
Yep, normal on every tipi I've owned.

Shawn
04-26-2005, 08:18 AM
I see daylight as well through my cone.

I just went ahead and sealed it anyway..Already up on the stool getting the top of my 6 man, figured I might as well put a light coat on the cone.

Dave R.
04-27-2005, 04:44 AM
Shawn..I don't get daylight showing through except for the places that have stitching....maybe mine is as heavier cloth? It seems to be similar to the material on my long hunter...also seven years old...

Dave

Patrick
04-27-2005, 05:36 AM
Long-time tipi owners know that the reason we stress seam sealing with the tipi pitched taut is so that even tho one can see "daylite" thru the stretched cone seams they are still waterproof after sealing. If we are also talking about the ability to see tiny bits of "daylite" thru the weave in the Cordura of the cone--in strong light--then you all should be aware that you DO NOT need to coat the entire cone with sealer for it to be waterproof. It comes from the factory that way. In other words, just seal the seams and you'll be fine.

Dave R.
04-27-2005, 05:56 AM
Shawn...I think the only reason I'm "splitting hairs here is that weight is weight, no matter how much it weighs....and more sealer would add weight....I know I sound like a "minutiaholic/perfectionist sicko "...I confess, I'm wired that way, and I need a 12 step recovery program. If you think I'm bad...Our Pal Two Elk is planning on removing the metal zipper tabs from his tipi and replacing them with color coded cordage to save weight...too much fun!!

Dave

Kevin
04-27-2005, 06:20 AM
Dave, scotchgard would be lighter if you're so inclined.

Shawn
04-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Dave R.,

It's your tipi man, seal it how you like! No problems here.

I used a pretty thin mix of mineral spirits and silicone, so I wasn't too worried about weight.

I too see the daylight, and have had zero problems with leaking in the cone.

12 Man
04-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Shawn how much mineral spirits to ge 2.Have been waiting for some good weather to do my 12 man.Recieved my gun bearer and have it mounted on my pack.Walking around with my gun strapped on in the house like a proud peacock.Way to go Patrick that thing is going to like a slice of heaven come fall moose hunting.Can,t wait to see partners faces when they see this.I,ll have to sleep with the thing to keep it..Thanks Patrick

Smackdaddyj
04-28-2005, 04:26 PM
I camped in my back yard this past weekend and it was raining pretty good all night. Even started with wet wood and it was dry by the time I needed most of it because I piled it around the stove as the first bit burned.

Here is the question though. Have any of you noticed that there seems to be more condensation on the seams at the inside? I ask because I noticed that there seemed to be more water there on the inside of the wall. I am trying to figure out if I may want to seal the inside of the seams as well, or if this is normal. I had no dripping and when the stove was cooking there was almost no moisture on the inside at all. But as it would cool and I would notice condensation, I also noticed that there was more at the seams. Just making sure I get the most out of the tent.

Thanks,
Smackdaddyj