PDA

View Full Version : One way to save up for Kifaru gear

ingenare
04-13-2005, 09:10 PM
One bit of advice I see here alot, and that I agree with, is to spend the money for the good gear the first time. Kifaru is a great example of that and I love my tarp/stove combo, and am looking forward to adding a 6-man and a Longhunter in the future.

I have found the one exception to that rule, that has worked out well for me. Two years ago when I first got interested in backpacking/backpack hunting I bought most of my camping/hiking shirts, jackets, and pants at Goodwill. This really did help me save money to put toward a good down bag, a pack, and a Kifaru tent/stove. At that time I was living in Seattle and I found quite a few good bits of gear, usually for about $5 each. At least in Seattle there seemed to be a fair amount of barely used gear, especially in the spring.

Some of my best items include down sweaters for both my wife and I, several weights of nylon/supplex pants, a Mountainsmith windshirt, half a dozen nylon shirts, packable raingear both W/B and nonbreathable, any type of fleece I could ever want, and a sythetic Marmot jacket. All good stuff that has served me well at a fraction of the cost. Perhaps the best part was that I was able to try out half a dozen different shirts/jakets/pants etc and find the type that works the best for me for very cash. I would hit the Goodwill about once a month, and would thumb through the clothes and buy a few new paperbacks. I was often amazed that someone would buy this stuff, not use it much, and donate it. My good luck I guess.

So am I the only "dumpster diver" around here? I thought I would share one way I found to stay on budget.
-Joe

Sawtooth
04-14-2005, 09:39 AM
You're lucky. The number of like-minded folks in our community is nil. I don't live close enough to the big cities or ski towns to find the stuff you're talking about. I guess I could always drive up to Breckenridge or Salida for a "dumpster diving road trip". /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Sgathak
04-14-2005, 09:56 AM
The ability to do this is DEFINATLY based on the community. I guess there are some places where the thrift stores get more "like new" sporting goods items than they do regular clothes.....

Spence
04-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Joe,
You're not alone, and it is very much location dependent. I feel like a vagabond when I go in those stores (mostly because 99.99% of the stuff I'm afraid to even touch), but I have to smile when I walk out with a pair of brand new North Face climbing pants for $15! I've also found two pairs of like-new goretex pants for a wallet-breaking price of $2.50 and $4.00 respectfully.

rijrunr
04-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Joe- Are you haveing that kind of luck in Moscow?
Are you turkey/bear hunting tomorrow- Hopefully the wind will die down a little.

GreatNW
04-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Count me in this crowd. North Face "long johns" top and zip up pullover both in like new condition and in international orange to boot. If memory serves me right the crew neck "long john" still had a tag on it. Got a Wyoming knife for $7 in a leather sheath with two spare blades. No way it had been used. Picked up a big buck purchase at Stupid Prices, basically an outlet for Costco returns, Bushnell YP 800 rangefinder for $150. Just nabbed an old navy flourescent orange fleece and some northern european country wool pants with double knees, elastic side cinches and other great construction for $9 out the door. I have learned to check for ripped seams and other defects. I don't buy anything from a thrift store that needs to be fixed. Like new is the goal.
Since this post is getting longer, I'll keep going. Never had shopped in thrift stores until about 7 or 8 years ago when my then jr. high daughter wanted to shop there. She won the best dressed award that year! Her older sister would only wear clothes with a GAP label. (Kind of evened out the clothing budget that year.) Got hooked on checking them out and have made many great purchases over the years. Missed on a few, b ut figured I was making a donation at that point.
Good luck! We are lucky in the NW in that we have a lot of mountain climbing wannabes who buy a lot of nice outdoor gear for everyday wear. A lot of it does seem to find its way to the thrift stores.

ingenare
04-14-2005, 06:35 PM
rijrunr,
Not so much luck in Moscow/Lewiston, but I still look into it from time to time. I did snag some packable raingear for my baby brother to take along on his camping trips, he's only 10, I'm trying to help groom a future rambler /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif .

nope, I won't make it out to hunt this week /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif , hopefully next weekend. Best of luck to you,

Randy
04-14-2005, 06:49 PM
My wife has a Gore-Tex jacket for every occasion: barn chores, skiing, hunting, go to town, and so forth. All from 2nd hand stores. I think her most expensive purchase was $7.00. Lots of good deals from time to time.

Kevin
04-14-2005, 07:27 PM
See my post on mountain bikes on how to get a cheap, good bike.

Patrick
04-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Maybe I should open my Gear Room and have a Thrift Sale. There's enough Stuff in there.

Great NW-- Middle girl was 6 feet tall and started shopping the Thrifts in Jr. High too. Real popular kid--no wallflower for the "Redwood" (her nickname) daughter. Even I had to admit the kid had a kind of hip but tasteful look.

Speaking of tasteful--International Orange????

STTAOW
04-15-2005, 07:00 AM
My favorite trail shirt is an old school flannel thing I nabbed for a buck. Even for a dollar, it'll be a sad sad day when it wears out. Location dependent is the truth. College towns get picked over faster than you can blink. I think trucks get pillaged before they even pull into the loading dock.

CCH
04-15-2005, 09:12 AM
If you are in the right spot, the thrift stores can be great. I haven't had much look at our local one.

However, I can't remember the last time I paid retail for any outdoor clothing. Between Ebay, internet classifieds, Sierra Trading Post, etc. there always seems to be a way to get apparel at a discount. Over the years, I've developed very specific and somewhat expensive tastes (merino wool being one of my main addictions), but still haven't had to pay full price. Now if anyone comes across some Ibex Wear at a thrift shop in larger sizes, I'll pay double! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Haven't had the same good fortune on Kifaru stuff however...

Patrick, when you open up the "Thrift Store" I hope you'll have a "local viewing" first!

Dave R.
04-15-2005, 01:39 PM
All...the Bargain Cave at Cabelas is a good place to hunt for deals too.. If you live far away, you can call the individual store and ask if they have what are looking for.

Dave

GreatNW
04-15-2005, 06:41 PM
Patrick, I know, I know about the international orange. I wouldn't own orange clothes at all except WA requires it during modern rifle seasons. Otherwise I'm a very boring grey, black, white, navy, khaki guy with forest green thrown in every once in a while. I don't like camo, but own a parka and bibs because they are quiet.
I've used hiking trails as jump off points around here many times and even though there are many people in the woods I'm the only one required to wear orange if I have a modern rifle tag in season. Always seemed backwards to me.
I'm 6'6" but none of my girls hit 6' (5'10" and 5'9"). I love that Redwood monicker!

Patrick
04-15-2005, 08:03 PM
GreatNW--

As the Papa of girls I'm sure you understand my Daddy's incessant worry about this very tall daughter of mine in her formative years. We're the descendents of very tall Scots; though I, myself, never quite hit six feet. (Your girls aren't exactly shrimps, btw.) The Redwood handle was bestowed on Ali (who is now our Shipping Magnate) by her classmates at Golden High School. It was a term of endearment rather than derision, much to my relief. Ali is unique--confident, magnetically sympathetic...enough on my kids! Point here is probably my vision of all 6' 6" of you resplendent in international orange! That's a tall order. Get back far enough and the sprout eaters will never see you, eh?

Gary
04-15-2005, 10:53 PM
I haven't done much shopping at Value Village, but Anchorage has some of the best garage sales in the country. Lots of folks moving in & out. In tha past 5 years, I've managed to pick up 3 pairs of Koflach boots - 2 pr. in size 10 & 1 pr in a 9. I don't like the darn things myself, but at the prices, I can't pass them up. I've gotten all 3 pr for less than $50. I've managed to recycle them to some mountinier types for around $70 a pair. Keeps me in ammo for the 338. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
Gary