PDA

View Full Version : erecting tipi (first time)

sdyotehunter
04-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Just got my tipi set up for the very first time...nothing to it! I do have one question though. In the directions concerning the center pole it talks about lengthening the pole to the "dbl" hole. I assume that means double hole, however I cannot find a double hole on my center pole, so I just lengthened the pole until it was tight. Can anyone help me out?

Patrick
04-17-2005, 11:23 AM
sdyotehunter--

Look for a smaller "hole" next to the target hole. It might be more of a "dimple" in the sense that sometimes my guys don't drill clear thru. This is just a guide, and sometimes the ground may indicate that you can only get the tipi "tight" as you say--raising the pole any further in trying to get to the "target" hole being too much.

Glad you had a cinch time of it.

sdyotehunter
04-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks, Patrick. Just thought of another question. Does the piece with all the holes go at the top of the center pole, or the bottom?
Thanks.

razorsharp
04-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Bottom. And in case you didn't catch it on this site, or in the instructions, its a good idea to put one of the smaller stakes under the pole to help keep the pole from sinking into the ground, when you first put up the pole.

Smackdaddyj
04-17-2005, 01:04 PM
In reference to using something to keep the pole from sinking into the ground...how many of you guys just use the snow platform even on normal ground? I was kind of planning on this and wanted to know what you guys did.

Smackdaddyj

razorsharp
04-17-2005, 01:13 PM
The pole sinks, to some degree, in any ground type so its just good practice to do the peg thing. I wouldn't carry the snow platform unless there was snow.

Patrick
04-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Smack--

You are a young, tough hombre, and carrying the snow platform (which will certainly work, btw) even in summer is nada to you. I'm with razorsharp, and refuse to carry anything that's heavier than a short peg. Suit yourself.

sdyotehunter
04-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks, guys! As always, I appreciate your experience.

Travis Scott
04-17-2005, 05:44 PM
How many total pegs are necessary to get the job done on the paratipi? I notice mine came w/ a few extra pegs. Got me thinking if I could get by w/ not pegging all loops? Just trying to shave some weight.

Smackdaddyj
04-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Patrick,

You must have me confused with someone else. I am not all that tough, but thanks. I was just curious and still have a lot of experimenting to do. I look forward to meeting you one day. Better be careful, your flattery has my head big...I am going to deflate it now.

Smackdaddyj

Woodland Girl
04-19-2005, 06:42 AM
Smackdaddyj,

If you ever have the chance, attend a "rondy". I attended the East Coast gathering and met some terrific people including Patrick himself.

Nothing like hanging around a warm stove inside a 16 man tipi with a bunch of like minded people!

The "rody's" are a great opportunity!

Smackdaddyj
04-19-2005, 08:04 AM
I would definately like to get to one. I intended to go to the East Coast rondy, then the one in CO, and it just seems that my other commitments keep getting in the way. I am holding out hope that one day I will get there.

Time will tell.

Smackdaddyj